2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Clarion Nav System Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Clarion Nav System Installed

This weekend I installed a Clarion NX-501 head unit in my 2010 GE.
I'm not finished yet. I still need to add a backup camera and external mike to improve bluetooth telephone reception. I also need to connect a couple of wires for the display dimmer. I installed a little microbypass 3 wire unit so I didn't have to connect the DVD to the parking brake indicator. For mounting the HU, I used the Honda factory Nav bezel and factory side brackets. Everything lined up perfectly with the Clarion. I had to trim the one of the two included Clarion trim rings to fit the gap that was present between the HU and the bezel. While I was at it, I replaced the USDM hazard switch with the JDM switch.

DVD View
Name:  photobucket-20376-1338839148366.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  71.9 KB

Map View
Name:  photobucket-8475-1338839053512.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  74.1 KB

Last edited by Rampo; 06-04-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added images
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Very nice! I was actually thinking about doing exactly what you did with the bracket and trim. Looked up the HU and it looks pretty nice too.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
im thinking of putting an aftermarket nav in my GE too.
I have a couple questions.

Did you have the NAVI fit to start with, or did you have to order the bracket,trim and screws?

Im ordering the dash trim 77251-TK6-A01ZA, the bracket 77255-TF0-000, and 4 screws 93913-14420. This appears to be what i need to install an aftermarket unit...

can you confirm this for me? Obviously the 2 din appears to fit fine as well.. none of the dealerships around here can confirm that for me.

thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
im thinking of putting an aftermarket nav in my GE too.
I have a couple questions.

Did you have the NAVI fit to start with, or did you have to order the bracket,trim and screws?

Im ordering the dash trim 77251-TK6-A01ZA, the bracket 77255-TF0-000, and 4 screws 93913-14420. This appears to be what i need to install an aftermarket unit...

can you confirm this for me? Obviously the 2 din appears to fit fine as well.. none of the dealerships around here can confirm that for me.

thanks
I can confirm the part numbers for the bezel and the brackets. Be aware that the bezel is the gray, not the black used in the 2012. I didn't need to buy the 4 mounting screws. I just re-used the ones from the old bracket. There's plenty of room in the dash for the double din HU and all the wires behind it. The opening in the bezel will be about 1/16" larger all around. You may need to fool around with different trim pieces to fill the gap. The Clarion came with two different size trim pieces. I was able to cut it down to size using the pre-scribed score lines that were molded into the piece. I also ordered a Honda Pilot trim piece just in case I screwed up the trimming of the Clarion trim, but it turns out I didn't need it.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
I can confirm the part numbers for the bezel and the brackets. Be aware that the bezel is the gray, not the black used in the 2012. I didn't need to buy the 4 mounting screws. I just re-used the ones from the old bracket. There's plenty of room in the dash for the double din HU and all the wires behind it. The opening in the bezel will be about 1/16" larger all around. You may need to fool around with different trim pieces to fill the gap. The Clarion came with two different size trim pieces. I was able to cut it down to size using the pre-scribed score lines that were molded into the piece. I also ordered a Honda Pilot trim piece just in case I screwed up the trimming of the Clarion trim, but it turns out I didn't need it.
Thanks for confirming! I dont have the sport, so i think the grey is the right colour for my dash.(im a 2012 LX).. actually come to think of it im not 100% sure which colour i have lol.. is the 2011 grey very slightly brown? that what i have. i cant find any pictures of the 2012 sport interior with good lighting to see the colour.

okay i wont order those screws then.

Can you elaborate more on the pilot trim piece? maybe i can buy it off you if i happen to need it when i get my HU.

Im also thinking of adding the rear view camera at some point. let me know how that goes.

Did you have handsfreelink installed before you added the HU? I have HFL wired up with my stock radio right now, and im wondering if its possible to retain this functionality after swapping out my stock system. the bluetooth module is located under the dash, so i figure it should still work...

Last edited by connor55; 06-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Connor55 don't have much info on the Honda Pilot trim piece. I ordered it from Amazon based on other forum posts. It was the Metra 95-7861 kit for the '03-'07 Honda Pilot. Unfortunateley, it hasn't arrived. I'll try it out when I get it and see if it looks any better than the existing set up.

I started looking at mini cameras. I want to remove the rear wiper and mount it in the hole that's left. I think I need a camera around 22-25mm in diameter.

I don't know too much about the hands free link. I would think that it's probably tied in with the existing radio. If you get a HU with built in bluetooth, then you won't need the old unit and could probally easilly sell it.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Alright, I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Clarion NX602 pretty soon here. Was there any odd or annoying things you ran into while installing that I should look out for? Where did you buy your HU? Could you give me a link to where you got the bypass?

Last edited by x4x5x1x; 06-25-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x4x5x1x
Alright, I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Clarion NX602 pretty soon here. Was there any odd or annoying things you ran into while installing that I should look out for? Where did you buy your HU? Could you give me a link to where you got the bypass?
I bought my unit from Amazon (NX501 - it was introduced early in 2011)

I also got the bypass from Amazon. Search for "Clarion MicroBypass". This is a nice compact 3 wire unit that connects to ground, amp power, and the Clarion's green "parking brake wire. (don't bother connecting the Clarion green wire to anything but the micro bypass green wire) This unit allows DVD's & videos to play whether or not the parking brake is engaged. The by pass can be connected as part of the harness when you're wiring everything together, and fits nicely behind the unit.

As far as the nav antenna, mount it internally directly on the space inside the center vents with double sided tape, in a horizontal position. Do this when you remove the front bezel during installation. It's out of sight and no external wires to run. Studies have shown that the antenna will connect to the satellites just as well as if mounted externally. I have no problem seeing the satellites with this arrangement.

