2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear interior panel rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Rear interior panel rattle

Hey guys. I had installed a Yonaka cat-back exhaust system (love it to death but actually a little quiet for my taste) and the panel just below the year window surrounding the hatch lever is rattling like crazy. It only happens around 1600-2000 rpm but when it does it rattles extremely annoyingly. I had pieces of towel shoved in between the window and the panel and that eliminated all of the rattle. However I just got my windows tinted and so I can’t just shove something down in between like I could with bare glass. I fear ripping or damaging my brand new tint. My solution now is to buy some soft weather stripping and put it in between the glass and the panel. Sound like a good idea? Or will this rip the tint as well? I can’t not do something about this as it’s driving me insane

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
We're talking about the rear hatch right? That's an incredibly easy panel to remove. Grab by the grab handle and give it a really good sharp pull, pops right off.

Most guys running fancier stereos already take this off and leave it off because it rattles like a son of a bitch.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
We're talking about the rear hatch right? That's an incredibly easy panel to remove. Grab by the grab handle and give it a really good sharp pull, pops right off.

Most guys running fancier stereos already take this off and leave it off because it rattles like a son of a bitch.

Sorry just for clarification, the hatch grab handle is what I’ve circled in red correct? And you just start there and give it a good yank all around? I’ve also highlighted where I’ve found 99% of the rattle to be coming from.

Thanks for the response

Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
As a disclaimer, I did read your posts thoroughly.

Does the hatch itself have any freeplay when you push/pull on it while closed?

If not, I would suggest that someone has removed the panel before and damaged a clip or two.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Connor MacInnis
Sorry just for clarification, the hatch grab handle is what I’ve circled in red correct? And you just start there and give it a good yank all around? I’ve also highlighted where I’ve found 99% of the rattle to be coming from.

Thanks for the response

That's it. I've had my hatch off a dozen or so times, it's still holding well so far. Matter of fact I had the unlock mechanism off for cleaning few weeks back.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
After putting on a Tanabe cat back the internal rear hatch cover buzzed, etc. I took it off and never put it back on (5 yrs ago).

The thing you could do is add a layer of tape on the contact points around the edge of the cover. That will make it thicker and put more pressure on it so it doesn't buzz.

I might put mine back on someday.