2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Squeaks and whistles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Question Squeaks and whistles.

Hey guys.

I have a 2010 Fit with the 5-sp MT. I'm around 140,000 miles. Car runs great and looks.... well.... ok.

Two issues:
1) Only when the car is running, when I lift off of the brakes, I get a squeak. I initially thought that it was in the foot well but when I got myself in that area, I couldn't find where it might be from. I was ready to lube linkages but found no need for it. Since I can only reproduce this issue while the engine is running, I had thought that it was a vacuum leak but that too seems to not pan out for me. At least I don't think so. Right now, I'm thinking that the rear shoes are rubbing within the drum? With the engine running, the brake boost allows for greater travel within the drums thus allowing the squeak? If that is the correct assumption, would the fix be some copper grease on any potential metal on metal connections? Note that I just changed the shoes at 120k so they have about 20k on them. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong?

2) On occasion. When I turn the key off, I get a loud and rather long squeak/whistle coming from the passenger side. I can't make it happen on demand but it does happen fairly often. I'm trying to isolate it to conditions that cause this. Like did I have the AC running when I shut down or... I don't know. It is fairly loud and I think it's in the dash. If so, this will not be something I look forward to fixing. Any ideas when it might be?

Old 09-26-2022, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
No replies but an answer in case anyone googles and ends up here.
The squeak. Turns out it was the rear drum brakes. When I let off of the pedal, the shoe would rub against the piston. I put a very small dab of high temp grease and the problem went away.

I haven't located the cause of the whistle especially since I can't reproduce it enough on on demand. It still happens and sounds like it is from behind my glove box.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
I may have the same exact two noises I just havent gotten to deal with them. Assumed break pedal linkage needs lube, but I'll check the drum brakes if not!
#2 I may be mistaken on as there's a lot of ways to describe a sound without having a communal vocabulary.
I've been juggling making a noise descriptor thread since I just found a pretty thorough and hilarious collection of car noise faults in the service manual for a car I'm working on..

Anyways, my sound from the front passenger side occurs when the doors unlock, as I set all doors to unlock when the key is removed. I'd describe it as an electronic squeal.
I figure it's the lock actuator. Sound plausible for your situation?

Oh and I'm getting that horrid metallic flutter/flapping sound at cold start! Found I can mitigate if not prevent it by letting the fuel system pressurize before starting (waiting for that woosh to end after setting the key to on II)

Old 09-27-2022, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. When I looked at lubing the pedal, I found that it was clean and the condition was such that I decided against lubing it. I'm happy for that decision.

The whistle does happen when I shut the car off. Not every time. Maybe once every 10 times. Maybe less often. It's enough to piss me off but not enough to locate. I'll think about the door locks since you mentioned it. That could prove helpful. Thank you.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
For whatever it's worth, my fault is also intermittent. I haven't kept track of frequency, but it's infrequent enough for me to consistently forget about fixing it when I have the time to do so. I'm certain it's when the doors unlock, and that it's front pass. Despite that, I've never noticed an issue with function of that or any other lock.

I know I often have an impatient front passenger that tries to open the door at times when it's unlocking, or unlocks their door manually before I get the chance. Figured that would screw something up eventually. Good luck and thank you!