2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Heading to dealer on Wed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Need help! Heading to dealer on Wed!

I've been waiting for the '09 Fit. Dealer called me today to say they got in a SSM sport AT, which is what I've been looking for. I'll be trading in my '05 SE CRV. I've know the Fit MSRP (17,580) and I've got the KBB trade-in value for my CRV. So I know what ballpark I want to be in. Any other advice/tips? - I hate dealing with car dealers !

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
First, don't even talk about trade-in, even if you want to go that route. Negotiate and settle on the price of the new Fit first (price, not the payments) and once that is settled you can bring up the trade-in. But I would recommend selling your CR-V yourself. You'll get a much better price, and it shouldn't be too hard to sell given the mileage it gets compared to larger SUVs whose owners are looking to downsize.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Listen to cruzitude, as it's sound advice!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I just think that selling on my own is going to be too much of a headache. I know what my car is worth and I know what the Fit should sell for (I won't pay over MSRP). I don't need a new car so if I think they are screwing me then I'll walk out. I should expect at least "good condition" KBB trade-in value for my CRV, right?
Any other negotiating tips? Thanks.

Last edited by michael49; 09-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
tips

Always ask them to throw in things like: carpets, window tint, free oil changes, etc... One time this dealer gave my mom a case of soda and a free tank of gas. I know selling the CR-V yourself is a pain, but dealerships do rob you of what kelly blue-book actually estimates your vehicle at. I was robbed when I traded in my Civic, but I was moving and didn't have time to sell it myself.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Thumbs up Sell it yourself!

Originally Posted by michael49
I just think that selling on my own is going to be too much of a headache. I know what my car is worth and I know what the Fit should sell for (I won't pay over MSRP). I don't need a new car so if I think they are screwing me then I'll walk out. I should expect at least "good condition" KBB trade-in value for my CRV, right?
I thought that too when I was buying my Fit. I was in a comfortable position financially, so I made my Fit purchase a totally separate transaction. I bought the Fit first and wrote the dealer a check.

I was going to put my old car (2001 Nissan Altima) in the Auto-Trader. My neighbor (who has flipped a few cars) told me just to have it detailed and put a "For Sale" on it a park it somewhere. I felt very doubtful about it, but did what he said, but I parked it down at the corner supermarket with a sign on it. Within the first week, 3 people called and wanted to test drive it. The first person put a deposit on it, but it fell through after a couple of days. The second person wanted a smaller car. The third wanted it and made arrangements to do the transaction at their Credit Union. We met at their Credit Union where they finalized a used car loan. The loan person recorded the odometer reading, I signed over the title and they gave me a cashier's check. It was all very quick and straightforward.

If you don't own the title, it can be more complicated but not impossible. I got way more money for my used car, and the buyer got the car for less than would have from a dealer. We just cut out the middle-man.

It was a win-win!

That was my first time, but from now on that is the only way I will upgrade cars.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, as the dealer will most likely come in under KBB "good" condition, it's just the nature of the game.
You may have a more favorable outcome by getting a Carmax appraisal the day before you visit your Fit dealer. Carmax often does better than most other dealers, however, you'll then pay taxes on the full value of your Fit.

At minimum, the Carmax appraisal may be ammunition to use in your bottom-line negotiations for the Fit. Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 AM
sell to a friend or famoly member.

If you find out the dealer is offering you a price under or even at wholesale don't sell it to them. Anyone able to buy a vehicle for wholesale is getting a real bargain and you are in the position to give them that bargain. Why give the dealer such a deal. Just remember to add the tax difference because you will pay tax on the amount you pay and with a trade you pay less tax.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I've been waiting for the '09 Fit. Dealer called me today to say they got in a SSM sport AT, which is what I've been looking for. I'll be trading in my '05 SE CRV. I've know the Fit MSRP (17,580) and I've got the KBB trade-in value for my CRV. So I know what ballpark I want to be in. Any other advice/tips? - I hate dealing with car dealers !

