2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with the NAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Issues with the NAV

I was debating whether or not to go for the VSA/NAV option on the 2009 Fit Sport. The merit of the VSA speaks for itself, but I was unsure about how great the NAV is. I know there are concerns already about how washed-out the screen is in direct sunlight, but that's true of most any such system. I already have a portable Garmin NAV unit, but could resell it if the Fit's system is demonstrably better.

Going through the NAV user's manual online, I see a couple of problems with the Honda unit. First, there is no option to subscribe for real-time info (traffic, construction, weather, etc.). To be honest, that's not a huge issue to me, as the "real-time" info that is provided to my Garmin is, at best, untimely (or at worst, just plain wrong). (I live in the Boston area, BTW).

But the real killer to me for the Fit's NAV is that the map database is installed via DVD, and there is no program or subscription service for updates. A new DVD is issued annually (usually around the fall) and it costs almost $200! Sure, you can keep using the existing data but eventually that can be a pain as more and more changes happen. Garmin provides free map updates via the Internet that come out frequently.

So, even though it would be nice to have a NAV system integrated with the rest of the car's audio (and I'd love to have the audio controls on the steering wheel, which the plain Sport does not offer), I think I'll pass on the VSA/NAV option and "settle" for a terrific Sport AT. I just wish the panel of the non-NAV audio system didn't look like a child's Speak 'N' Spell toy.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dashford
I was debating whether or not to go for the VSA/NAV option on the 2009 Fit Sport. The merit of the VSA speaks for itself, but I was unsure about how great the NAV is. I know there are concerns already about how washed-out the screen is in direct sunlight, but that's true of most any such system. I already have a portable Garmin NAV unit, but could resell it if the Fit's system is demonstrably better.

Going through the NAV user's manual online, I see a couple of problems with the Honda unit. First, there is no option to subscribe for real-time info (traffic, construction, weather, etc.). To be honest, that's not a huge issue to me, as the "real-time" info that is provided to my Garmin is, at best, untimely (or at worst, just plain wrong). (I live in the Boston area, BTW).

But the real killer to me for the Fit's NAV is that the map database is installed via DVD, and there is no program or subscription service for updates. A new DVD is issued annually (usually around the fall) and it costs almost $200! Sure, you can keep using the existing data but eventually that can be a pain as more and more changes happen. Garmin provides free map updates via the Internet that come out frequently.

So, even though it would be nice to have a NAV system integrated with the rest of the car's audio (and I'd love to have the audio controls on the steering wheel, which the plain Sport does not offer), I think I'll pass on the VSA/NAV option and "settle" for a terrific Sport AT. I just wish the panel of the non-NAV audio system didn't look like a child's Speak 'N' Spell toy.
Garmin Map Updates aren't free, only for the first year or so, then it's $100.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
You'd get so many more features from an aftermarket unit, thats the way I would go. And maybe its just me, but I never got the appeal of steering wheel controls, I mean the radio is right there next to you, seems kinda pointless. Same goes for a remote that comes with most aftermarket units.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
I've been using Honda's NAV in my 2006 Civic for a couple of years now, and it's very similar to the one that is in the 2009 Fit. Besides the obvious fact that the screen is much bigger than most aftermarket units, I really like how the system can use the motion of the car to tell where you are moving. I'm not sure if that is available in any aftermarket units.

Some times, it is difficult to get a GPS signal lock. When you first turn on a GPS, it takes a bit of time to lock. If you're in a city with tall buildings, under dense tree cover, in a tunnel, under a bridge or overpass, etc., You may lose your GPS signal. With the built-in NAV from Honda, you won't even notice, because it keeps track of your position based on the motion of the car (definitely uses data from the wheels- maybe a gyroscope or two is involved also?). Thus, you never have one of those frustrating moments when you need to know which way to turn, but you just lost your GPS signal.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have been using the Pioneer Avic Systems since Day 1 (I am using a avic-z3 now) and never have any problem where I lost GPS signal.

I am sure all GPS can somehow track your car location based on the motion of your car. The GPS I own usualy comes with a Processor that detects direction, traveling speed, and incline as well, but then I am not sure about portable systems.

I will agree with Rod2Rice, I prefer aftermarket systems more than stock systems because aftermarket Navi(s) provide so much more than just navigation (eg watching DVD on the go?)

