2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M bra? worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
3M bra? worth it?

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the 3M bra (or whatever you call it).

It is worth the cost? Someone told me that it starts to yellow over time and was more of a pain than it was good. Just looking for another opinion.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
i've personally never had one. however, a friend of mine who had a scion tc a couple years ago had it. it looked great brand new, but close to a year later, it became foggy-looking.

i don't know what the actual cause was, as i didn't how he maintained it, but he and his gf did live in an apartment complex, and the scion lived outside 24/7

Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Got it on my car since day one. I wouldn't go without it. Worst comes to worst you can peel it off if it get bad in a few years and still have nice shinny paint underneat!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by projekz
Got it on my car since day one. I wouldn't go without it. Worst comes to worst you can peel it off if it get bad in a few years and still have nice shinny paint underneat!
How much stuff did your 3M job cover, and how much was it? I got a quote for $500 from two shops here for essentially full front-end coverage (hood, bumper, mirrors, front fenders, lamp assembly, etc.)

Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I chose not to get one because a friend of mine had one installed on her Honda Accord and hates it... She thinks it looks cheap and I have to agree. It may depend on the color of the vehicle but I can spot one right away because of the seam, and I just don't like the way it looks. Over time I've also heard there will be a color difference between the covered and non-covered areas of the car because the plastic will block some of the UV rays, and those areas will fade at different rates.

I think MOST (but of course not all) rock chips can be avoided by not following closely on the freeway. I have one friend who's had his car almost a year and drives ~35 miles on the freeway per day and does not have one single chip on his vehicle paint because he's careful about not closely following any of the big trucks on the freeway. Another friend (who's also careful on the highway) has had his car for 3 years and has two miniscule chips on the lowest part of the front bumper and he drives about 40 miles on the freeway each day.

I personally would not pay the exhorbitant prices they charge to put the 3M plastic on my car. I'd rather save the money and put it towards a professional "touch up" every couple years if I get a few rock chips.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SeattleRain
I think MOST (but of course not all) rock chips can be avoided by not following closely on the freeway.
Possible up there... but down in socal, not following closely on the fwy doesn't exist. haha

I have the clear bra...worth it? eh... glad to have it there when i hit something though.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
i never seen one installed I liked, so obvious that it's there, and have seen plenty that are turning yellow.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I just got it installed on my TW sport. I paid about $500 and if you're looking for it you can see the seam, but otherwise, nobody in my family even noticed it.

Mine covers the hood, front bumpers part of the side panels and the mirrors. I didn't get the lights because they wanted like $100 more.

I think I bought the yellow film fom you for the fogs . . . I'll let you know how that goes.

Anyway, this is my first NEW car and I'm hoping that this car stays around for a long time. If all goes well, I'll give it to my 9-yr old when she gets her license ! Every other car I've had was bought second hand and they ALL had dings on the hood that p!$$ed me off. So, I figured I'd give this a try!

I bit the bullet ($$) and found a reputable shop who has been around a long time and will stand behind the work. I'm really hoping it doesn't yellow in a year or two, but only time will tell.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
i decide not to have the bra, because it costs about the same to repair it later. i'd rather pay later than early. besides if i total the car, i'd rather not wasted that 500 bucks in the beginning.

say you had some minor damage and the clearbra did its job. now what? if you leave it on it's ugly. if you take it off - here goes that 500 bucks. to protect it you need another 500 bucks to cover it again, or risk damage to the paint. I'd rather be naked (I mean the car, w/o a bra) and take some risks w/ small paint damage. after all, it's just a car, an econo car. If it were a million dollar baby I wouldn't even drive it out of hte garage.

the last car i had was a lease camry and its total repair bill was only $400 before I returned the car, and I never washed it until the day before the inspection, after 3.5 yrs. i drove cross country (along hte east coast) many times and only a few chips and stuff.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I paid $350 for my front bumper, hood (24"), mirror caps, headlights, top of rear bumper (where the hatch opens) and the first 8" of the roof after the windshield. Have a look at the pic and see if you can spot the 3M?
Name:  Picture029.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  105.5 KB

Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
Possible up there... but down in socal, not following closely on the fwy doesn't exist. haha
No kidding!! When I visit So Cal I sometimes rent a car and the drivers on the freeways are crazy..... I've noticed how busy the highways are and people will be following close even at 80mph. Then if you leave extra space so you're not following close, someone will always just move into that space right in front of you- so it's a losing battle to maintain any distance from the car in front.

I haven't had that problem in Seattle yet... drivers here are usually pretty relaxed and most of them don't seem to be too agitated or in a big hurry :-) I'm sure our time will come though......

Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
The yellowing of the film may depend on the the brand. 3M and Venture Shield is supposed to be the best out there. I have Venture shield on my Fit (do a search in the forums and you'll see pics of it). Is it worth it? For me it is since I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, and I want it keep it looking new as long as I can. Besides these cars are notorious for having thin paint thats easily chipped.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
yup well worth it.... theres no doubt about it.

if you spend a lot of time on the roads, i would suggest it.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitscott
I think I bought the yellow film fom you for the fogs . . . I'll let you know how that goes.
you did, you got them from me! LOL

you should be receiving them anytime now.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I considered it, but since the car itself was only 20K new, I dont view the investment as worthy. I'd rather spend the money on other items.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
The devil is in the details

First off, I can agree that doing clear film is not for everyone. If you don't agonize over every scratch and rock chip on your car, it's probably not the right thing to do. However, when done with the right material, and more importantly, by the right installer, the results are pretty impressive.

In the Bay Area, Jeremy at Invisiguard is that person. I've had him do two cars for us: my new STI last Spring and the 09 Fit just yesterday (yes... that's right... Sunday). If you are further away than about 10 feet, you cannot see it at all, but more significantly, when the install is done really perfectly and the cut lines are placed so that they mesh with the lines of the car, they blend in to the extent that they do not stand out from any angle or position.

Tint and clear bra in South Bay? - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Jeremy is mobile... he comes to my place up in the Santa Cruz Mountains without complaint... and he just gets it done with no fuss at all. Finally, he does some really high end machinery... Ferrari, Porsche, you name it, but his prices are really reasonable... he did the front end, mirrors and lights/fogs (those suckers are huge AND expensive) on the Fit for $550... at my house... on a Sunday. To me, it's well worth it.

BTW, no yellowing, scratching or hazing on my Silver STI through a hot California Summer and my headlights don't show the pitting that I see on other STIs with similar mileage. If it needs to be redone if five years, I'll probably get it done if I want to keep the car for another 5.... it's just worth it to me.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
its definitely worth it but make sure to clean up the area under the bra before you (have it) installed. prep of the area should include using touchup on the rock chips, i think

Last edited by deedeedum; 06-28-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 AM
I had my front end (full bumper/full hood/full fenders/headlights/fog lamps) done a week after I bought the car.

Not a single rock chip.

I'll be getting it done for all my future new car purchases.

myke

Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Kails
I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the 3M bra (or whatever you call it).

It is worth the cost? Someone told me that it starts to yellow over time and was more of a pain than it was good. Just looking for another opinion.

Thanks
So worth it. Mind you I installed mine (3M brand) myself for a quarter of the price. I've had mine on my tsx and fit for over a year and still in perfect shape. Nobody ever knows its there and it has saved my front end thousands of times.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Here's what I went with instead: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...protector.html

Just another option - I don't mean to hijack this thread away from discussing clear films.

Quick Reply: 3M bra? worth it?