2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Navi Review

Hi, I am debating on rather I should get my fit with navi or without. Can anyone provide me with some reviews (such as quality, functionality and compatibility with other mp3 devices using the USB interface), pros & cons and comparison with a portable GPS device?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 AM
No other add-on GPS can compete with OEM Navi system. I have one on my other car and so far it's still the best if I compare those in the market. The newer one on Fit should be even better.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM
I think the question of navi or no navi simply boils down to how much you’ll use it. There’s no question that having a built-in unit with great functionality (albeit without Bluetooth capability or satellite radio) is a much slicker, cleaner way to go. Also, you’ll get VSA, which is mandated on all cars in US by 2012 model year, and steering wheel mounted audio controls. That said, spending $1850 (plus sales tax) for the factory navi isn’t chump change. Also, when you go to resell the car keep in mind that the navi, after 4 years, doesn’t bring much if anything at trade, and perhaps no more than $500 at resale. So, imho, only get the navi if you plan on using it a lot, and really want VSA and wheel mounted controls. Otherwise, the technology is changing so fast (i.e., prices are dropping like a rock in the aftermarket) that a $300 Garmin will do you fine.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
The following comparison is based on Fit's factory built-in and another top of the line portable such as a high end Garmin:

factory pros:
- factory navi is well integrated w/ the audio system and other car components
- there's no dangling wire and won't use up the only DC outlet in a Fit
- large screen, impossible on portables
- voice controlled w/ built-in steering wheel buttons (only a few top of the line portables are voiced controlled and may require seperate control devices)
- can still figure out where you are going even if the signal is temporarily lost
- bigger antenna means great reception and totally invisible.
- Honda's navi is the best out there
- won't encourage thieves to break in (even the windshield suction alone gives a clue that there maybe a portable navi somewhere in the car).
- if does get stolen, covered by your insurance

factory cons:
- not as many bells and whistles as higher end portable. things like "lane adviser", 3-d view and mapquest import can be helpful features.
- no integrated bluetooth while many portables do. It's really convenient when you are searching a POI and simply click or say "dial" to call that store (to verify their biz hours, or if that place still exists; POI dababases are notorious for being out of date. You don't want to waste precious time and gas).
- no live traffic data available, which can be helpful if you regularly drive in congested metro areas.
- no map of canada, if you need to drive across the border for cheaper medicine or something
- DVD based, not as fast as solid-state or hard drive memory, when it comes to searching and stuff. Most portables use fast solid state memory now.
- much more expensive than even the best portable
- map updates are a lot more expensive than portable's
- if broken after warranty period, costs about 4000 to replace; With the portable, simply buy a newer, better, cheaper model
- cannot be transferred to a rental car or your next car
- cannot be used on bikes or while walking.
- screen angle not adjustable (I assume, correct me if I am wrong), so glare can be a big problem. I have seen a YouTube review where the screen literally gets washed out and useless.
- will get old really fast; will not add much to resell value (portable ones depreciates a lot too, but they cost so little to begin with simply treat them as "disposable", similar to old ipods).

Summary: if money is not a big concern to you, and you use navi all the time, better go w/ the factory (also VSA, steering control, etc.). However, i think if you plan on driving this car for 10 years or more, sooner or later you will need to replace that build-in w/ some sort of aftermarket thingy.

Anyone else wants to add on to my list please do. Gee, I am exhausted!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
If you are on a budget, I think the extra $1800 is too much to spend unless you used it all the time. If you have the extra cash, I think the VSA, steering wheel mounted controls along with a bigger screen than aftermarket portable devices, make it worth it. At least to me they do.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
I'll get it, only because I want to get VSA. Shame it's bundled like it is.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks

Thanks guys (especially Surviver ) for the in-depth information and I think most likely I will go with the Navi just because of the VSA.

?? I got one more question. Will the Navi support any Asian language such as Chinese or Japanese? Most of my songs in my ipod are either Japanese or Chinese and I am wonder will the name of the song shows up correctly on screen ??

