2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 AM
short shifter install

i just ordered my T1R short shifter and i am wondering how is the install? anyone have a write up for it yet?

Last edited by strmslvrfit; 12-31-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
I installed the H Fit short shifter in my car about 2 weeks ago. If you have the proper tools it is real easy.

Removing the console is a bit confusing at first, you have the two pop pins in the front on each side, then a bolt hidden under the carpet in the rear pocket. Then you have to pop out the front cup holder assembly, and the small cover that is located under the front of the hand brake handle. Then pull backwards and up.

Removing the shifter cables and shifter housing is pretty much self explanatory, its much easier to work on the shifter with the entire housing out of the car.

Good Luck

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
I installed the H Fit short shifter in my car about 2 weeks ago. If you have the proper tools it is real easy.

Removing the console is a bit confusing at first, you have the two pop pins in the front on each side, then a bolt hidden under the carpet in the rear pocket. Then you have to pop out the front cup holder assembly, and the small cover that is located under the front of the hand brake handle. Then pull backwards and up.

Removing the shifter cables and shifter housing is pretty much self explanatory, its much easier to work on the shifter with the entire housing out of the car.

Good Luck

oo thanks, i know how to take out the console already cuz i installed the center console. if its easy as that, then there should be no problem

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
im having trouble removing the shifter to install my t1r short shifter, anyone know how to remove it from that joint area??
Name:  IMG_3175.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  49.6 KB

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Pull the springs apart and then slide it out.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
This T1R unit... does it reduce throw only or also height?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
throw only i think

Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I beleive it's 15mm shorter than the stock shifter...Mine looks shorter anyways. I didn't take the time to compare them properly.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM
How is the Honda short-throw shifter? What about its height compared to stock?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Terrain.org
How is the Honda short-throw shifter? What about its height compared to stock?
What honda short throw shifter? There is no dealer option, only aftermarket.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM
i got my short shifter installed yesterday and it was a TOTAL PAIN, it took me 3 1/2 hours to finish, the easiest part is to take center console apart. it was sooooo hard to take the actual shifter out and replace it with the T1R shifter. but it was all worth it, the throws a much shorter. one thing tho is that have some grease handy if your doing this install, you need to grease up the joints. i didnt have any grease so my shifting is a lil bit stiff, but i kinda like it tho haha.

edit: it also did shorten the actual shifter too by 20 mm i believe

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
damn... i dunno if that's good for me...
i'm already having to stretch to reach the shifter because my legs are so long.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I was confusing H-Fit with Honda, sorry. The Mugen SST is supposed to be available through dealers some time. Seems to me the solution is to get the H-Fit, which is designed to use the current Fit shifting arm, and then get a bent or double-bent arm for the shifter to bring it back a bit. I'd also like to bring it up so that it's slightly above the armrest, so I can install the center console and have no problems shifting. All in good time, I suppose.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
i got my short shifter installed yesterday and it was a TOTAL PAIN, it took me 3 1/2 hours to finish, the easiest part is to take center console apart. it was sooooo hard to take the actual shifter out and replace it with the T1R shifter. but it was all worth it, the throws a much shorter. one thing tho is that have some grease handy if your doing this install, you need to grease up the joints. i didnt have any grease so my shifting is a lil bit stiff, but i kinda like it tho haha.

edit: it also did shorten the actual shifter too by 20 mm i believe

damn, that sucks man. I literally had my H-Fit installed start to finish in 20 minutes. Glad you like the shifter though!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Terrain.org
I was confusing H-Fit with Honda, sorry. The Mugen SST is supposed to be available through dealers some time. Seems to me the solution is to get the H-Fit, which is designed to use the current Fit shifting arm, and then get a bent or double-bent arm for the shifter to bring it back a bit. I'd also like to bring it up so that it's slightly above the armrest, so I can install the center console and have no problems shifting. All in good time, I suppose.
I highly recommend the H-Fit, it's a well built product, a great price point, and functions flawlessly. And as an added bonus it actually raises the shifter some(1/8")

The Mugen is just overpriced IMO, you are paying for the name.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
How is the feel of the H-Fit compared to stock?
I was originally looking at the T1R, but if it shortens the shifter itself, it's actually bad for me, since I have a hard time reaching for the shifter now (just doesn't feel natural because of how tall the seats are).
Damn my long legs...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
Damn my long legs...
LOL! In that case you might want to try the Skunk2 short shifter. It stays stock height but just shortens the throw. I think its the cheapest one out there too?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Retired Moderator
Nice.. glad you finally got it in...

Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Doesn't it look wierd with the double bent shifters?

Which shifter is best if I'm looking for very short throw but same/taller height?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Bump.

Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have had the T1R shifter and used it for a bit. Just got mine in today and it is STIFF, and you can really feel it engage the gears, like clicking into place. Very noticable difference, but I'm not sure how much I like it, and I've put short shifters on all of my vehicles.

Wondering if it will loosen up over time. I really like the feel of the stock shifter, it clicks in and out perfectly, probably some of the best shifting I've felt on a stock car. I realize there will be some resistance with the reduced shift throw, but mine requires a lot of effort to move now, even in neutral.

Quick Reply: short shifter install