2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Pioneer AVH-P3300BT Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Pioneer AVH-P3300BT Installed

I finally decided on replacing my stock H/U and went with the Pioneer unit mentioned as well as the GEX-P920XM box. I have decided to hold off on speakers,sub,or amp for now. I was going to do the install myself,but decided to pay a shop. I am pretty happy with the new H/U,and it's a great improvement on the stock radio. My primary gripe was with the iPod interface (stock). The Pioneer iPod controls are quick and easy. I can also access videos on my iPod,as well as play DVD's. I decided that a Double Din unit would look cleaner than having that shelf below the radio. I have not ruled out replacing the speakers,and/or adding a powered sub. Still trying to find the pics of the spare tire mounted sub. I don't want to give up cargo space,or have to load stuff around a speaker. I'm trying to post some pics.

Last edited by LLLC1393; 05-23-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good man. Very clean.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 PM
whered you get the kit for the install? im looking for this exact headunit!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
hi LLL. i have a heads up for you. last week, my rear view camera stopped working. so did the aux video input. it turns out that the internal fuses that protect our RCA connections pop quite frequently. just google the term "pioneer RCA ground" and you'll see a few things about this problem. and since they are inside the unit, they're not easily replaced.

this happened after i installed my HID projector retrofit. the initial draw of power when i turned the lights on was enough to pop the fuses in the deck. the unit works absolutely fine except for the function of the RCAs. meaning i can still run netflix on my phone and all other iphone functions. it's just the RCAs. i'll have to get some warranty work sent to pioneer.

i used the stock ground connected to the stock harness. when i get a new unit, i'll be sure to ground directly to the chassis with a thicker wire. i'm hoping that will prevent this problem again.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
hi LLL. i have a heads up for you. last week, my rear view camera stopped working. so did the aux video input. it turns out that the internal fuses that protect our RCA connections pop quite frequently. just google the term "pioneer RCA ground" and you'll see a few things about this problem. and since they are inside the unit, they're not easily replaced.

this happened after i installed my HID projector retrofit. the initial draw of power when i turned the lights on was enough to pop the fuses in the deck. the unit works absolutely fine except for the function of the RCAs. meaning i can still run netflix on my phone and all other iphone functions. it's just the RCAs. i'll have to get some warranty work sent to pioneer.

i used the stock ground connected to the stock harness. when i get a new unit, i'll be sure to ground directly to the chassis with a thicker wire. i'm hoping that will prevent this problem again.
I'm not sure if I'm using any RCA connectors with my current setup. I'm guessing the Pioneer XM unit is connected via a special connector and my only other connection is to the front USB and mini jack for my iPod.

