2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

So I built yet another box :P

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
So I built yet another box :P

The first enclosure was 1.8cuft after all displacement tuning ended up right at 35Hz, this was good but I wanted more. I wanted lower bass extension and more air movement. Being on a very limited budget I found myself looking around my garage and noticed an old box from my CRX, which had 4 10s in it, measuring 29x29x14. So I decided to do a reclaim box from it, where I would take it apart partially and build it into a new ported box for my Sundown SA12, worked out well as I only needed to buy a small piece of MDF to finish it off so my investment was less than $10. Spax screws were reused from the original box, glue and carpet etc was all on hand. So lets see some pictures shall we?

Realize I am not concerned too much with loss of space in my hatch.

This is the top of the old box.

Next is the box after cutting it down to rough size.

Next the port parts and 45 were cut, the 45 was a scrap piece I had in my scrap bin.

Next is the port 45 in place.

As you can see in the pictures there has been use of wood filler, with this box being recycled so to speak there were holes, and other area's you will see later that needed to be filled.

Here the port is assembled and in the body of the enclosure.

And the port painted, painters tape on the top prevents extra sanding work.

Continued in the next post due to picture limits per post!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Continuing on!

So here is where I left off when I ran out of wood.

Next is where you will see the bulk of the wood filler, not to worry my DA makes quick work of this stuff when its dry, as well any hang overs or other oddities, box was nice and square when done which will be the next picture after this one.

Next is the test fitment of the sub.

And fitment in the fit.

And the final two pictures are after carpeting, the box did exactly what I expected and unless I get another hair up my rear this is my box for a while.

Much more lower bass and air movement

Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Here are a couple vids of the hatch flex and roof flex, keep in mind on the hatch the sub and port are facing up not back

YouTube - ‪Hatch flex yup I was bored.‬‏

YouTube - ‪Little more roof flex, just messing around from boredom.‬‏

And here is the sub doing its dance.

YouTube - ‪SA12 DvC4 2cuft ported box tuned at 28Hz‬‏

Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
this is awesome! how hard does it hit? this is my next project.

you used mdf board? why not plywood? i know most boxes are made with mdf, but is that a cost thing, or is it actually better?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I have not had a chance to put it on a meter yet, as for plywood you don't want to use plywood because of flexing of the wood. MDF is around $30 for a 4'x8' sheet here and a box of this size wouldn't even need a full sheet to create. If you want to use something other than MDF then go with Birch, however that is usually more costly than MDF in 3/4" thickness, birch is around $44 per 4'x8' sheet here.