2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealership or individual mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Dealership or individual mechanic

Hey guys,

this site helped me pull the trigger on a 2013 Sport 6 speed.

85k miles. Manual transmission.

I’m looking to get the spark plugs changed and serpentine belt changed. My question is this - do y’all take it to a dealership? Or do you take it to trusted mechanics? That use non OEM parts?

i have always owned Jeeps, so this is a new and exciting change. Hoping to stay OUT of the shop.

thanks guys!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
If you know a mechanic you trust, take it there. There is no reason they can't use OEM parts for most things if you want them to; they will just have to order them just like you would as an individual, wait to get them, and then they'll cost a bit more. I don't really know much about serpentine belts, but I'd go OEM as they are cheap and a pain to get replaced. Same with plugs, although saying that I've just ordered non-OEM plugs in the hopes of unlocking a few HP.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Shes beautiful.

A lot of us do our own wrenchin', trading time and skin for money and absolution. Where you stand on who does your services is entirely a personal thing. Those cautious types who can afford it use the dealer and OEM parts. That assures that the rubber, sensors, suspension.. everything going into the car will keep it feeling like the day it did when you bought it.

The more thrifty folks with less concern for maintaining OEM quality components would use a privately owned shop and save quite a bit over the dealer. There is a degree of uncertainty as to whether the new components being used will produce the same exact ride quality the car originally possessed, hence aftermarket parts being referred to as "OEM Equivalent".

Those baggy-eyed, dirty, prematurely graying/already gray types are throwing in oem parts (with the occasional high-end aftermarket non-electronic component) themselves.

From what I've seen here, folks are either using the dealer of doing stuff themselves, seldom see mention of personal mechanics.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
We are not millionaires so do most of the work DIY. If you have a trustworthy independent guy that is significantly cheaper than the dealer, that is a good option. You can save a lot of money DIYing the easier stuff.

If the car's serpentine belt has not been changed, the spark plugs have not been changed (or checked for looseness), and the valves have not been adjusted, I would get all three done soon. Do them at the same time and save some cash.

If you like DIY work, there are plenty of recent threads here to help you out. All three of those items are a bit painful but DIY will cost you under $100 (for Honda OEM parts, tools, and clips you will break).

For many parts you really need to go OEM, particularly electronic sensors.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
For certain things, like valve adjustment, I feel more comfortable paying a Honda tech to do the work. If you are comfortable with that sort of thing, go for it! This is pretty much it for major service for this car, the spark plugs, valve adjustment and drive belt.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
There are plentiful independent shops that specialize in Honda/Acura around here. I do my own work, but would trust the one with the best word-of-mouth reputation If I wanted to let someone else do it. I dont trust the commission compensated "lane lizards" at the stealership. Too many unnecessary things were "recommended" when the Takata inflator recall was done.

For certain things, I have found OEM parts to be best, such as brake pads and wiper blades. I also got an OEM replacement TPMS sensor. Common parts like filters, battery and serpentine belt, quality aftermarket is fine.