2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sport model w/ low bumpers that scrape?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Sport model w/ low bumpers that scrape?

I have seen and test-drove one base model (the only model dealer has on the lot). That car has no trouble going over speed bumps. There's a very high speed bump near my house that often scraped my Camry in the past. I wonder if any of you who bought the 09 Sport model having any issues of scraping against the bumps or curb side? The Sport model is supposed to have lower skirts around the car than the base model. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
no you're right, the sport does have the lip kit which makes it lower, but when you go over the speedbump, try turning, so you go over it at an angle, it will help a lot

Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 PM
My wife scraped the front of my sport pulling out of a parking lot. I got out and looked underneath and saw that there is a rubber dam under the skirting - so that's what scraped and no harm done. But I agree, go over that stuff at an angle if possible!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ksmith0034
My wife scraped the front of my sport pulling out of a parking lot. I got out and looked underneath and saw that there is a rubber dam under the skirting - so that's what scraped and no harm done. But I agree, go over that stuff at an angle if possible!
Same here. I thought I bumped a parking block, and when I ran out and took a look underneath I saw a glossy rubber lip. Win-Win!! The rubber lip won't get scratched and it helps keep air from going underneath causing lift.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Salesman brought an '09 Sport to try our driveway; neighborhood has those continuous curbs. No problemo dragging in or out.
Moon

Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I have seen and test-drove one base model (the only model dealer has on the lot). That car has no trouble going over speed bumps. There's a very high speed bump near my house that often scraped my Camry in the past. I wonder if any of you who bought the 09 Sport model having any issues of scraping against the bumps or curb side? The Sport model is supposed to have lower skirts around the car than the base model. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks!
Another post on this page states that all 3 Canadian 09 Fit trims have a ground clearance of 150mm (5.9").

Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Yep, it's the rubber you hear scraping, not any of the painted body surfaces. As previously metioned, attacking inclines at an angle will help avoid most instances of scraping. If not, Honda offers a 3" lift kit as an add-on, but this is most beneficial if you're planning to go off road

Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
what is and how does a "lift kit" work? do i have to go to my dealer to add it or can i buy it and get a good mechanic to install it? sorry if i sound clueless, because I am.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't have an 09, but my 08 scrapes over pretty steep angles. I also had a camry before this the 97-2001 gen 4, which has traditionally been known for bottming out and scraping. So if that's the one you had, and you had it stock height, you could probably expect a tiny bit more ground clearance than the camry. But if you had a newer camry then you probably have nearly the same clearance level.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 AM
what is and how does a "lift kit" work? do i have to go to my dealer to add it or can i buy it and get a good mechanic to install it? sorry if i sound clueless, because I am.
It's not real... he's just being a silly monkey.

But have you guys heard of the Japanese market Toyota Urban Cruiser? It's basically just a Scion xD that's been lifted. Kinda cool, I think. The Fit probably wouldn't look as good.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
As Pirelli P Zero correctly pointed out, I was just being silly. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused -- the problem with the internet is that it's sometimes hard to express emotions. All kidding aside, I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of rubbing/scraping, as you're not hurting your car. Worse case scenario: you replace the rubber strip after a couple years.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys (monkey and all, silly or not)! Anyway I have already put the deposit down so I am stuck w/ whatever I am going to get. If I have the car right now I would simply test it in person and wouldn't worry about all these "what if" scenerios. I hope I won't have any buyer's remorse. This is my first Fit and I really want to love it.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Sport clearance big problem

Your stories are all much better than mine. I love my new Sport Fit except for its low clearance. It pretty much scrapes on anything not taken at a deliberate angle--my driveway, any incline, etc. Our streets here in Jackson, MS have dips and bumps because of continually shifting Yazoo clay, so we encounter many imperfections in the road. On Day 5, my son drove through a nearly invisible pothole and CRUNCH--the front bumper skirt had to be replaced. I have learned to take everything at an angle but worry all the time that I will miss seeing something. Last week I was driving out of the bank and started up a slight incline, the underskirt scraped and started dragging. I used duct tape to hold it up until I could get it to my mechanic. He put it on his rack and said it was just that the rivets popped out and he got it back together. Tje Fit just seems to me to be built way too low!!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhodayoder
Tje Fit just seems to me to be built way too low!!
I think the base is fine, just the sport model, due to those useless fancy "skirts". BTW, can I take these underbody thingy out?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Could we '08 people add something like that rubber strip? I've already scraped my paint underneath the front by running into a concrete tree ring...sucks big time!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Or maybe your tires are too low on air???

Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Hmmm....are the 2009 Fit Sports any higher off the ground than the 2007-2008 Sports? I asked my Canadian dealer and he said the ground clearance is the same with or without the body kit (150 mm = 5.9"). It's a bit of a concern with our huge snowbanks around here.......

Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
I find it interesting that this front splitter scraping worry thing is so common with Fit Sport owners. I don't find it low at all because all my previous cars' splitters were lower.

Is is that most Fit owners come from larger sedan/SUV backgrounds?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
See I'm coming from a 2004 Mazda3 Sport GT which also had the lower body kit. It is DEFINITELY lower (from looking at both side by side) than the 2009 Honda Fit. Hence, I'm wondering about all these comments on scraping. I never scraped anything with my Mazda3....

Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
The first day I got mine, I scraped in the driveway and pulled the bumper loose. Had to go back to the dealer to get it put on. I was driving an Element before and forgot what I was doing. Now I'm VERY careful, but I still scrape

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport model w/ low bumpers that scrape?