2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

McGard wheel locks (locking lug nut)

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Question McGard wheel locks (locking lug nut)

What's the general feeling about McGard? I know they make the Honda brand wheel locks, so should I go with them? Are there any other good brands I should look at?

I'm getting my Sport Fit this week (hopefully), so the wheels are stock.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Can anyone help me out?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fittysense
Can anyone help me out?
IMO, the McGard locks are good quality and work just fine. You can buy the OEM Honda locks made by McGard cheaper on line than you usually can from your dealer, unless your dealer throws them in for free (not likely, but some buyers have had this happen).

You probably can't make your wheels theft PROOF, but you can make the theft take more time than the thief wants to spend on your car. STRONG suggestion, whatever locks you buy will come with a registration card that you send back to the manufacturer. This registers your lock id number so that you can order another key if you lose yours. On that card, you can also order a SPARE key. My suggestion is to order the spare, and keep it at home, not in your car. If the dealer or tire shop loses your original key, you have the solution to the problem waiting for you in case you ever need it. Cheap insurance (spare key costs under $10.00).

Now, just wait for all of the warnings about how thieves can use Vise-Grips to remove the locks. I personally don't believe that this is possible without damage to the wheels that are the object of the theft- so why would they bother?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone know the part number for the McGard wheel locks, '09 Fit Sport? I had a frustrating time at Pep Boys today as they "couldn't find it" in their computer, even for the '08....bs.

They had two different ones for 12X1.5, and I didn't know which were right so I didn't buy them...

Looking at the McGard website it says 24196 and 24137 are only for aftermarket wheels. I have OEM.
McGard Wheel Locks and Centercap Locks

Please help! I'll be getting my car any day now and the dealer agreed to put them on for me no charge, so I need to pick them up asap. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Fitty, I'd just get em online from one of the discount places like bernardi or college hills. They're dead easy to put on. besides, you need to know how to use the lug wrench in case you have a flat (knock on wood).

Clever name you got there!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
Fitty, I'd just get em online from one of the discount places like bernardi or college hills. They're dead easy to put on. besides, you need to know how to use the lug wrench in case you have a flat (knock on wood).

Clever name you got there!
haha thanks!

Seems like if I can find them, Pep Boys will still be cheaper. I've been searching the forums... they need to be ball seat for stock sport wheels not cone right? It's strange because I don't even see them on McGard's website... I'll call around tomorrow and figure it out!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
You could always remove a lug nut and bring it into the store with you. They are ball seat, btw. Good luck, I think you'll be sucessful.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 PM
You could always remove a lug nut and bring it into the store with you. They are ball seat, btw. Good luck, I think you'll be sucessful.
Don't have the car yet (hoping for tomorrow)! Wanted the locks in time for when I pick it up so I can get them installed at the dealership.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by fittysense
Don't have the car yet (hoping for tomorrow)! Wanted the locks in time for when I pick it up so I can get them installed at the dealership.
Oh yeah, I forgot that little detail...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that little detail...
I guess it's no rush... my boyfriend doesn't have wheel locks and he drives a Subaru WRX. He's had it since '04 and hasn't had a problem yet.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Once you pick the car up from the dealer, JUST DONT STOP DRIVING! That way nobody can steal your wheels.. Works for me..

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
STRONG suggestion, whatever locks you buy will come with a registration card that you send back to the manufacturer. This registers your lock id number so that you can order another key if you lose yours. On that card, you can also order a SPARE key. My suggestion is to order the spare, and keep it at home, not in your car. If the dealer or tire shop loses your original key, you have the solution to the problem waiting for you in case you ever need it. Cheap insurance (spare key costs under $10.00).
This option is included in the packaging for the OEM Honda locks? I missed that. Never crossed my mind! I guess I'll be digging around in the basement tomorrow morning. I know I put the removed stock lugnuts in the locking lug nuts packaging. Thanks for the info, rep to you Manxman!

Last edited by feddup; 09-19-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Once you pick the car up from the dealer, JUST DONT STOP DRIVING! That way nobody can steal your wheels.. Works for me..
Awesome! Sounds like a plan to me.