2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quickie Mod Report: Body Molding

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Thumbs up Quickie Mod Report: Body Molding

First, I wanted to thank whoever posted the links to College Hills Honda and HandA Accessories. Both sites carry most dealer-installed accessories and have PDF instructions online. I decided to go with one of these on-line dealers after getting gouged $100 bucks at my "stealer" for wheel locks that these guys charge $35. Granted, my wheel locks were installed by the dealer as well.

Next, I wanted to thank H and A. I ordered yesterday. When I checked out, it said something like orders placed after 2PM will be processed the next day. That is a lie. I GOT IT the next day. Wow. The body molding was $148 + tax + shipping. (MSRP was $200.) I also got the carpet floor mats.

Installation is quite easy, albeit a little tedious. The worst part is peeling back the backing tape on the adhesive which is attached by some infernal glue. That takes half the installation time.

I used blue painters tape to hold the very nice included hardboard templates. You tape the templates around the door handles while lining them up with door edges/creases. Then, there is a notch in the cardboard to fit the moldings. It's pretty fool-proof, but you do have to be a bit careful not to mix up the parts and install them on the wrong side or let the adhesive touch anything before mounting.

The instructions call for a special roller tool. To be honest, if I had the tool, I would not have used it. Just use your thumb and forefinger to press firmly in place.

The quality of the parts and paint-match is perfect. Again, the only trouble I encountered was getting the backing tape off. Don't even try this if you have just cut your fingernails.

I highly recommend this mod (OK, it's not really a mod since it's factory parts) as this helps protect your baby's doors.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm getting ready to apply mine to my new Taffeta White Sport. Looks like an easy install. I did trim my nails yesterday so I may use a pocketknife to remove the mask.

I ordered the moldings, carper mats, clear edge trim, wheel locks, and interior LED lighting from collegehills. Delivery was fast!

When I picked up the car this morning, they had already installed (without mentioning it) mats, applique and door trim. So, I'm selling that stuff. They also threw in the cargo organiser and cargo mat.. I'll use the cargo mat but the organizer, not so sure.

Dang, I need to check to see if MAYBE they put on a sport grilll.....;-)

Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Any pics? I'm thinking about getting this as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Just got back from installing mine - no sweat.. OrangeRev was right - getting the mask off of the adhesive tape is the hardest part. I used a pocketknife blade but was still a pain.

Make sure you get the templates taped on correctly, that is a critical part.

No pics yet, to follow soon.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by TWGE08
Any pics? I'm thinking about getting this as well.
Here ya go. Sorry, the picture is not that great, and the picture is taken after the install. I dug a template out of the recycling bin. It's not taped on -- just resting on the molding, but you should get the idea.

Name:  BodyMolding.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  20.5 KB

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
They also threw in the cargo organiser and cargo mat.. I'll use the cargo mat but the organizer, not so sure.
Do you have any pics of the cargo organizer (beyond the Honda-supplied)? Does it attach to the tie downs at all? I maybe interested in this if it's better than a typical off-the-shelf organizer that would possibly slide around.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM
It has straps that clip onto the front tie-down points. Folds up flat. It's surprisingly heavy, well made. I just don't need no organizin'..

PM me w/ an offer if interested.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
I saw these on that one guy's new Tidewater fit, and I'm just not digging them. They seem to break up the lines of the car to me.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I saw these on that one guy's new Tidewater fit, and I'm just not digging them. They seem to break up the lines of the car to me.
In real life, they look fine to me, although I will admit they do not "add" to the looks of the Fit. Probably also looks worse on lighter colors.

If, however, you park next to other cars, the moldings will look a lot better than the dents and chips you will get. I've spent way too much on another car for paintless dent repair than I care to remember.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM
smoothness!

Originally Posted by SheepNutz
They make the side view of the car less "clean". Unfortunately so do big chips in your door. No easy answers. I'd still like to hear from people that have installed these strips, left them for months/years and then removed them. Do they come off clean? I've avoided any door dings by parking WAAAAY out in the parking lot but it's only a matter of time before some hillbilly "buddy" in a SUV or PU decides to "bond" with me and give me a souvenir to remember him by.

Last edited by feddup; 09-18-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'm getting ready to apply mine to my new Taffeta White Sport. Looks like an easy install. I did trim my nails yesterday so I may use a pocketknife to remove the mask.

I ordered the moldings, carper mats, clear edge trim, wheel locks, and interior LED lighting from collegehills. Delivery was fast!

When I picked up the car this morning, they had already installed (without mentioning it) mats, applique and door trim. So, I'm selling that stuff. They also threw in the cargo organiser and cargo mat.. I'll use the cargo mat but the organizer, not so sure.

Your dealer gave you those accessories for free?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Yep, the mats, edge trim, cargo tray and organizer were in the car when I took delivery. Surprised (and delighted) me.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, the mats, edge trim, cargo tray and organizer were in the car when I took delivery. Surprised (and delighted) me.
What was your Price not counting Tax?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I paid $500 over MSRP. So, yeah I guess they weren't "thrown in" for free..

Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by OrangeRevolution
In real life, they look fine to me, although I will admit they do not "add" to the looks of the Fit. Probably also looks worse on lighter colors.
I just realized why they don't look too bad to me (that I hadn't realized before). Duh. There is already a crease in the doors at that spot anyway. So, I don't think it really messes up the lines that much.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor
We have body side molding for less! We offer both standard and wide widths for the old an NEW model.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by zetaproducts.net
We have body side molding for less! We offer both standard and wide widths for the old an NEW model.

Still not showing up on your website. Is it priced the same as the '07-'08s and do they look the same?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
They are on the site. They are priced the same as the 08's. Sorry but no images of the 09's installed yet.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zetaproducts.net
They are on the site. They are priced the same as the 08's. Sorry but no images of the 09's installed yet.
Any plans to come out with Stainless Steel Bumper Cover for 2009 fits?

Old 09-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Funny - I went to check this morning and sure enough, they DID put a sport grill on.. Heehee....

I'm not sure why they put all these accessories on - I sure didn't order them (I bought my stuff online), but hey, I'll take it!

Quick Reply: Quickie Mod Report: Body Molding