2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel fill-up mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Overfilling can put raw gasoline into the evaporative canister which vents from the top of the filler neck.

Not sure if Cannuckistanis have this, but in NA, we have evap canisters that are filled w/ activated charcoal, that "soak up"and hold gas vapors and later feed those back into the intake or airbox, to prevent unburnt hydrocarbons venting into the atmosphere.

If you have liq. gas in the evap, that's bad and you'll prolly fail an emisions test (I hear they test for that. Prolly only in big metro areas).

Old 10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
Overfilling can put raw gasoline into the evaporative canister which vents from the top of the filler neck.

Not sure if Cannuckistanis have this, but in NA, we have evap canisters that are filled w/ activated charcoal, that "soak up"and hold gas vapors and later feed those back into the intake or airbox, to prevent unburnt hydrocarbons venting into the atmosphere.

If you have liq. gas in the evap, that's bad and you'll prolly fail an emisions test (I hear they test for that. Prolly only in big metro areas).
Boy, is there ANYTHING my fellow Fitfreakers don't know? Seriously, every question I've asked (and yes, I ask ALOT) has had intelligent replies...well ok, most have. Thanks for the details.

+1 Rep (glad I actually know what that means now!)

Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks FC_G - we learned about this in class today, I was paying attention!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks FC_G - we learned about this in class today, I was paying attention!
Now I need to find out how people go from "newbie to member to senior member to...." Think the top title is "Spends their life on Fitfreak" or something. Need to see a breakdown of that so I can have something to aim for....

Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Now I need to find out how people go from "newbie to member to senior member to...." Think the top title is "Spends their life on Fitfreak" or something. Need to see a breakdown of that so I can have something to aim for....
Looks to me as if you're on the right track. Probably related to number of posts.

Thx for the rep, I gave one to you a few weeks ago but I don't think it showed up. How does the "rep" system work?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Why wait? We already spend our lives on Fitfreak so we should have that title now!! And what's higher than that? You have to buy the website? "Fitfreak owner"?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks to me as if you're on the right track. Probably related to number of posts.

Thx for the rep, I gave one to you a few weeks ago but I don't think it showed up. How does the "rep" system work?
You just click on the box at the top right corner and it says "add to XXX's reputation". Then you click "approve or disapprove" and you can leave a comment, if you choose. Not sure how many people have to give you positive rep before it goes up by 1 (more than 1 though).

Yes, the "title" is related to # of posts so I'm rolling right along!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Why wait? We already spend our lives on Fitfreak so we should have that title now!! And what's higher than that? You have to buy the website? "Fitfreak owner"?
You really do need some sleep hey? LOL. Don't get all wound up now. I'm the one with more posts and less rep power. Yup, I've got that "Spends her life on Fitfreak" title in the bag. I don't think there IS anything higher than that....

Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
First gen Fits are infamous for holding up to 2 gallons more than their supposed 10.9 gallon capacity. The hypermiling and ECO-Fit crowd have lots of posts about it. The way to get that extra 2 gallons in there is to pump very, very slowly.

Sounds to me as though the new car has the same "magic" fuel capacity as the old one.

Several of the hypermilers are filling up right to the top of the filler neck. So far, nobody has reported any ill effects on the evaporative recovery system or any other systems. They just go further before having to fill up again.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by wdb
First gen Fits are infamous for holding up to 2 gallons more than their supposed 10.9 gallon capacity. The hypermiling and ECO-Fit crowd have lots of posts about it. The way to get that extra 2 gallons in there is to pump very, very slowly.

Sounds to me as though the new car has the same "magic" fuel capacity as the old one.

Several of the hypermilers are filling up right to the top of the filler neck. So far, nobody has reported any ill effects on the evaporative recovery system or any other systems. They just go further before having to fill up again.
Hm....more + rep to be sent! I WAS fueling very very VERY slowly and it just kept on going in! Pretty alarming actually. I don't want to fill up too much since I did go through having a clogged fuel filler neck filter with my Mazda3 this January! That's our coldest month so it must have been overfilled then froze/gunked up in the filter.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
You really do need some sleep hey? LOL. Don't get all wound up now. I'm the one with more posts and less rep power. Yup, I've got that "Spends her life on Fitfreak" title in the bag. I don't think there IS anything higher than that....
Too bad we don't earn rep points at TOV, hehe.

