2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Quality of new FIT

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Smile Ride Quality of new FIT

I test drove a 2007 FIT Sport and although tight and fun to drive, it was VERY rough riding and seemed uncomfortable for long trips. I only drove it for about 20 minutes and that was enough for me to know i didn't want one.

Is the new FIT a better ride? I know they revised the suspension and made it longer, but is the ride quality better? I need a car I can commute in (about 45 minutes each way) and still be fun to drive and good on longer trips (5 to 7 hours at a time) too. I would get the new Sport manual if i get one, don't care about navi much - plus a Garmin is way cheaper.

The dealers around here have plenty in stock now and I am pretty sure I can find color and manual without much problem.

So how is the ride quality of the 2nd generation? I am especially interested in those owners that owned or still own a 1st generation and a 2nd generation.

Thanks.

FIT might be go!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
The ride is firm. I like it that way.

Best thing to do is go and test drive one.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
The ride is firm. I like it that way.

Best thing to do is go and test drive one.
The ride is still quite firm. I don't mind it but others may.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I test drove the 2007 Fit before and didn't get one, I've had my '09 for about a month and it is a better ride, still stiff, but better. My drive to work is on the same road that I test drove the 07 on. Like Virtual said, go and test drive it to see if the GE works for you.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I had an 07 Sport Auto for a year and a half. Drove it an hour to and from work each day AND took it on a long road trip from AZ to IL.

I traded it in for an 09 Sport Auto and will say that I prefer the way the 09 rides MUCH better. It's a nice firm ride which makes the car feel quite solid. It's also got plenty of power when I went to do a little bit of weaving in traffic.

I wasn't quite sure about the comfort because I was so used to the 07, but now that I've gotten used to the 09 I like it a LOT!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
No - its not gonna drive like a Buick.

Still its on the firm side for most average people I'd say... but test drives are hard, you don't even know what tire pressures was on the car.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I had an 07 for almost 2 years and it was a bit rough especially on long trips. The 09 is way better in my opinion. I've driven the same trip in my 09 as I had in my 07 and there was a huge difference. That said, as stated earlier, it's not a Buick.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought the 09 is slightly firmer than the first gen. the base is slightly softer than the sport. coming from a camry i would say it's a very firm ride. i am not a big fan of firm rides but it does get you zip in and out of traffic like a small fish. i haven't done any really long distances yet. i will be driving from atlanta to new york this xmas season and i will report back on my riding experience in Janurary.

p.s. any car that claims to be "sporty" is going to ride harsh. i once sat in my friend's BMW convertible and it felt like drivign on pebble stone streets. I thought my then Civic EX was a much better car.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes I know it is not a Buick - thankfully! But there is a fine line between sporty and liveable day to day in traffic. I used to own a CRX SI, and although very fun and sporty - not exactly what i would call comfortable on trips! If the new FIT is even a little softer without loosing it's fun driving habits, Honda may have a winner.

I am currently looking at the FIT Sport, Suzuki SX4 AWD Crossover, VW Rabbit and VW GTI, and VW CC. Although I am waiting to see if VW releases the new Rabbit/Golf with a diesel this Spring.

I do like the FIT and like the FITs price, but i am concerned about the ride quality and the few things that are missing (temp gauge and a few other essentials).

Although i REALLY dislike the fact that Honda cheaped out on a temp gauge!!! How ECHOish! Come on Honda, give us a factory engine temp gauge!!!

Has anyone added an engine temp gauge?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Comfortable and solid.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned
I have to agree with all of the positive comments- had an '07 Sport for two years, improved the rear suspension with air shocks, and now have an '09 Sport. The new ride is firm enough to be stable, rear shocks are much better, and the overall ride is just fine with me. The '09 feels several feet longer, and a foot wider than the 1st. Gen Fits (but the real difference is a few inches).

Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
My wife is quite sensitive to ride quality. We had an '04 Civic Si and although we both loved the car, she hated the ride, or the seats, not sure which was the culprit, but she could not ride long distances without having her hips and legs hurt. We bought our '09 Fit down in Virginia, and the ride back home to upstate NY was great. She didn't hurt at all after almost 600 miles in one day. So I can't compare the ride/seats to the older Fit, but it is certainly better than the Civic Si.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Great input! Yes i agree, I believe the term is "Honda Hip" and it refers to the poor seat design/and or ride quality. Hondas are know for the same problems in this area. As soon as i took an 07 or 08 for a ride, i knew it was not for me. I loved the sporty feel and handling, but the ride was very stiff, every tiny crack in the road shuttered through the whole car.

I know they have improved the wheelbase and suspension characteristics, however, i haven't had a chance to drive an 09 yet. Just interested in the ride differences. I drove a few VWs and really like the way they feel and handle, but again, i am concerned about reliability. I don't mind turning a wrench here and there, but tracking down electrical issues and gremlins, is not fun.

So i guess i should keep the new FIT on my list until i at least drive one. I really like the price and the size of the car and of course the MPG! But comfortable and fun to drive are big issues with me for my next car.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned
I encourage you to keep it on your list. Your test drive will probably convince you to buy.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Lek
I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris and a 2009 Honda Fit.

The fit is much better on the road than the Yaris. There's not too much sway and the ride feels firm.

I have since lowered the car with 30mm Tanabe springs and the car sits very tight on the road with no sway.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Great input! Yes i agree, I believe the term is "Honda Hip" and it refers to the poor seat design/and or ride quality. Hondas are know for the same problems in this area. As soon as i took an 07 or 08 for a ride, i knew it was not for me. I loved the sporty feel and handling, but the ride was very stiff, every tiny crack in the road shuttered through the whole car.

I know they have improved the wheelbase and suspension characteristics, however, i haven't had a chance to drive an 09 yet. Just interested in the ride differences. I drove a few VWs and really like the way they feel and handle, but again, i am concerned about reliability. I don't mind turning a wrench here and there, but tracking down electrical issues and gremlins, is not fun.

So i guess i should keep the new FIT on my list until i at least drive one. I really like the price and the size of the car and of course the MPG! But comfortable and fun to drive are big issues with me for my next car.
This subject is so based on personal preference, shouldn't you be testing cars before making your choice anyhow?

Not to mention this is a Fit forum, what do you think people will say? hehe.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I originally test-hopped an '08 and put a deposit on one, but it was an '09 that showed up. Having driven them almost back-to-back, my subjective opinion is that the Gen2 car feels much more grown up; it feels more like a real car and less like my '70s Civic.
It is a little harsh on broken pavement, but I'll trade a firm ride for a floaty one any day.
Hell, compared to the Jeep, it feels like a limo...
Moon