2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit Fuel Efficiency: MT vs AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
MA Fits Unite!

Originally Posted by larkspur
Ok, took me a while to get around to it, but here are a few more pics of my car in better lighting, as promised. I took her to Cape Cod this weekend; we acquired a lot of sand inside.
Dude, I got the same color fit and sport. I'm from MA too. Only diff is I got a MT.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
looking at the EPA estimates, i see the sport AT gets the same as the sport and non sport MT. i wonder if the sport AT has a lower final drive or something.

regardless, i ordered a manual $1000 will buy me about 285 gallons of gasoline, not to mention i think that MTs are more reliable and cheaper to repair IMO.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, took me a while to get around to it, but here are a few more pics of my car in better lighting, as promised. I took her to Cape Cod this weekend; we acquired a lot of sand inside.

The doggies standing guard

Just got my all season mats today, the installation wasn't too much trouble and they look great. Now sand will sit on the mats instead of being ground into the carpet.

With about 800 miles on the trip meter, I'm averaging around 44-45 mpg. I couldn't be more pleased with this car.
I have a black '09 Sport MT on order. But after seeing these pics in this light I've just called the dealer back to change my order to Blue Sensation. I'll have to wait another month or so for delivery, but I don't mind.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by freshforce
Dude, I got the same color fit and sport. I'm from MA too. Only diff is I got a MT.
That's Ms. Dude to you. I haven't seen a single other '09 Fit in Massachusetts yet! I drive up and down 495 everyday...nothing. Good to know there's at least one other out there. Where did you get yours?

Originally Posted by Aviator902S
I have a black '09 Sport MT on order. But after seeing these pics in this light I've just called the dealer back to change my order to Blue Sensation. I'll have to wait another month or so for delivery, but I don't mind.
Glad I could be of help! The blue sensation is definitely a chameleon...sometimes it's quite dark, and in some light the color really jumps out. I changed my mind to blue sensation from blackberry pearl at the last minute and have never looked back, I'm so happy with the blue!

Last edited by larkspur; 09-20-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Well there must be something wrong with my Sport AT - I just got back from a nice 150 mile drive, filled up in Prescott AZ, reset the trip odometer.

Drove through the mountains to Sedona, then took the superslab back to Phoenix. It's mostly downhill so that helps, I know. But still, I wasn't babying it, going 55-60 on the steep uphills and 65-70 on the flat.

Average MPG (according to the computer) is 44.9 MPG. Trip computer says 120 and total mileage to date is 415.

I thought I was supposed to get 33 or less. Should I take it in? ;-)

I'm amazed, I tell you. Simply amazed.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm amazed with the mileage, just like everyone else. My Sport AT gets on average 45-48 mpg and going up since I got it, it's insane how awesome this car is.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
That's Ms. Dude to you. I haven't seen a single other '09 Fit in Massachusetts yet! I drive up and down 495 everyday...nothing. Good to know there's at least one other out there. Where did you get yours?
Ms. Dude eh? haha, I got mine at Boch Honda. Was going to get it at Herb Chambers but they were gonna take too long. I've seen plenty of 08s but no 09s as of yet. I drive around the Cambridge/Watertown area and now will be taking it to work in Boston. Back on topic ... MT FTW!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Stick Vs Auto

Hi Lark,

If you drive a lot of hiway miles, go with the auto, just cuz it gets better MPG on the hiway. Also, it's not turning the higher RPM that it would with a stick. I think the higher RPM could shorten engine life a bit. You do get used to driving an auto trans. I had stick shift cars all my life until we bought the current ride, which has an auto tranny. It drove me nuts at first cuz I kept reaching for the shift lever and I had to get used to an auto trans. But now I'm so used to it and the advantages an auto offers, that I'd have a hard time going back to a stick. Plus, I live in Phoenix, Hotzona and drive on the freeway a lot. In that type of traffic (stop & go), a stick is misery. So, I stay with the auto tranny, even tho it's isn't as much fun to drive, and acceleration "ain't that great". By the way, you ever try eating a burger and shifting at the same time?