As to the question of the dash kit,I was going to order from Crutchfield, but the car audio shop matched the price and threw in the install gear free. You can probably find the exact item information on the Crutchfield site,or Amazon. It seems like a standard Double Din dash kit.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM
hows the bluetooth capabilities? can you make phone calls?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT-tles Worth
hows the bluetooth capabilities? can you make phone calls?
So far I am very pleased with the bluetooth. I have a Droid Incredible from Verizon. The phone book loads very quickly,as does the call history. The calls seem clear on both ends,and I have had no complaints from callers. My only issue is that the phone book loads onto the radio with last name first. This makes for confusion when viewing many of the entries. My phone shows first name first. I am thinking of changing all of my entries on the phone at some point,but this will be a large task.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Do you mind telling me approx. how much this whole setup cost you? I'm really missing bluetooth and think there's room for improvement in the ipod interface, but have no idea how much something like your setup would cost me. Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2011_Vortex
Do you mind telling me approx. how much this whole setup cost you? I'm really missing bluetooth and think there's room for improvement in the ipod interface, but have no idea how much something like your setup would cost me. Thanks
I found myself wanting a better iPod interface and Bluetooth. The factory iPod works ok,but it get's annoying at times. I began looking at single DIN radios with built in BT for around $200. I decided that a single DIN radio didn't look that nice in the dash. I stumbled upon this Pioneer unit at a local car stereo place and it was a little more than I wanted to spend at first. The more I thought about it,the more I liked it. The radio is loaded with features,including Pandora,BT,iPod,DVD Video playback,SD card,USB,and even plays videos from your iPod(with a very expensive cable) NOTE:I see that Crutchfield is now offering this $50 cable for FREE! I missed out on that one. The price is very competitive at $450. The Sat Radio box adds $130,if that's something that you are interested in. I figured I might as well get it now,since I will probably want it later. You can order the radio from Crutchfield and they include all the installation hardware that you will need,along with detailed written instructions and telephone support. I opted to have it installed by a pro shop. You can actually buy an install card from Crutchfield and get the install price upfront. I must say that I was thinking I would have to replace the speakers,get an amp,and a sub at first. The sound from the new radio is more than adequate for me. So for $580 you could get the gear (including SAT radio)and install it yourself,or add about $110 to install just the radio. If you don't need the Sat radio right now,you could get away with $450. Crutchfield does not charge shipping,and only VA residents pay sales tax. I really like this new radio,and wonder how I got along with the stock unit for 6 months. Sorry for the long post,feel free to ask more questions,hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the quick and thorough response. Since I have a non-nav HU right now, I'm wondering how much harder that makes a swap. Is it as simple as getting the double-din trim piece for a fit with nav from Honda? I didn't realize that yours originally had nav.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2011_Vortex
Thanks for the quick and thorough response. Since I have a non-nav HU right now, I'm wondering how much harder that makes a swap. Is it as simple as getting the double-din trim piece for a fit with nav from Honda? I didn't realize that yours originally had nav.
I did not have nav before,and it is really a simple swap. You get the Double DIN install/trim kit and pop it in. The only part that might be a little involved,is running the cable for the BT mic. Like I said,it's a great radio for the money,and my only complaint it that the display washes out some in the sun. I will be tinting the windows next week, and that should reduce that issue along with the heat in the car.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
wow! the price went up a lot since earlier this year. it was $350 shipped from amazon.com. it probably has something to do with the electronic component pricing coming out of japan.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
wow! the price went up a lot since earlier this year. it was $350 shipped from amazon.com. it probably has something to do with the electronic component pricing coming out of japan.
I guess I really missed out on that one. As I stated earlier,Crutchfield is throwing in the $50 iPod cable for free. I actually got a PAC cable that nice and long for the same price at the car stereo place. The Pioneer cable is like 18 inches! That's a joke.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
i want a longer cable. i do have a generic $20 cable from amazon that works perfectly fine but it's just as short as the pioneer one.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
i want a longer cable. i do have a generic $20 cable from amazon that works perfectly fine but it's just as short as the pioneer one.
I can't tell exactly how long my cable is,but it plugs into the front of the radio,goes into the dash,and comes out where the OEM USB cable does in the upper compartment. There is still quite a bit of cable left at the that point,enough to have the iPod in the lower storage area,or someone's lap if needed. I'm sure it's available at the local car stereo place. I got mine at AutobahnNJ. The only thing I don't like is the high price. Coincidentally, it was the same price as the Pioneer. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
I can't tell exactly how long my cable is,but it plugs into the front of the radio,goes into the dash,and comes out where the OEM USB cable does in the upper compartment. There is still quite a bit of cable left at the that point,enough to have the iPod in the lower storage area,or someone's lap if needed. I'm sure it's available at the local car stereo place. I got mine at AutobahnNJ. The only thing I don't like is the high price. Coincidentally, it was the same price as the Pioneer. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I just bought the same unit as you and I have a few question.
1. The antenna cable where did you hook it up to (blue wire)
2. The green wire(the long one) where did you connect that to, is it constant to where you can watch video while driving?

Thanks for your help

Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WeaponR23
I just bought the same unit as you and I have a few question.
1. The antenna cable where did you hook it up to (blue wire)
2. The green wire(the long one) where did you connect that to, is it constant to where you can watch video while driving?

Thanks for your help
I paid a shop to do the install. I can't answer #1. There are videos on YouTube that explain how to do #2.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
you have to use a special cable to hook up the iphone?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WeaponR23
you have to use a special cable to hook up the iphone?
You can use a regular USB cable for your iPhone if you are only interested in audio playback. If you want video and/or apps, you will need to use the special Pioneer cable,or the generic equivalent that I found. The iPod navigation may also be affected by the cable you use. The special cable has a USB on 1 end that connects to the iPod/iPhone,and a dock connector and mini plug on the other on that connects to the radio. I didn't give it a second thought and bought the special cable with the radio. I also learned that you should get an insulated cable to prevent melting from the heat. There are regular USB cable that are insulated,and the special 1 is as well. You can download the owner's manual for the radio on Pioneer's website,or at Crutchfield.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
if you want something much cheaper than the official pioneer cable but works exactly like it, this is what i got. if you want a longer one, check out one of the OP's replies above.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-P3300BT Installed