2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What transmission do you have in your Fit
Manaul
56.74%
Automatic
43.26%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm so hardcore I got a Base AT...

Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
auto here la traffic blows

Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I voted Manual. AT just doesn't feel right to me, I hate driving an AT. Even with the paddle shifters, as mentioned it feels like a video game.

basically it comes down to Personal Preference.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by WinterGE8
Sorry, but manual is garbage unless you are racing daily.
I wanted something more fun than to just brake & go.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i have the manaul, but the GE8 is AT since wife can't drive MT.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
i go through LA traffic... not too bad though.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
More of a connection to the car in what way? I guess paying attention to what gear you are in makes you love the car even more. . . psssh. I love my fit to death. Before I owned this car I owned a saturn AT, and before that I owned a 1979 Datsun 280zx MT. I have to say that MT keeps you more alert of the driving process, but AT is definitely better if you are just looking to cruise and appreciate the drive in my opinion. A lot of people who drive MT are looking to save a little money because AT's are more expensive. I personally will never go back to manual transmission unless I purchase a serious sports car (see: Nissan GT-R). If you have a manual fit then more power to you, but what purpose does it serve if you are not looking to race? I guess it gives you a closer connection LOL.
you certainly have a different view of what enjoying the drive is like. i disagree with you but i won't dismiss your opinion. i don't race my Fit but it surely serves its purpose. it's my economic, gas-sipping, daily driver with JDM hotness.

PS: unless you're talking about a BNR chassis GTR, they're only available with a sequential dual-clutch transmission made from glass. an accelerator pedal and a brake pedal is all you get in the driver's foot-well of the current GTR

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
My fiancee can drive stick, so we got MT.

There is a huge difference in feel when driving an AT and MT. An MT gives you precise throttle response. An automatic will always have a delay as it decides what gear it wants to be in. There's no guessing with MT. The car response directly and right away.
But... to each their own. Everyone has their own reason's for getting one over the other. No sense in bashing anyone else's choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
More of a connection to the car in what way? I guess paying attention to what gear you are in makes you love the car even more. . . psssh. I love my fit to death. Before I owned this car I owned a saturn AT, and before that I owned a 1979 Datsun 280zx MT. I have to say that MT keeps you more alert of the driving process, but AT is definitely better if you are just looking to cruise and appreciate the drive in my opinion. A lot of people who drive MT are looking to save a little money because AT's are more expensive. I personally will never go back to manual transmission unless I purchase a serious sports car (see: Nissan GT-R). If you have a manual fit then more power to you, but what purpose does it serve if you are not looking to race? I guess it gives you a closer connection LOL.
Well the main connection i can think of is mechanical. there's no torque converter slip. Also, the car requires more from you; it will not change its gear without input from the driver. To me, that's definitely more of a connection.

And yes, i know there are automatics with no torque converters, but i would call those "automated manuals".

Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Reason I decided on manual initially was because it had so little power an auto would be hard to pass people and get out of hairy situations. But after I test drove the car I really think that Honda made an amazing gearbox, so smooth, buttery, well defined gate.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GUESTO
I wanted something more fun than to just brake & go.
This thread is like that old beer commercial, where men come to blows over "Tastes great" and "Less filling".

We all chose the same car. But we may have chosen it for different reasons.

Meanwhile, back at the brewery and the house of honda, the makers are just laughing...

...with joy, because we're loving their products. As long as we are buying them, they'll make them.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
god, you people who think a manual fit in traffic is too hard to drive need to harden the fcuk up! the fits clutch is sooooo easy. my work truck is an auto. its nice to drive but it also has a v8. a little 1.5L four banger needs all the help it can get and if that means being able to have more control over the revs, than so be it. but come on. the clutch on the fit is softer than a down pillow. people who didnt get a manual are just trying to justify a bad choice.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
god, you people who think a manual fit in traffic is too hard to drive need to harden the fcuk up! the fits clutch is sooooo easy. my work truck is an auto. its nice to drive but it also has a v8. a little 1.5L four banger needs all the help it can get and if that means being able to have more control over the revs, than so be it. but come on. the clutch on the fit is softer than a down pillow. people who didnt get a manual are just trying to justify a bad choice.
Wow. That's out of line.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
im just sayin man, the world is full of whiny cry babies. dont be one of them.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Auto. And loving it!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
If there's any fun left in driving, it's in a manual :l

Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Auto for me. .. .

Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
If you have a manual fit then more power to you, but what purpose does it serve if you are not looking to race?
Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, more efficient (mpg & power), better throttle response, more control, and safer in bad weather. :shrug:

Now, gas mileage & maintenance are of course debatable depending on how the cars are driven, it's very possible for an auto to get better mileage & last a lot longer than a clutch & manual tranny - but it's never happened that way for me.

But in a car with as little power as the Fit has, the ~10hp you don't lose to the drivetrain makes a big difference. Getting by a slow truck in a short passing lane can be rather dicey in this car. Not to mention, if/when your battery dies, you can push start the car.

I drive in bumper to bumper traffic pretty frequently around where I live, travel in & around NYC at least once a month, and my daily commute is 2 miles of 12 stoplights . . . I didn't even consider an automatic. The bottom line for me is: I want control over what gear the car is in at all times (and the idea of feeling around the wheel for a paddle in the middle of a corner doesn't appeal to me).

I also agree with kelsodeez - the Fit clutch is one of the lightest I've ever felt. Pushing the clutch pedal takes less muscle than keeping my right foot off the accelerator . . .

Oh, and allow me to submit this: In heavy traffic, having to keep your foot on the brake to keep from rolling forward is just as annoying as a clutch.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Wow. That's out of line.
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
Well I dont think you are out of line with your points. When I buy a Maxima, I get the automatic, but lots of torque there and Nissan shifters arent as good as Hondas. I think on the GD's the manuals were about a second or more faster in the 1/4 mile (GE's would be about the same) Fact is a manual makes the most from a low torque motor like the Fit's.

2nd
The fit shifter IS excellent and clutch effort is about as low as it gets.

3rd "need to harden the F* up"
.....a little harsh on the surface, but good over all advice for North Americans who on average, tend to be a little lazy and over weight.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I want to know how a manual is any harder to drive in traffic than an automatic??

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic