2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP!!: Would you take it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
HELP!!: Would you take it?

just purchased a new GE8. Dealer didn't have the exact car I wanted so they told me they would have to drive it from a delearship 230 miles away...I insisted on a flat bed but they wouldn't pay for it. So.....

Option 1: Take it and drive it away today with 250 miles on it..not a scratch on the car. Just miles since they had to drive it from another dealership.

Option 2: Wait for them to get another new one in which they've researched would take months.

I know 250 in the long run is nothing. But I just don't want to pay for a "used" car. What would y o u do???

Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
i hate waiting for what i want... especially when i kno its possible to get... but thats just me (=

Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
250 miles is too much on a NEW car, so I would take option #2. After all, good things come to those who wait.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
uh take it, this is pretty much the norm when you want a car and the dealer can find it in their network.

My last Subaru had 250ish miles on it, from being driven from another dealer.

I did by my STi from a dealer in Florida though and paid out of pocket to have it trucked to VA, but had to wait for an entire truck load to be coming my way. It cost me around $500 bucks and 4 weeks wait.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
I've been waiting for ours since October 7. If there aren't any cars (and if you're sure of that) I'd take it. If you think there might be a closer vehicle, or if you'd just have to wait a week or two, I'd wait.

My dealer would not pay for a flatbed either. They drive them or you don't get them. Ask them who is going to drive it. If the driver is a retired person out to enjoy a few hours on the road and make a few bucks, why not. If the driver is the 18-year-old dropout who washes cars part-time, then I'd pass. No offense to car-washers--I was one myself. I would not have wanted me to deliver a new car back then either.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
250miles can mean rock chips...

how about you drive/fly out there, buy it, mask the frontend with painter's blue and
drive it back?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I've been waiting for ours since October 7. If there aren't any cars (and if you're sure of that) I'd take it. If you think there might be a closer vehicle, or if you'd just have to wait a week or two, I'd wait.

My dealer would not pay for a flatbed either. They drive them or you don't get them. Ask them who is going to drive it. If the driver is a retired person out to enjoy a few hours on the road and make a few bucks, why not. If the driver is the 18-year-old dropout who washes cars part-time, then I'd pass. No offense to car-washers--I was one myself. I would not have wanted me to deliver a new car back then either.
Usually they have retired guys on call to go pick up these cars. At least that's what the dealers around here do.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Come on, it's 250 miles. I have had my fit for 9 days and I have put 650 miles on it. Yes, I like to drive, lol. If you concerned about who is driving it, go get it yourself. If it were more miles, yeah I would wait but not with 250. I would see if they would drop the price $500 or so.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
i'd tell them to throw sum incentives to compensate like free window visors (their cost is like 49 bux), better apr (if ure financing) and just for general stuff that you'd prbly already bargain for!

But then again, 250 miles ain't that much (i'm already over 10k on my GE!) but i didn't get my car with virtually 000 miles on the odometer, but i paid out the bunghole for mine

Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Jesus christ, it's a Honda, not a supercar. My dealer found mine 350 miles away and I didn't mind one bit because it meant I got exactly the Fit that I wanted. Just make sure you meet the guy that is picking the car up. The driver that delivered mine was like 60, so I was pretty sure he wasn't banging it off the rev limiter.

If you want a car with no miles order one or pay for your own flatbed.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
If you're worried about the delievery guy beating on it, ask to go along with him. There are certain break-in proceedures, like not going above 60, that need to be followed to ensure longevity of the motor. Shoot, sign the paperwork, get dropped off and you drive it back. Road trip!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JPGC
Come on, it's 250 miles. I have had my fit for 9 days and I have put 650 miles on it. Yes, I like to drive, lol. If you concerned about who is driving it, go get it yourself. If it were more miles, yeah I would wait but not with 250. I would see if they would drop the price $500 or so.
Yeah that's what I was thinking its only 250 miles, if they throw a discount your way for expenses/time it's a good way to get the car. I would have done that, if that was an option instead of waiting 4 months.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
250 miles seems small really. Ask the dealer to toss in something you will use, like rubber floor mats, rear area cover, four oil changes (might take it down to three), something to even the deal. Something good would be a window tint, these cars have lots of glass and they do heat up the interior. Ask in a nicer way, "I (better "My wife") would feel better about the extra miles and unknown driver if we could get one of the above. You know to smooth things over".

If you are asking for something the dealer is normally selling for a higher mark up then they are more inclined to give it to you.

Remember they are having to pay someone to drive the 250 miles, add to it the bus to get the driver to the other dealer.

In the big picture, 250 is nothing as you will be well over a 1000 miles in a couple of weeks. Plenty to see and drive.

I had the dealer NOT put any advertising on my car, dealer decal or plate frame. Do this post negotiating on the 250 miles thing. Man I hate those things.

If your state has no front plate make certain they DO NOT mount the front plate bracket. Some have had damaged front areas due to the plate bracket being bolted on wrong. You will not notice this until you remove the plate bracket.

Last edited by kamakurakid; 01-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I'll chime in on this one. Only going on what was said, if it were me personally, I'd go to where it's at and get it from them instead of allowing anyone to drive it to you for that amount of miles. That way YOU can enjoy driving it back. Mine came from another dealership 35 miles away, so my car had about 40 miles on it when I bought it. I also have to agree with Baked. Having it brought to you via flatbed is going to cost you. The last time I did that with one of my new cars, it cost me an extra $400 for the 300 mile transport.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE8 L13A7
just purchased a new GE8. Dealer didn't have the exact car I wanted so they told me they would have to drive it from a delearship 230 miles away...I insisted on a flat bed but they wouldn't pay for it. So.....

Option 1: Take it and drive it away today with 250 miles on it..not a scratch on the car. Just miles since they had to drive it from another dealership.

Option 2: Wait for them to get another new one in which they've researched would take months.

I know 250 in the long run is nothing. But I just don't want to pay for a "used" car. What would y o u do???

If the driver was half as careful as usual the car has had the best beakin possible. Nice long first trip. I wouldn't worry about uit at all and I made numerous dealer-trade trips for a dealer. Probably 50 or 60.
(dealer pays S25 to 50 to the driver)Unless they sent the nerf ball go getter you have it good. ask who made the trip and what they thought of the car.Just meeting the driver will hint at how well he cared for the trip. Almost all are super good.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
i say jsut let them drive it ot you =p cuss when i got my 07 TW fit they have to pick it up somewhere i forgot =P but it was in two different kind of dealership when it got ot me it had 448 (if i can remember) miles on it but hey they broke it in a bit for me lol plus its not the miles that really matter it matters about having it ASAP =P

Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
you're all scaring me. I got mine with 289mi on it. I have no idea if the guy was powershifting at redline or anything. I can only hope he was doing 65-70mph for 90% of those miles on the highway and didn't ever stall or hurt the tranny/clutch........

and rock chips will happen regardless. If you're worried about it, rock the bra or painters tape or buy a new front bumper/lip every 20k miles...

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
If that is the car you want and you don't want to wait for months to have your car show up on the lot, I would agree to having them drive it just go over with a fine tooth comb before you take delivery to make sure it is scratch free and in good condition. Then I would ask the dealership to throw in free all weather mats and cargo cover something should be given to you to compensate you for the miles they are putting on your new car!

Cat :x

Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Inmyrem
I'll chime in on this one. Only going on what was said, if it were me personally, I'd go to where it's at and get it from them instead of allowing anyone to drive it to you for that amount of miles.
that's what i'd do too. just get it myself. that way you don't have to worry about some stranger driving your car for like 3-4 hrs. 250 miles isn't much of a drive in my opinion. but it depends i guess, some people feel like 25 miles is a long drive.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Tell them to throw in a nose mask for free, and make sure it's installed before the drive.

Quick Reply: HELP!!: Would you take it?