2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear interior panel rattle

Old 05-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Rear interior panel rattle

Hey guys. I had installed a Yonaka cat-back exhaust system (love it to death but actually a little quiet for my taste) and the panel just below the year window surrounding the hatch lever is rattling like crazy. It only happens around 1600-2000 rpm but when it does it rattles extremely annoyingly. I had pieces of towel shoved in between the window and the panel and that eliminated all of the rattle. However I just got my windows tinted and so I canít just shove something down in between like I could with bare glass. I fear ripping or damaging my brand new tint. My solution now is to buy some soft weather stripping and put it in between the glass and the panel. Sound like a good idea? Or will this rip the tint as well? I canít not do something about this as itís driving me insane

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
We're talking about the rear hatch right? That's an incredibly easy panel to remove. Grab by the grab handle and give it a really good sharp pull, pops right off.

Most guys running fancier stereos already take this off and leave it off because it rattles like a son of a bitch.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05 View Post
We're talking about the rear hatch right? That's an incredibly easy panel to remove. Grab by the grab handle and give it a really good sharp pull, pops right off.

Most guys running fancier stereos already take this off and leave it off because it rattles like a son of a bitch.

Sorry just for clarification, the hatch grab handle is what Iíve circled in red correct? And you just start there and give it a good yank all around? Iíve also highlighted where Iíve found 99% of the rattle to be coming from.

Thanks for the response

Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM
As a disclaimer, I did read your posts thoroughly.

Does the hatch itself have any freeplay when you push/pull on it while closed?

If not, I would suggest that someone has removed the panel before and damaged a clip or two.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Connor MacInnis View Post
Sorry just for clarification, the hatch grab handle is what Iíve circled in red correct? And you just start there and give it a good yank all around? Iíve also highlighted where Iíve found 99% of the rattle to be coming from.

Thanks for the response

That's it. I've had my hatch off a dozen or so times, it's still holding well so far. Matter of fact I had the unlock mechanism off for cleaning few weeks back.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
After putting on a Tanabe cat back the internal rear hatch cover buzzed, etc. I took it off and never put it back on (5 yrs ago).

The thing you could do is add a layer of tape on the contact points around the edge of the cover. That will make it thicker and put more pressure on it so it doesn't buzz.

I might put mine back on someday.