For my install, I purchased the Honda OEM nav bezel as well as the side brackets. Clarion provides you with two trim rings, neither of which will fit the factory nav bezel. However, no problem, the larger trim ring has score lines on the backside to help you trim to size. If you screw up the Clarion trim ring, you can buy the Honda Pilot trim ring. Let me know if you need part numbers.

Look through the forums install instructions. Plenty of good pictures. Don't forget to remove the screw from the bottom of the existing head unit before you start yanking out the bezel. Also, even if you don't plan on immediately installing a microphone, HD radio, Satellite radio, video inputs, still plug in the supplied cables during installation. You can tuck them neatly away behind the glove box area. That way if you later on want to install accessories, you can get to the connections without the need of pulling out the HU.

Last edited by Rampo; 06-25-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm going to get my HU through Crutchfield since they actully provide the navi dash trim piece with brackets for single or double din, master sheet, and wiring adapter for Hondas. With the bypass, on the ground and amp power wires will I have three wires coming together at each? From the radio, on the bypass and to the wire harness? Does that sound right? Also you left the GPS antenna esentially inside the dash? I thought I read somewhere that keeping it a certain distance away from other electronics is best. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to get my HU through Crutchfield since they actully provide the navi dash trim piece with brackets for single or double din, master sheet, and wiring adapter for Hondas. With the bypass, on the ground and amp power wires will I have three wires coming together at each? From the radio, on the bypass and to the wire harness? Does that sound right? Also you left the GPS antenna esentially inside the dash? I thought I read somewhere that keeping it a certain distance away from other electronics is best. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!
The navi antenna is separated by about six inches from the top of the HU. Where it's sitting, I don't see any electronics nearby. I can report first hand that this arrangement works with no ill affects on performance. When you remove the radio bezel, the vents also come out as part of the whole assembly. At that point you have access to this nice little space directly over the vents, where you can squeeze in the antenna. Feed the antenna wire down, and it ends up in the radio cavity, ready to be plugged into the HU.

With the bypass, connect the black bypass wire to the black on the metra and the black on the clarion harness. (all connected together -provides ground for the system)

The blue on the bypass connects to the blue/white on the metra and the blue/white on the clarion harness. (all connected together). This blue - blue/white bundle will also be used to send a signal to turn on an auxiliary amp if you have one.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
i cant find any pictures of the 2012 sport interior with good lighting to see the colour.
Here you go. For reference, here is mine. Hope it helps. I didn't know the pre-2012 color was different.

Name:  IMG_6197copy.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6184copy.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.8 KB

Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Ordered the Clarion NX602 from Crutchfield and the bypass from Amazon. Hopfully I'll have everything by Friday so I can have a weekend project =). What movie should I watch first in my far? Fast and the Furious? hahahahaha

Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
What movie should I watch first in my far? Fast and the Furious? hahahahaha
If you get stopped for driving with video you can always claim you were taking an online driving course. Lol

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for confirming! I dont have the sport, so i think the grey is the right colour for my dash.(im a 2012 LX).. actually come to think of it im not 100% sure which colour i have lol.. is the 2011 grey very slightly brown? that what i have. i cant find any pictures of the 2012 sport interior with good lighting to see the colour.

okay i wont order those screws then.

Can you elaborate more on the pilot trim piece? maybe i can buy it off you if i happen to need it when i get my HU.

Im also thinking of adding the rear view camera at some point. let me know how that goes.

Did you have handsfreelink installed before you added the HU? I have HFL wired up with my stock radio right now, and im wondering if its possible to retain this functionality after swapping out my stock system. the bluetooth module is located under the dash, so i figure it should still work...
Hey Connor,

I also have a 2012 LX and was wondering about the colour match and what your experience was on the parts listed below.

(NEUTRAL MAT GUN METALLIC) 77251-TK6-A01ZA ---> 2012
(NEUTRAL MAT GUN METALLIC) 77251-TF0-G01ZA ---> 2009-2011

Which one did you get?
How was the colour match?
Are there any differences from 2011 to 2012?

Thanks, oli

Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by olias
Hey Connor,

I also have a 2012 LX and was wondering about the colour match and what your experience was on the parts listed below.

(NEUTRAL MAT GUN METALLIC) 77251-TK6-A01ZA ---> 2012
(NEUTRAL MAT GUN METALLIC) 77251-TF0-G01ZA ---> 2009-2011

Which one did you get?
How was the colour match?

Are there any differences from 2011 to 2012?

Thanks, oli

Hey, so I got the 2009-11 version and it was perfect match! Definitely Go with that one.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey, so I got the 2009-11 version and it was perfect match! Definitely Go with that one.
crap... I ordered the other one for the 2012. It's half way here so we're going to see. I post a picture.

thanks man.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Just got delivered... and the colour is a perfect match for the 2012 LX.

Last edited by olias; 08-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just got around to taking a couple of pics of the rearview camera. Doesn't really do a great job. Probably because I mounted the camera inside, behind tinted glass. In any case it has saved me a couple of times from backing into low profile light pole bases. I just wanted to hook it up since the Clarion came with the capability.

Dash View
Name:  photobucket-1327-1348587938976.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  85.9 KB

Camera Mounting
Name:  photobucket-1637-1348587917947.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  112.0 KB

Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 PM
When ordering the HU's from Crutchfield with the wiring harnesses, trim etc, is there soldering required?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
You can either solder or use wire nuts or crimp splices. I soldered the connections and used shrink tubing to cover the connections. All connections to the Metra harness are made outside the car so you have the opportunity to clearly see what you are doing and make good secure connections.

Quick Reply: Clarion Nav System Installed