2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My 2010 Daily driver fun car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM
My 2010 Daily driver fun car

Ive owned many cars and had always been eyeing a fit but never pulled the trigger till recently. I changed jobs last year and wanted to have something that would do better on gas milage than my current daily, a 1992 Galant VR4 that got an amazing 16 mpgs on the highway on E85. My Ram does better than that.... Anyway I sold the galant and a fit was first on my list. I looked at a few locally but couldn't find anything worth the asking prices, so it was off to craigslist to find one elsewhere. So here it is my 2010 fit sport. I first had to convince the original owners over the phone that being 9 hours away, and interested in their car, I wasn't a scammer. After that I had sent a deposit and booked a rental car from Omaha, NE to Green Bay, WI. My wife and I took the journey, drove past miles of nothing, cows, and cheese and eventually ended up in packerland. Fortunately enough the car was exactly as described and in excellent condition for its age and mileage. On to pictures!

In green bay

green bay 2.0

finally back home

Ram and Icee for scale

decided to remove the side moldings

did a small bit of paint correction- before

After

Before

After

New Hybrid-Racing knob

All for now. Its been such a fun car already. I honestly think the hardest part will be not going crazy modding it.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
They are fun. VTEC + that sweet MT gearbox = fun. Enjoy.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Cool story and congrats on the new ride.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Nice find, congrats!

Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Diggin the enthusiasm! Hell of a trip to make, but the GE is a fun little number when shes got good shoes.
We've got some clever, cheap-ish little mods on here for creature comfort and driveability, but it sounds like you'd know most of it.

Lookin forward to hearing what you've got to say in the future.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys, Trip wasn't half as long as when I bought an Evo X in El Paso TX. Im a firm believer in traveling to get what you want though, no use in spending money on something you arent going to love it. (my truck also came from out of state lol)
Anyway. Look forward to posting some semi-regular updates and maybe even some how-to walkthrough stuff, as I go along the way.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome and great find!!

I always have to travel out of state also to get the car I want. Mostly because MT cars are harder to find. My GTI was actually in state which is very rare.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
I sold an e36 m3 to get into my 2010 mt sport. I’ve put over 150k miles on it personally and I still love it. My commute now is 30 minutes of twisty hilly back roads and I hardly ever go over 3rd gear. It’s great. The only reason I’m even considering selling is because I want to get a truck and a bike 😎

Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 PM
My vinyl came in today! Started by just doing the radio and glove box, but may end up doing a bit more. What do you think?

Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by punx45
I sold an e36 m3 to get into my 2010 mt sport. I’ve put over 150k miles on it personally and I still love it. My commute now is 30 minutes of twisty hilly back roads and I hardly ever go over 3rd gear. It’s great. The only reason I’m even considering selling is because I want to get a truck and a bike 😎
funny you say this, as I’ve had evos, stis, turbo miata, etc.... and people wonder why I bought the fit. It’s quite a bit of fun to drive. Some of my car friends understand it. I am fortunate enough through, that I have my turbo mr2 still for when I need some more speed.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Great story!
I also had to drive 5 hrs away to find a 2010 Fit sport manual that had the right combination of mileage, condition and price.
I sent a deposit to secure the deal so that they didn't sell the car on be before I arrived.

I got a great deal on the car paying only C$2800 or USD$2100.
It had 180,000kms or 110,000miles and original paint, no accidents.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
I currently own a 2016.
Before that I owned a 2010 Sport.

Not only do you now have a Fit, but IMO a great incarnation of the Fit.
I like the 2016, there are improvements in refinement and infotainment options, but there are a lot of things about the 2010 I miss. I thought it was a great vehicle.
It really was fun to drive.
I think you made a great choice. Enjoy.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys. I bought this from the original owner and unlike many of my other cars, I plan on keeping this one a while. Here is another picture of my dash wrap in progress.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
The 3rd Gen Fit has a more "refined" IMO generic dash. It's nice, but I liked the almost whimsical nature of the Gen 2 Dash.
Miss the passenger side cup holder, and the dual glove compartments.

There was just a LOT Honda got right about the Gen 2, in my opinion.
The evolution to Gen 3, was probably necessary, just in terms of technology and infotainment expectations. But for flat out fun? I liked the Gen 2.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Found a friend today at work

Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Big update. The stock seats are garbage. We all know it. Decided to upgrade to a set of Si civic seats. These should have come in the car from the factory!!!!

Old 06-11-2019, 04:32 PM
How was the install? Is it a direct bolt on?

Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Are those direct bolt-ins? No nonsense with SRS lights or anything?

EDIT: heh, slow on the draw.

Last edited by Red 05; 06-11-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM
To answer fitment questions, first off I should state that I have no idea what year these seats came out of. I know they are out of an 8th gen Civic Si but no idea beyond that.

As far as fitment, its fairly straight forward. the seat rails of the factory seats as well as the new ones are near identical, however the "feet" that are on the ends that bolt into the car are different on them. Passenger seat is slightly easier as the feet bolt onto the fit seat and can just be removed. Drivers side is a bit more tricky since they are riveted to the seat rails. In any case, I simply removed the feet of the fit seats either by drilling out the rivets or unbolting them, then measuring to be sure they fit in the same exact place on the civic rails and using heavy duty hardware to bolt them back on. If i remember correctly the holes should match up perfectly for the rear feet on both rails. The front feet you will likely have to drill one hole per side as the forward most hold lines up but the second one does not.

Airbag plugs straight in, as well as seat belt sensor. you also do not need to swap seat belt buckles as the civic ones work just fine. what does not work is the occupancy sensor for the passenger airbag. The harnesses are different and I have not dug into this further to explore the entire fix. Long story short, yes I have an airbag light on at the moment, but will update when I find the fix.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ILikePizzaAndCars
To answer fitment questions, first off I should state that I have no idea what year these seats came out of. I know they are out of an 8th gen Civic Si but no idea beyond that.

As far as fitment, its fairly straight forward. the seat rails of the factory seats as well as the new ones are near identical, however the "feet" that are on the ends that bolt into the car are different on them. Passenger seat is slightly easier as the feet bolt onto the fit seat and can just be removed. Drivers side is a bit more tricky since they are riveted to the seat rails. In any case, I simply removed the feet of the fit seats either by drilling out the rivets or unbolting them, then measuring to be sure they fit in the same exact place on the civic rails and using heavy duty hardware to bolt them back on. If i remember correctly the holes should match up perfectly for the rear feet on both rails. The front feet you will likely have to drill one hole per side as the forward most hold lines up but the second one does not.

Airbag plugs straight in, as well as seat belt sensor. you also do not need to swap seat belt buckles as the civic ones work just fine. what does not work is the occupancy sensor for the passenger airbag. The harnesses are different and I have not dug into this further to explore the entire fix. Long story short, yes I have an airbag light on at the moment, but will update when I find the fix.
Terrific! I'll delve into the shop manual and see what it says about the seat wiring harness.

Quick Reply: My 2010 Daily driver fun car