2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Who went the Bucket seat harness route?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Who went the Bucket seat harness route?

Hey guys I just wanted to get info and pics of GE owners that have done this and how they like it! I absolutely hate my stock seat with such a passion it's not even funny anymore. So I just wanted to get info on methods you guys did your seats and what you used to anchor your harness and how. Another reason why I'm asking is cause my car is so stiff I'll do runs and the car handles better than I could ever have imagined but my ass is everywhere lol. Thanks ahead of time

Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Is this car daily driven? Caged? Racecar? Back seats/no back seats? Ever take passengers?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Daily, with back seats. And I have passengers but not that often

Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly, for a daily driver, I really suggest not using full harnesses. Harnesses are great at what they do, make one as one with the vehicle. In doing so, it is also a hindrance when daily driving. When you have the need to move in your seat to see oncoming traffic say when pulling out of a parking lot, side street or what have you, you are unable to do so and it could become a safety issue. And if you wear the harness loose so you can move around then when you do need it to do its job it won't, unlike the stock belt that locks when the belt is needed to.

I'm no authority and one is free to do what they want, just offering my opinion as I tried once using my harness in my daily years ago in my 5R Teggy. I came upon the situation of pulling onto a main street from a side street that was inclined up to the main street and I was unable to see if cars were coming or not from either direction, now if I had a neck like a turtle and could extend it, maybe it wouldn't of mattered.

I do use a harness when going out on circuit. For mounting I use the J's harness bar that bolts to where the rear seats bolt into the chassis. The angle of the harness is within FIA regulations as far as safety is concerned. The lap belts bolt to the B pillar seat belt bolt area and I have a L shaped bracket on the floor bolt holding the seat in place.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 06-05-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I'm open minded to others people input, but I'm going to start tracking the car on weekends now that it's almost done being modified. I still want to be able to use my stock seat belt . I know I would go nuts if I was full harness all the time lol

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
The car has a progress RSB, T1R subframe, beat rush front subframe thingy lol, and I have a beat rush hatch support bar coming in 6 weeks and nice meaty tires thus why when I go thru turns my ass is leaving my seat lol

Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...de36s-ge8.html. Like 555sexy I track and autox my Fit. I have harnesses and the OEM seat belt for street use also installed. Cops won't let you get away with a harness. Your airbags WILL be deactivated in an accident if you install aftermarket seats. If you want back seats, you won't be able to run a harness. But if you're tracking the car you should remove the rear seats. The rear seats weigh around 80-90lbs Things to consider.

Last edited by De36; 06-06-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM
For a daily driver i'd just use a reclining bucket that can use the stock seat belt. I wouldn't mess with harnesses and harness bars and all that, it's more of an annoyance than it's worth. I'll also say this:

Fixed back buckets and harnesses are designed to be used with roll cages. The stock seat is designed to collapse in a rollover situation where the roof caves. If you do backroads runs like I suspect you do, it's probably best to keep those safety features. If you're going to have back seat passengers even occasionally I wouldn't put a roll bar, harness bar, or any of that in.

Like 555 said, it's also nice to be able to move your body forward to see around corners and stuff, a harness won't let you do that. I've run into that situation myself and it's annoying at least, dangerous at worst. It's even worse when you have a halo seat If you want the belt tight for runs or whatever just get a CG-Lock, you can take it off or disable it easily whenever you want for normal driving.

I understand the annoyance of not being held that firmly in the stock seat... I usually use my knees on the door and center console and I feel like i'm riding a motorcycle the way I have to lean lol

Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Lmfao damn even more $$$ joy I just want that extra stability. I just want to be planted better and be able to enjoy AutoX more. I know a harness on public roads is not the best idea... So reclinable bucket seat ok. I have a few in mind . Now is it possible to just have a quick weekend setup that I can bolt in and take out? Like removing the back set for events and bolting in a harness bar? My dad is a professional welder and he's pretty damn magical lol. What I know for sure is I hate my seats and it's interrupting my communication with my car haha! Thanks for all the input though guys keep it coming!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I understand the annoyance of not being held that firmly in the stock seat...
Use the dead pedal to push your pelvis into the seat back when in a turn. It will allow free movement of your upper body and right leg; to prevent sliding.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Note taken De36 thanks!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stitch32
Now is it possible to just have a quick weekend setup that I can bolt in and take out? Like removing the back set for events and bolting in a harness bar? My dad is a professional welder and he's pretty damn magical lol. What I know for sure is I hate my seats and it's interrupting my communication with my car haha! Thanks for all the input though guys keep it coming!
The Sparco harness bars (and others) are not track worthy, I've seen them collapse in an accident. "Safe" and "Quick Release" rarely go hand in hand. A custom and well designed harness bar is in order. You can not have passengers in the back seat if a harness bar is installed, its too dangerous.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Ok no one in the back if I go the harness bar route. That sounds logical lol. My dad help build the Hulk roller coaster, and help redesign space mountain at disney so he can certainly make something reliable haha

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by De36
Use the dead pedal to push your pelvis into the seat back when in a turn. It will allow free movement of your upper body and right leg; to prevent sliding.
That's true and I do that sometimes. There's some situations I can't though.

I'm sitting here in my office chair trying to figure out what I do with my feet, legs, arms, and hands to analyze this but I have no idea.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I actually went into my garage and sat in the car for a few and tried to understand too! Then I realize I can work on my car a little since I'm already in it lol

Old 06-06-2014, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
That's true and I do that sometimes. There's some situations I can't though.

I'm sitting here in my office chair trying to figure out what I do with my feet, legs, arms, and hands to analyze this but I have no idea.
Use your left leg to press on the dead pedal, pushing you straight back into the seat, and your pelvis into the seat back. It prevents you from sliding left and right. Your seat will have to be properly adjusted; upright and close enough to be able to push the clutch to the floor.

That's the real purpose of the dead pedal, to keep you stabilized.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I hate my seat... -_- I've had my Fit for 3 years and the mid back support hasn't given in.. shit is stiff as it was when I first got the damn thing lol. I can sit up right in it but not on road trips. kills my mid to low back

Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I'll have to practice that. Sometimes my left foot is busy so I use my knees. It's hard to explain I guess but imagine coming out of a tight second gear right hand increasing radius turn, upshift to third while the corner is winding out.

Originally Posted by Stitch32
I hate my seat... -_- I've had my Fit for 3 years and the mid back support hasn't given in.. shit is stiff as it was when I first got the damn thing lol. I can sit up right in it but not on road trips. kills my mid to low back
It's not the seat itself it's the seating position that's the problem. The seat sits so high it puts your back at an unnatural angle. I was driving an 80s car the other day and the seat felt fantastic despite being almost 30 years old... it was the angle even though the seat had seen better days.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member

It's hard to explain I guess but imagine coming out of a tight second gear right hand increasing radius turn, upshift to third while the corner is winding out.
Even though my fit is a dual clutch I think I understand what he's saying. Done something similar in other cars that are MT... hello bruised knee lol

Old 06-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Use your left leg to press on the dead pedal, pushing you straight back into the seat, and your pelvis into the seat back. It prevents you from sliding left and right. Your seat will have to be properly adjusted; upright and close enough to be able to push the clutch to the floor.

I made a mental effort to do this the other night... like really press down and steady myself... and it helped a lot. I was using it, but not really USING it before. There were only a few places I couldn't but it helped a lot for really tight 2nd gear.

I just need to add it to muscle memory now, so simple but nobody had ever mentioned it to me, I just made due. Thanks De36 'preciate it.

Quick Reply: Who went the Bucket seat harness route?