As for the fuel capacity, one time I came dangerously close to running on empty with my Fit. After my empty light came on I drove for another 30 or so miles. Honda says you have 1.64 US gallons remaining after the light comes on. So when I filled the tank up it filled with 10.4 gallons or 0.2 gallons remaining in the tank. But I didn't top off. (never do)

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
I think the "Spends their life on Fitfreak" has to do with post #'s as well as time of registration. If other msg boards are any indication.

I got the time just not the posts or reps....

back to the thread topic.
I've always filled to the extreme top of the filler tube, sometimes I even used to see the gas, and I never had any problems with my previous Honda's or other car makes regarding that.

But after reading all this I don't think I'm gonna try it too much on my new Fit.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, @ work we call that a "superfill" wouldn't do that too often, as theFoo said, it fills the charcoal/evap canister which will give you more volume but really isn't good for your emissions system. It may boost your MPG figures (artificially) but @ what cost?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
.... Cannuckistanis .....
LMAO!!!!!

When I went to Montreal for the F1 race I got in to the habit of calling the $$$ - Canuck Bucks.

no disrespect to our Canadian friends and family (I got some cousins up there, somewhere) to the north.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
LMAO!!!!!

When I went to Montreal for the F1 race I got in to the habit of calling the $$$ - Canuck Bucks.

no disrespect to our Canadian friends and family (I got some cousins up there, somewhere) to the north.
No disrespect taken Yes, we realize that people to the South of us think our money looks like "funny money" or "monopoly cash". Well at least we can figure out a $20 from a $5 based on color! Less chance of mix ups this way so I think our money is actually quite creative....

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Stop overfilling your fits!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by FitStir
I think the "Spends their life on Fitfreak" has to do with post #'s as well as time of registration. If other msg boards are any indication.

I got the time just not the posts or reps....

back to the thread topic.
I've always filled to the extreme top of the filler tube, sometimes I even used to see the gas, and I never had any problems with my previous Honda's or other car makes regarding that.

But after reading all this I don't think I'm gonna try it too much on my new Fit.
People, seriously, DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR FITS WITH GAS! Take my experience to heart. It just isn't worth it, especially during the winter months when my misshap occured. When the fuel nozzle clicks...remove it! Really, I'm doing you a HUGE favor by telling you this.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I've been "investigating" ways to improve my fuel economy and one way is to fill up early morning and to do so very slowly. Well, that's what I did this morning, barely squeezing the nozzle. It filled....and filled....and filled. Note that my low fuel light was NOT on so I had over 6 L left in my 40 L tank. Well, I put 36 L in and NO click! I was getting worried so just stopped fueling. How much gas could I have gotten in there? Having had a clogged fuel neck filter on my Mazda3, I don't want to overfill yet the darn thing wouldn't stop!

Though it doesn't match my tests, Consumer Reports says that filling in the AM has no effect on how much you fill your tank (the gas temperature changes very little over 24 in the ground) and driving with windows open without air uses no more gas than A/C with windows closed.
Leave it to CR.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
People, seriously, DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR FITS WITH GAS! Take my experience to heart. It just isn't worth it, especially during the winter months when my misshap occured. When the fuel nozzle clicks...remove it! Really, I'm doing you a HUGE favor by telling you this.
I agree - filling to the abs max does nothing for (in fact it probably diminishes) your mpgs. Gasoline weighs (from memory, you could look it up) 6 lbs/gal, so the less of it you're schlepping around, the better.)

If I gotta fill up every 14 days (as opposed to every 15, or 8), who cares? Although Time = Money. I saw a watch that had that in big bold letters one time...

I know high mileage/day drivers have different numbers, but that's the "cost" of a small fuel tank. I guess you could convert your cargo area into a fuel tank.

But an extra 10 minutes every so often seems cheaper to me.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
No disrespect taken Yes, we realize that people to the South of us think our money looks like "funny money" or "monopoly cash". Well at least we can figure out a $20 from a $5 based on color! Less chance of mix ups this way so I think our money is actually quite creative....
Oh, I always loved the CDN bills - colorful and pretty. The US bills OTOH, even the new ones are so monochromatic and stark. It's got to be the dullest bills in the world.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 PM
CBX
Just curious... Did the mechanic who replaced your Mazda's clogged fuel filler filter also suggest replacing the muffler bearings? Seems wierd.

What symptom caused you to take it to the shop?

Quick Reply: Fuel fill-up mystery