2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped a hex bolt into the fuel tank. Do I need to remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Dropped a hex bolt into the fuel tank. Do I need to remove it?

Honda 2010 MT

So I'm an idiot and dropped a hex bolt (10mm head x 15mm length) into the fuel tank. I was adding the left over fuel from the snow blower to the fit since it's finally warm, then plunk it goes.

I have a flexible camera scope thing and the nut is sitting just past a flange. I'll take a photo sometimes.

I looked at the possibility of disassembly for the fuel tank diagram and retrieving the nut. I'll probably pay to have it done since I dont have the ramps or patience. Everywhere I look for google, the consensus is that something that large shouldn't be an issue per se.

What is the consensus here?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Tape a magnet to your scope and retrieve it?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Are you 100% sure bolt feel into the Fit's filler neck? I thought all modern filler necks had a metal flap to help prevent ingress of foreign objects and to control escape of some gas fumes. Would bolt even Fit lol?

Could bolt be stuck in filler neck? That could cause fueling problems, limit rate of flow into tank, dangerous splashback, etc.

If the bolt corrodes inside the fuel tank I suppose rust has the potential of eventually clogging the delicate fuel injectors. Not sure if there could be other chemical reactions from bolt's coatings. So I would remove it if possible.

The fuel pump is accessed from interior center panel. Not sure if that would give you access to the bolt.

The fuel vapors are explosive so you need to use extreme caution. No electronics, no cell phone, disconnect battery, no sparks from metal tools. I am paranoid about health & safety but indeed this is dangerous.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe something like this telescoping magnetic pickup tool or something similar, will help:
Lisle 66580 Flexible Magnetic Pick-Up Tool
or
Pick-up Tool Set - includes Flexible Claw Grabber Tool and Telescoping Magnet Pick-up Tool
Since you have a camera, it makes the job a lot easier if you can get to it with the telescoping magnet.