2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Did you guys look at Nissan Versa?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Did you guys look at Nissan Versa?

Hey all,

Since another thread got me thinking about Fit's competition, i want to ask you guys if the Nissan Versa was on your shopping list?? If so, what did you think of it?? On paper, it seems like the Versa is slightly bigger with more passenger room and near equivalent cargo room. It just does not seem "special" or "unique" to me because it really does not offfer all the cool little things that you can do in a Fit (tall mode for instance). Anyway, Versa gets identical fuel economy with CVT. I have not looked nor testdrive the Versa, so i want to see what you guys think of it.

It does not have VSA (as standard or option), but it does have Smart Key and bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
You can get the Versa with a 6-speed, but in terms of feel it is not as nice as the Fit's 5-speed.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
HAHAHAHA

when i think nissan versa, I think of heroes season 1

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I`m still a 2009 Fit undecided purchaser, and just today I decided to check out the Nissan Versa website to read up on it. On paper, it does look equivalent to the Fit and even has some extras. Bluetooth, steering wheel mounted audio controls, and moonroof are all missing features on the Fit (in Canada we have no Nav so no audio controls). But like you said, Versa has no tall mode, fold flat rear seats, iPod integration, or cupholders. But man the Versa is ugly compared to the Fit. Haven`t test driven a Versa yet tho I like what I`ve tried of the Fit (test driven it 3 times)

Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 PM
quality

The Versa does has some attributes that make it desirable. Under scrutiny it seems to fail where the Fit excels, the details. In fit and finish and potential dependability issues the Fit smokes it. If you were going to own it for a short time it might be a good choice. Let someone else eat the repair costs after you've sold it. Also the rear seats apparently don't even get close the the Fit's magic seats. The fits versatility and flexability are it's best selling points. That perfectly flat floor is priceless if you need it! Long term dependability and resale value is an area Nissan can't even get close to Honda on as well!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I do not believe the Versa is built in Japan but i may be wrong. Some people think that is important others do not.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I looked at the Versa and was just not impressed with it. Maybe because the sales guy was a complete idiot who had been there three days and kept telling us how Former Mavericks Head Coach Avery Johnson just bought the dealership. Why that matters when buying a car I'm not sure. So we just left and didn't think twice about it. I don't think they are very attractive looking cars and just didn't appeal to me much.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
At least for 2k more you can get a Fit w/ navi and VSA. the versa doesn't even have stability control available at any price. I don't think the versa looks bad, just more conservative. On the other hand, versa has much better interiors. I hate black, and I feel like being in a dirty black coal mine in a Fit sport. Plus black absorbs heat. Imaging come back in after the car has been sitting in the hot noon sun for an hour in the summer - don't you think it will burn your butt like hot coals? unless you cover your seats w/ alumnum foil. Yuck! The versa's light interior is really clean and neat looking, and it comes w/ a cargo cover that rolls up like old Fits'. Fit's new black interior does have one advantage though - for you messy boy drivers it doesn't show stains!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 AM
First saw the Versa at the annual auto show and thought this is the car for me. However, after driving the vehicle, it was a serious disappointment. Shortly after, I drove the Fit and I knew immediately, this was the best car for me. Frankly, I liked everything about it and drives better than any other vehicle in it's class. Really, I think it is in a class of it's own. I should add that I also drove the Scion xD and Mazda3 Hatchback and while both of these are great cars, they just don't drive as well as the FIT! The Fit is just MORE FUN to drive. Let's face it, isn't that what makes the FIT the BEST choice?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
What sets the Fit apart from its competitors is it's a driver's car. Honda made it driver-focused in terms of handling, steering, engine response, braking, etc.

Not to mention:
- seating and cargo flexibility
- high mpg
- Honda reliability
- outstanding resale
- safety technology
- high-grade interior materials

Did I forget anything?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 AM
the versa looks like it has a saggy butt from side profile =P

I didn't like the interior either

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM
The seats don't fold down all the way! The just fold in half and there's a 6 inch drop to the floor. I had a VW Golf and they figured out how to do it, Honda has a great design... Nissan, what were you thinking!?

Oh, but there's a foam piece from the spare you can use to even out the floor...um, no thanks.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
I test drove the Versa. The Versa's interior is better than the Fit but the seats don't fold down flat which is a deal killer for me. Also the steering feels weird on it. Other than that the Versa is great - just not for me.

