2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Jazz GE Gli (1.3L) - coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 AM
2010 Jazz GE Gli (1.3L) - coolant flush

Hi all!

I'm in Tasmania, Australia. My 2010 Honda Jazz is almost 10 years old, and i had decided to flush the coolant and replace with fresh coolant. I understand that the Honda Jazz (GE) has a coolant capacity of 3.6 litres.

Each drain / fill cycle:
- drain the old coolant via the coolant drain plug (behind the left fog light), each drain yields about 2 litres of coolant.
- pour in fresh distilled water via the radiator cap, each fill is about 2 litres too.
- start the engine and drive around the neighbourhood for 5 minutes with the thermostat on full heat + maximum fan speed

i didn't want to muack around with the drain bolt on the engine block. Not a risk taker here.

I repeated this 9 times, and my drained coolant after the 9th time is still light blue. refer to the photo for more details. ignore the bottle with engine oil in it.

Magic questions:
a) how much coolant remains in the car?
b) i'm the third owner of this car. Judging from the intensity of the colour of the coolant, were the previous 2 owners running on 100% concentrate??

Sequence of water flushes: fluids from the first drain on the leftmost bottle, the 9th flush is in the right most bottle (with engine oil in the bottle)

Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Little concerned about the oily bottle but I'll assume its just somethin you chose to mix.
I cant speak to how much coolant could be left in your vehicle, only pose the question: is it a bad thing?
Provided your vehicle is cooling efficiently, providing hot air via heater core, and you arent hearing a whine from the waterpump you should be a happy camper.

I'd hate to see one of those drains come out clear, you'd be rusting up your system and taking lubrication away from the water pump.

As to whether or not they ran straight propolyne glycol, you could check around the engine for leaks/failed gaskets that could be the result of overheating. If shes not dripping oil from the valve, timing cover, no coolant near the head, no droplets where the oil pan meets the block be sure to get anti-freeze back in there ASAP!
For the future, i've heard of folks hooking up a garden hose to the line running from the heater core and disconnecting the line running *to* the heater core, or something like that. Wherever you can find a fitting for run 'er with the hose on.

Personally i'm not keen on that idea because the water in my area is FULL of calcium. Food for thought!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AirbusA389
b) i'm the third owner of this car. Judging from the intensity of the colour of the coolant, were the previous 2 owners running on 100% concentrate??
My manual recommends 1st coolant replacement after 10 years; it's possible the previous owners didn't replace it.
And you should never use 100% concentrate.