I would love to have audio controls on mysteering wheel, but then again, you are in a fit, where the deck is just half an arm's length from you =\

Save the money, wait for the aftermarket console...its worthwhile

Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
So you cant get the wheel controls with the regular fit? They only come with the Navigation options?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mmaxwell
So you cant get the wheel controls with the regular fit? They only come with the Navigation options?
Yes, VSA and navigation are only bundled together.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Correct. It's not mentioned in Honda's specs, but it's what we're seeing in all the photos of non-navi Fit Sports. You do have the cruise control buttons on the right.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree with all the pictures. But I hope they might include the radio wheel controls as a build in option.
What do you think? The civic has this ability.
Just hoping b/c I want all I can get for my dollar without jumping to the nav unit.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
I agree with all the pictures. But I hope they might include the radio wheel controls as a build in option.
What do you think? The civic has this ability.
Just hoping b/c I want all I can get for my dollar without jumping to the nav unit.
Actually, I should have said that the owner's manual makes it clear that the radio wheel controls are only on the navi Sports. And we know that the Fit doesn't "do" a la carte options.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
not only do aftermarket navis offer more features, but you can buy a steering wheel interface to make the steering wheel controls work... assuming that the regular stock radio comes with steering wheel radio controls.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Is there a link to download the owner's manual?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a link to download the owner's manual?
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Look for owners manual on left.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhrivnak
I've been using Honda's NAV in my 2006 Civic for a couple of years now, and it's very similar to the one that is in the 2009 Fit. Besides the obvious fact that the screen is much bigger than most aftermarket units, I really like how the system can use the motion of the car to tell where you are moving. I'm not sure if that is available in any aftermarket units.

Some times, it is difficult to get a GPS signal lock. When you first turn on a GPS, it takes a bit of time to lock. If you're in a city with tall buildings, under dense tree cover, in a tunnel, under a bridge or overpass, etc., You may lose your GPS signal. With the built-in NAV from Honda, you won't even notice, because it keeps track of your position based on the motion of the car (definitely uses data from the wheels- maybe a gyroscope or two is involved also?). Thus, you never have one of those frustrating moments when you need to know which way to turn, but you just lost your GPS signal.

You are correct!
OEM units as well as aftermarket "head units" tap into the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire which gives them accurate distance vehicle is traveling, so even if GPS signal is obstructed (tunnel, tall buildings,...) they can keep exact location. They also use built-in electronic compass to account for a general change of direction.
I have portable nav and I love it for it's portability and features, but nothing beats OEM or aftermarket head units for accuracy.
All navs take time to acquire initial signal upon restart. Portable units benefit from restart at the same location where they were shut down since they start with a last location for search.
Honda nav is especially worthed, IMO, because it features speech recognition commands.

Ivan

Old 08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ummm, are there Navi out that that dont support Speech Command? I thought thats standard , just like Text-to-Speech?

Here's just my opinion. Since the Factory Navi is also the deck for CD/MP3?Radio etc.... well, then for those who NEVER have a bigger than 5" screen navi can go for it - The factory Navi DOES look nice. However, those who are familiar with aftermarket Navi Units (Single or Double Din) - I would strongly suggestto stick with it. Chances are you cannot make the factory Navi system to support Video on the go.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I too am in the market for a Fit and have not decided on plain sport or one w/ Nav. I may get the Nav mainly because of VSA. I love my Garmin for its 3-D map (I have trouble reading 2-D map), text-to-speech (pronounces street names) and bluetooth features.

My question is: assuming money is not an issue, is it possible to get a Fit w/ Nav but later replace it w/ either an aftermarket Kenwood or another stock Honda unit that includes bluetooth (say the one that's used in 09 Civic)?

Also, Garmin's new Nuvi 880 has a great speech recognition capabilities. Will this function be used in any future Kenwood units?

Another question: are built-in GPS system like the Fit w/ Nav easy to steal? Currently I use a portable Garmin and never leave it in the car. Still my car (a Camry) gets broken in every year when I drive to NY to visit my mom! They didnt' steal any built-in stuff like radio but clearly searched all storage areas. I figure that it's better to have just broken window than both a broken window and a stolen built-in navi unit.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dashford
Going through the NAV user's manual online, I see a couple of problems with the Honda unit.
Can you post a link to this manual?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
Can you post a link to this manual?
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...0/ANV39085.pdf

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Thanks! That was fast.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I read from somewhere that Honda Navi do not have text-to-speech (pronouncing street names). Anyone used it can confirm that?

Quick Reply: Issues with the NAV