I'd highly recommend taking the Versa for a drive before buying the Fit. You may be surprised. Compared to the Toyota/Scion the Versa is better in my opinion.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
FIT IS GO!!

however versa is not.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I looked at several cars, including the Versa, before deciding on the Fit.

Reasons that I chose the Fit:

I liked the "fit and finish" of the Fit better.
The Fit was more comfortable.
The Fit drove and handled better.
The Fit was more flexible.
Research seemed to indicate that in real world driving, that the Fit got better gas mileage.
I liked the looks of the Fit better.
Consumer Reports recommended the Fit

On the other side of the coin:
I could have gotten a below MSRP deal on the Versa (I paid exactly MSRP for the FIT).
Selection and choice were better (there were actually a few Versas on the lot, only one base Fit - had to order).
Dealer was closer (I had to drive 125 miles to the nearest Honda dealer)

Last edited by TheSaint; 09-16-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Edmunds.com has a long term Versa and an '07 Fit. Its worth culling through their reviews if you're having trouble deciding.

2007 Honda Fit Sport Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

2007 Nissan Versa SL Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

Its too bad Nissan didn't adopt the styling of the Versa's platform mate, the Renault Modus - I think (with the exception of the headlights) it looks a lot better than the left in the oven too long Versa. Renault UK - Renault Cars - Modus & Grand Modus

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Fitlurker
I do not believe the Versa is built in Japan but i may be wrong. Some people think that is important others do not.
Made in Mexico...totally turned me off about it, and I'm a die hard Nissan guy.

Plus it just didn't have the looks that the Fit does, maybe in Nismo trim it looks good but they never came out with a package for the consumer. If they would have I would have been all over it.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Thai
Hey all,

Since another thread got me thinking about Fit's competition, i want to ask you guys if the Nissan Versa was on your shopping list?? If so, what did you think of it?? On paper, it seems like the Versa is slightly bigger with more passenger room and near equivalent cargo room. It just does not seem "special" or "unique" to me because it really does not offfer all the cool little things that you can do in a Fit (tall mode for instance). Anyway, Versa gets identical fuel economy with CVT. I have not looked nor testdrive the Versa, so i want to see what you guys think of it.

It does not have VSA (as standard or option), but it does have Smart Key and bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.

I owned a Versa SL for 6 months before exchanging for a Fit Sport.
The Versa is bigger inside and seats 2 or 3 in the rear seat much better than my Fit. much faster, too and gets at least as good mpg. But:

The Versa drives like a truck or my father's 1980 Oldsmobile, take your pick. Couldn't tolerate it any longer.

The Versa got as good mpg, if not better, than my Fit. Both are autos, and the Versa is a CVT with a bigger engine that doesn't downshift so much on even tiny hills. MultiCD unit too. My Versa easily pulled away from my Fit on the road unless the road gets real curvy. The Versa will be in trouble with young families only if Honda equips the Fit with CVT, 1700cc Civic HX engine (true 40+ mpg and much more torque, we have one of those, too), and rear discs as they do overseas. Had to put discs on mine. Sounds like Honda is GMizing.
Or maybe Honda is expecting the miniiCivic hybrid coming in April to take on the Versa. They claim the price will be right at the top of Fit prices. And roomier than the Versa.

Last edited by mahout; 09-16-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Or maybe Honda is expecting the miniiCivic hybrid coming in April to take on the Versa. They claim the price will be right at the top of Fit prices. And roomier than the Versa.
That "miniCivic hybrid" is formally called Insight, AGAIN. But judging by the way the Fit is being sold at MSRP at best, I am sure dealer will add more market adjustment fee to the new hybrid when it comes out, as I imaging the demand will be great. It will be slightly bigger than the Fit, and also have Fit's magic seat, and I guess it will have VSA standard too (Honda said it would be "full of amenities"). For those of you who wants to buy the navi Fit and can wait til next spring/summer, it's better to wait and see. More should be known about Insight in a couple of weeks at the Paris Auto Show. I would definitely wait for the Insight if I didnt' need a car soon.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I wasn't as impressed by the overall inside/outside look of the Versa compared to the Fit. It doesn't seem to work well together as my Fit does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did you guys look at Nissan Versa?