2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ticking noise at idle - normal?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Mine has a slight bit of valve noise too, so does my wife's Nissan Altima and every other 4 cylinder I have owned. It may be the injectors though. It is probably nothing and normal, but, since your car is under warrenty, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked and documented. If the dealer says it is normal, then have it documented that he says it is okay. This way if something goes wrong, it's on paper.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
ticking is bad um'k

just get it check out what does that hurt...

Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
does it sound like this?

YouTube - Injector Tick Honda FiT

if so this is just the normal thing with the l15a

Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM
god i hope not

Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
there is a knob on your dash that will fix the ticking noise. its called the radio volume control knob.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
thans funny i would have put just lol but it was too short

Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I took my car to the dealer. They noticed something that I had not heard. Besides the injectors ticking, there was a secondary resonance that could be changed by pressing and releasing the clutch.
It turns out that the main transmission bearing was bad.
This sound is hard to describe. It was kind of whirring sound, like the cars fan, but not as loud as the fan. This sound seemed to reinforce the injector ticking sound.
The dealer tells me the injector ticking noise is normal on all Honda's since about 2003. It does sound like the youtube video posted above. It also sounds much like a diesel engine.
I think it really is the main transmission bearing noise that caught my attention as to there definitely being something wrong. Although, I used to own a 1990 Honda Accord and that engine was virtually silent. I took the car in with 130 miles on it.
Honda gave me a hertz rental car while they fix it. I am driving a brand new Ford Focus. I quite like the way the Focus drives and I have satellite radio with it.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
there is a knob on your dash that will fix the ticking noise. its called the radio volume control knob.
There's a word to describe your response...denial.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by JeffB
It was kind of whirring sound, like the cars fan, but not as loud as the fan.

It does sound like the youtube video posted above. It also sounds much like a diesel engine.

I've also noticed this twice on my new 09 Fit Sport, only 1800km seems to only happen after accelerating a little quicker than normal.
I also tried turning off the engine and then immediately starting it back up, I noticed that this got rid of the sound.
I guess I'll resort to taking it in under warranty.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Mine had that sound since day one. So do the other GEs in the area.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 AM
I have this too. The car has just under 100 miles on it. When I first got the car, it was completely silent. Depressing the clutch, makes the noise go away. Why would the clutch have any effect when the transmission is in neutral?

If it stops when the clutch is depressed it is a tranny problem.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Perhaps I should try to clarify my above post. My main transmission bearing was bad and it was replaced. I have a manual transmission. Depressing the clutch stopped the noise. Releasing the clutch brought the noise back. The sound could only be noticed at idle or with very low RPMs, like almost stopped. With careful listening you could tell the location was the transmission. The engine injectors are also kind of noisy, but after 3500 miles now, I am pretty sure this is normal.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Perhaps I should try to clarify my above post. My main transmission bearing was bad and it was replaced. I have a manual transmission. Depressing the clutch stopped the noise. Releasing the clutch brought the noise back. The sound could only be noticed at idle or with very low RPMs, like almost stopped. With careful listening you could tell the location was the transmission. The engine injectors are also kind of noisy, but after 3500 miles now, I am pretty sure this is normal.
I've had that happen on cars I've owned, and the problem is the throw out bearing in the clutch assembly.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Injector pulse all honda's do this.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Better check the cylinder head

I just found this site; after my 07 Fit broke its cylinder head. I have about 53K miles on it, have always changed the oil 5-6K miles. Original owner; highway travel. Great car. But I had heard a tick and "assumed" it was normal. Then last week - a loud pop; a $100+ tow bill, and now a $700 machine shop repair (handled via the Honda dealer service department) v. a $4,500 new part Honda dealer repair. The service folks told me they had never seen this happen - the spark plug wire and a little box (I think it is like a distributor cap) just broke off while I was driving on a highway. I keep asking why that would happen --- no answers. Not sure what to watch for in the future; but I had heard a tick that I thought was just because it was a small car. Still like my car though!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by riverfit
I just found this site; after my 07 Fit broke its cylinder head. I have about 53K miles on it, have always changed the oil 5-6K miles. Original owner; highway travel. Great car. But I had heard a tick and "assumed" it was normal. Then last week - a loud pop; a $100+ tow bill, and now a $700 machine shop repair (handled via the Honda dealer service department) v. a $4,500 new part Honda dealer repair. The service folks told me they had never seen this happen - the spark plug wire and a little box (I think it is like a distributor cap) just broke off while I was driving on a highway. I keep asking why that would happen --- no answers. Not sure what to watch for in the future; but I had heard a tick that I thought was just because it was a small car. Still like my car though!

I don't think the 'tick' is related to the coil pack breaking. The tick is likely a loose valve clearance. The coil pack is a combined ignition coil and spark plug. (No advantage I can see except adding Honda parts business.) and could fracture and break into two pieces. But very unusual.
The real question I have is the coil pack breaking and causing severe head damage. Losing that plug would make the Fit run very poorly and the 'box' you describe rattle around a bit - but not long assuming you knew to stop under those conditions) but doesn't seem to be a reason for the head to be damaged severely enough to require a $700 machine shop service or head replacement.
Perhaps your Fit dropped the ticking valve but surely the piston would be equally damaged and a rebuild required.
Perhaps you can add more information like exactly what machine shop service was performed.
can you help?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Mine does it too. Its normal. I agree all my honda 4cyl have done it. My Integra use to do it all the time even after I had all the lifters adjusted.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
My Fit has had the same thing since it left the showroom. Under throttle in the drive gears (AT) it sounds like a faint ringing sound. I had the dealer check it out, but they said they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

I've been watching threads like this to see if anyone reports any serious issues related to the noise, but it seems to be common and harmless. I am still a little worried that it might need a valve adjustment, though.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
i have the tick too on my 2010 automatic sport w/o nav. didnt really notice it till after taking it back to the dealer for a gps tracker install (skyway), so not sure if it was doing it before. hope this is normal.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
Its probably just the injectors. Engine is so damn quite that the injectors sound much more pronounced. I like the sound personally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking noise at idle - normal?