2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member; new '09 owner reporting in

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
New member; new '09 owner reporting in

Found this forum on a Google search. Seems to have the most posts. Wanted to say hello and give share a few views with the group. New owner here: Crystal Black Pearl Sport; Navi; auto. 600+ miles thus far:

(1) Have owned many new cars, including a few fine German two seaters - The new fit is at least as rigid, if not more rigid than any vehicle I've driven. Seems to be carved from a single piece of steel: Not a rattle, not a squeak;

(2) iPod integrates PERFECTLY with navi system: Playlists; albums; artists; etc. shows up (and can be controlled) on the navigation screen. Sound quality is amazingly good, and it's tough to believe this is a 160 watt system with six speakers;

(3) A/C is STRONG - even in Palm Springs with temps of 107. Cools quickly. Disclosure: I had tinted in three different shades, the darkest being medium tint. My tint includes the metallic flake which bounces the light. I was reluctant at first: looks great though and works well. Reminder: This car is black;

(4) Combined mileage thus far; perhaps 70% freeway; 20% LA stop and go: 37.1 according to the dash calculator. I have been observing break-in period and drive this car conservatively;

(5) Navigation system is terrific . . . very easy to input by voice. Good that all functions work while driving, unlike all Toyota/Lexus products. Honda respects the fact that drivers are necessarily adults who do not need to be legislated. Most irritating that Toyota shuts down Nav controls while moving.

(6) I felt "locked in" to ordering the Nav. option simply because I wanted traction. Perhaps the most under-rated, yet most necessary safety feature. In retrospect, I have no regrets about the bundling of Nav. with the traction, as the Nav is a superior system and I love the way it integrates my iPod; Standard Active Head Restraints are standard as well - most important, I believe, since more than 40% of accidents are "rear-ends." If safety is of issue this is one of the few small vehicles with all features standard - except traction.

(7) One single disappointment: No Bluetooth. Anyone know of a non aftermarket Bluetooth (plug and play?) from Honda? Seems odd that all of the '09 Hondas with Navi includes Bluetooth, except the Fit. Conspicuously missing. Not one for after market retrofits that necessitate tampering with electronics. Had a ML that caught fire the day after a beefed up independent security system was installed.

(8) Fantastic five speed automatic. No searching for proper gear . . . Instant downshifts at the correct moment. Car is very spirited, fun to drive.

(9) Lastly, and in this instance, the new Fit speaks for itself: More space than any car of this size. Terrifically comfortable for four passengers; Huge interior space - SUV interior size; Ease of putting rears seats backs down while bench "drops" down; Ease of putting rear bench up and creating vertical space is amazing.

(10) Love this car.

That's my update . . . There is some subjectivity here, of course . . but no tie-in to the Honda Corporation. Footnote: Car purchased at Sierra Honda - Los Angeles area.

Best to all, Peter

Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Great post!

Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum.

Post some pics so we can see the "metallic flake" tint.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual

Post some pics so we can see the "metallic flake" tint.
I second that motion.

And reading your post was like reading something straight from Honda. I've got a deposit on my '09 FIT and now I'm just waiting and reading up on whatever info I can find.

Last edited by ALL THAT JAZZ; 09-13-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats and welcome to the Fit family

Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay guys, here is Peter's car (OneThinkingGuy).

Metallic Flake Tint.

Last edited by ALL THAT JAZZ; 09-13-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
welcome to FF
keep the pics coming also
i also like you little review. very good for new people.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Can you post more shots of tint and % in each section?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like my tint, though I got Llumar AT35.

Good to hear you have no rattles. I have just one - in the upper dash. It's kinda bugging me. Hopefully I can fix it and then the car is perfect!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Congrats on the new Fit and welcome to the forum. Your post was excellent -- very insightful, articulate and well written. I'm interested why you wanted VSA living in CA, though I understand it's not only handy in inclement conditions. I'm still on the fence regarding navi given it's price tag, especially relative to a top-shelf aftermarket from Garmin (etc). One question I have for you is "does the navi call out street names when you're approaching a turn, or does it just say turn right at in 200 feet/yards?"

Enjoy the new set of wheels!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Retired Moderator
Thank you for your review.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Yes . . . The Navi system DOES call out specific street names in advance and lets you know how far away the turn is; Secondly, I wanted the VSA (traction) because of one single experience four years ago: 6:30AM Sunset Blvd. headed West. First rain in several weeks. Driving 45 mph; Gardener in small truck pulls out of nowhere and I had to slam on the brakes and go off the road up a long private tree-lined driveway. The car I was in had traction and steered precisely where I wanted. My brakes were slammed. The traction in combo with the ABS saved my life, I am convinced. Issued an edict then: I would NEVER own a car without ABS or traction. Southern Ca. here, yes. . . but very slick roads with oil accumulation at times. Peter

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by OneThinkingGuy
Yes...The Navi system DOES call out specific street names in advance and lets you know how far away the turn is. Peter
Thanks Peter! Really appreciate all your input and for your personal story. I guess VSA is like an insurance policy -- hopefully, it's never needed, but good to have when we do.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes . . . The Navi system DOES call out specific street names in advance ...
From what I heard before Honda's navi did not have text to speech (pronounce street names), but maybe this year it's added. Can you verify that it can pronounce all street names, not just I-95 or numberred streets, but also "sunset blvd" or "huckleberry ave"?

Also, do you have any problems w/ glare on the navi screen when the sun shines in from sides and back?

I am seriously consider changing my order to a navi/VSA model now.

Thanks a lot for the great review!

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 09-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM
OneThinkingGuy, how much did you get you car OTD from Sierra Honda?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey! I work at Acura here in Cathedral City, CA. I figured you bought it elsewhere because we've only had 2 SSMs at our honda store.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
I know Sierra Honda was gona make me purchase some extras like lojack and stuff when I went to get a quote from them so I passed. Anyways nice tint.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi . . Are you sure that your dash rattle is not coming from a remote you store on your sun visor? I had what sounded like a dashboard rattle and ended up being the garage remote hitting the headliner. Just a possibility! p

Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
You are welcome! The Nav system calls out street names 1/2 mile in advance, consistently. Helpful. p

Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Hi . . Are you sure that your dash rattle is not coming from a remote you store on your sun visor? I had what sounded like a dashboard rattle and ended up being the garage remote hitting the headliner. Just a possibility! p
No, no remote. It's in the dash.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
No, no remote. It's in the dash.
Take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. Maybe as simple as a loose wire not securely fastened. It's a brand new car, shouldn't sound like a piece of junk.

Quick Reply: New member; new '09 owner reporting in