First, don't worry about trying to appear you're buying the FIT with no trade-in. It may work if someone else drops you off but if you drive in a car the dealer automatically will approach the sale as though you were trading. The advantage is having a car he'd like to have in his used inventory. And I think the CRV is, unless he's already got some.

More than likely, although the 09's aren't flying off the lots as quickly as hoped, the dealer is going to charge MSRP plus fat fees for 'documentation' and of course the usual tax, tags, and license plate.
Did you accurately assess the TRADE-IN value of your CRV in kbb?
If you did, and compared that to the info in Autotrader retail sales prices to make sure the dealer can make $1500 on 'buying' your CRV (he'll spend up to $500 on advertising and reconditioning so his profit will really be about a thousand. thats fair, dealers don't run on air.) Be confident.
Be honest up front and present your offer based on your documented data and the sale is likely. If it isn't he's trying to increse his take as he was taught but stay firm and walk out if you must. No dealer worth his salt will turn down a reasonable sale if he thinks he's going to lose it.
Unfortunately, in your case, he knows youre salivating at the SSM Sport AT. You will have use full will power and loan pressures ('hey, look, its all my bank will allow is the loan based on this sale'). He'll counter with his loan agency can beat that mo payment even at his higher deal price. Watch out, sales people have been known to lie about that, knowing you won't find out til youre in the finance office.
Oh, then with this deal I can save on my monthly payment so what if you finance me on my deal? (he gets a few hundred more of 'profit"). Play the game. Hold firm. He will attack your CRV value but he better have good evidence.

See, you have every reason not to like dealing with car salesmen. Few are honest and especially knowledgeable. If you can sell your CRV you may not get any more than the dealer 'pays' you. The buyers out there now are bargain hunter ferocious, and you will lose the credit against the tax on the trade-in if thats what happens where you live. (say you sold it for $10k and tax is 4%, thats $400 more you have to pay for the Fit.)

good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 09-09-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Contact the dealership through the internet/email. My experience has been great. No haggling whatsoever - MSRP and only the options I asked for.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
First, don't worry about trying to appear you're buying the FIT with no trade-in. It may work if someone else drops you off but if you drive in a car the dealer automatically will approach the sale as though you were trading. The advantage is having a car he'd like to have in his used inventory. And I think the CRV is, unless he's already got some.

More than likely, although the 09's aren't flying off the lots as quickly as hoped, the dealer is going to charge MSRP plus fat fees for 'documentation' and of course the usual tax, tags, and license plate.
Did you accurately assess the TRADE-IN value of your CRV in kbb?
If you did, and compared that to the info in Autotrader retail sales prices to make sure the dealer can make $1500 on 'buying' your CRV (he'll spend up to $500 on advertising and reconditioning so his profit will really be about a thousand. thats fair, dealers don't run on air.) Be confident.
Be honest up front and present your offer based on your documented data and the sale is likely. If it isn't he's trying to increse his take as he was taught but stay firm and walk out if you must. No dealer worth his salt will turn down a reasonable sale if he thinks he's going to lose it.
Unfortunately, in your case, he knows youre salivating at the SSM Sport AT. You will have use full will power and loan pressures ('hey, look, its all my bank will allow is the loan based on this sale'). He'll counter with his loan agency can beat that mo payment even at his higher deal price. Watch out, sales people have been known to lie about that, knowing you won't find out til youre in the finance office.
Oh, then with this deal I can save on my monthly payment so what if you finance me on my deal? (he gets a few hundred more of 'profit"). Play the game. Hold firm. He will attack your CRV value but he better have good evidence.

See, you have every reason not to like dealing with car salesmen. Few are honest and especially knowledgeable. If you can sell your CRV you may not get any more than the dealer 'pays' you. The buyers out there now are bargain hunter ferocious, and you will lose the credit against the tax on the trade-in if thats what happens where you live. (say you sold it for $10k and tax is 4%, thats $400 more you have to pay for the Fit.)

good luck.
Sounds like very solid advice, thanks. If I don't get what I consider to be a reasonable deal, then I'll just walk out. After all, I don't need a new car.

Thanks.