Thank so much again

Old 09-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Ha, I have a lot of Chinese, Japanese and even some Korean songs too. I read some time ago that the Asian characters would not be properly displayed based on the first gen audio that could read mp3 tags. Since this navi unit was made specifically for American market (other countries don't have navi at all - except Japan which has a totally different traffic system), I doubt they would go overboard to accomodate those of us who are either immirgrants or are into foreign music. But then, anyone who actually owns a navi unit and wants to test a song or two, email me and I will send you a short mp3 clip w/ the Chinese unicode tags.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Thumbs down Fit to be tied

I am upset that the Nav/radio doesn't include Bluetooth or XM.

Anyone know why?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
I am upset that the Nav/radio doesn't include Bluetooth or XM.

Anyone know why?
Yes - cost! Honda will add bluetooth later, probably as early as next year. Bluetooth was trickled down from higher models. On 2008 model year Accords they finally added bluetooth, and a year later they added bluetooth to the Civic, and the Fit is a class below Civic so we would have to wait a bit longer.

Here's my speculation: next model year or two we will see VSA standard (at least on sport model), and bluetooth and XM will be added to the navi model. Any new technology will always be implemented on the highest end models first (ie: Acuras) and our dear Fit will always be the last one to join the family.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
Here's my speculation: next model year or two we will see VSA standard (at least on sport model), and bluetooth and XM will be added to the navi model. Any new technology will always be implemented on the highest end models first (ie: Acuras) and our dear Fit will always be the last one to join the family.
One of the things I don't understand is why the navi for the Fit doesn't have XM radio this year, as the unit was essentially borrowed from the Civic, which includes XM radio. Perhaps Honda was trying to keep the cost down. As a side note, I've learned through another forum that the Fit's navi doesn't call out street names (e.g., turn left on Maple Ave), which is a disappointment to me, especially since many aftermarket units for under $300 inlclude this feature, as well as bluetooth. Finally, in my opinion, VSA will be a stand-alone option on all Fits next year in keeping with Honda's "safety for everyone" theme. It'll be interesting to see how Honda unbundles VSA, and how much they charge for it -- I've seen stability control as an option on other smallish cars for around $600, so I can't picture Honda adding it into the car without raising the sticker price. Also, if Honda does add VSA, (whether on all Fits or as an option), I'm curious as to how much navi will be by itself? Only time will tell, but I can't wait another year to find out.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Once VSA is taken out of the bundle, fewer people will want the navi option. As an economy car owner, most will prefer the after market portable kind that offers more features, portable and easy/cheap to replace if broken. Honda must add more than simple navi to it to keep people buying it. bluetooth and xm radio is a must, but should include more "perks". I know many people here ended up buying the navi model this year only because of VSA. I will never buy the navi model if VSA is not bundled, because once I am paying that much for a navi system I am better looking at the new Insight, which should start at mid 18000 or 19000, and it's a cool hubrid.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Good news Monkey, it does say street names. In the other thread where you were asking about it, the guy said the navi was not on the default setting. On the default setting, it says street names, but there is an option to change it. It's in the navi manual, which can be downloaded at whatever link the owner's manual is at.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Good news Monkey, it does say street names. In the other thread where you were asking about it, the guy said the navi was not on the default setting. On the default setting, it says street names, but there is an option to change it. It's in the navi manual, which can be downloaded at whatever link the owner's manual is at.
Thanks for the info SheepNutz. I had suspected that the navi called out street names, but when I read the other post I was surprised and disappointed. All is right in the world again!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
I do wish bluetooth was included. Not too concerned with SAT radio now b/c Sirius/XM are suppose to release new radios soon so I'm curious to see what that's going to be like.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Link to Navigation Guide Online?

Does anyone have the link to the manual?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic
Does anyone have the link to the manual?

Thanks!

You could search under "navi manual".

Here it is anyways...
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...0/ANV39085.pdf

Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by corey415
You could search under "navi manual".

Here it is anyways...
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...0/ANV39085.pdf
Thank you!!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Silly Monkey
Thanks for the info SheepNutz. I had suspected that the navi called out street names, but when I read the other post I was surprised and disappointed. All is right in the world again!
The street names option instructions are on page 74 of the manual.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I just bought the 09 fit sport with navi. I really like the navi being integrated into the car radio system etc. But, my TomTom 720 has more 'verified areas'. I have found many unverified areas on my fit navi, which is frustrating if you need to go through unverified areas to get to your destination.

Quick Reply: Navi Review