2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

power steering noise?? help a noob out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
power steering noise?? help a noob out!

early morning going to work...turn the car on..car is parked...turn my steering wheel ALL THE WAY left to get out to the street...

and then this strange noises starts to happen. its never happened before. when driving there is no noise...only when it was parked and steering wheel is turned all the way.

btw. my car has 5000 miles on it and never been in maintience yet. car says its at 50% till oil change.

anyone know what this could be?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Avoid turning it all the way especially when first started and cold.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have NO idea. Are you putting pressure on the wheel while it's making the noise? Will the noise stop if you brake to stop and stop putting pressure on the steering wheel?

It's probably called "Power Steering Whine". I just Googled that, lots of info out there.
---

A more typical noise from a power-steering pump is a high-pitched whine, not a squeal. Usually, if the steering wheel is stationary, meaning that the steering rack is not "asking" for assistance from the high-pressure fluid from the pump, there's little or no noise. As the steering wheel is turned and the steering gear asks the pump for assistance, the pump might whine or howl a bit.

Squeal or whine is no good with power steering
---

That's one answer. Your car isn't old enough for a new pump or belts, I would think. Those are other common problems that would cause a whine. Try cranking the steering the other way tomorrow. See if the noise is there too.

I'd guess it is the above. Always look for the most common thing that it could be. Sort of like when you feel like you might be coming down with something, you think of a cold or the flu. You don't think you're suffering from ebola or kuru.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned
There are no power steering pumps or belts in our cars. Power steering is electric in all Fits- GD & GE.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I have NO idea. Are you putting pressure on the wheel while it's making the noise? Will the noise stop if you brake to stop and stop putting pressure on the steering wheel?

It's probably called "Power Steering Whine". I just Googled that, lots of info out there.
---

A more typical noise from a power-steering pump is a high-pitched whine, not a squeal. Usually, if the steering wheel is stationary, meaning that the steering rack is not "asking" for assistance from the high-pressure fluid from the pump, there's little or no noise. As the steering wheel is turned and the steering gear asks the pump for assistance, the pump might whine or howl a bit.

Squeal or whine is no good with power steering
---

That's one answer. Your car isn't old enough for a new pump or belts, I would think. Those are other common problems that would cause a whine. Try cranking the steering the other way tomorrow. See if the noise is there too.

I'd guess it is the above. Always look for the most common thing that it could be. Sort of like when you feel like you might be coming down with something, you think of a cold or the flu. You don't think you're suffering from ebola or kuru.
i'm not putting pressure on the steering wheel when turned all the way. and as i turn back straight.and release brakes and go..no noise.

and yes it was around 39 or 40 degrees out the first time...but later in the day afternoon the same day a little warmer...did the same.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
There are no power steering pumps or belts in our cars. Power steering is electric in all Fits- GD & GE.
oops, my bad!

I haven't even looked under the hood yet. I'm such a girl!

And don't get all BOLD on me, it makes me nervous.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 01-13-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added additional silliness
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned
oops, my bad!

I haven't even looked under the hood yet. I'm such a girl!
No prob. A lot of the "boys" miss that fact also.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by celph titled
i'm not putting pressure on the steering wheel when turned all the way. and as i turn back straight.and release brakes and go..no noise.

and yes it was around 39 or 40 degrees out the first time...but later in the day afternoon the same day a little warmer...did the same.
I'll be hanging on this thread, because now *I* want to know the answer. I have NO experience with these new-fangled cars.

Last few cars I had:
86 VW
75 Honda
72 Chevy

Having a heater AND a/c that work is like a miracle to me.

I was just trying to be helpful.

There was someone new that did not get any responses recently and they were kind of upset. I just didn't want you to be upset that it seemed like nobody had come into your thread.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I'll be hanging on this thread, because now *I* want to know the answer. I have NO experience with these new-fangled cars.

Last few cars I had:
86 VW
75 Honda
72 Chevy

Having a heater AND a/c that work is like a miracle to me.

There was someone new that did not get any responses recently and they were kind of upset. I just didn't want you to be upset that it seemed like nobody had come into your thread.
i really do appreciate all feedbacks. i have little knowledge of cars and every post / respones helps.

fitfreak.net is actually really responsive when it comes to posting and asking for help etc. the other people in the other forums are lame.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned
This hasn't been a common complaint in the GE owners group, and I don't have the noise. Assuming that you have stock wheels/tires/suspension, there shouldn't be any rubbing issues. I suggest that you visit the dealer service dept. for a warranty solution.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by celph titled
...and yes it was around 39 or 40 degrees out the first time...but later in the day afternoon the same day a little warmer...did the same.
I wasn't referring to the outside temp. Mechanical equipment works better when it reaches operating temp.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

And don't get all BOLD on me, it makes me nervous.
ROFL!

It is electric power steering, basically an on demand gear motor.

So it is sensing some torque on the steering wheel, and that gear motor is straining trying to go PAST the end of the rack or past the stop. Not really unlike the good hydraulic steering info Taffeta pointed out

So dont go hard pressure on the wheel at full lock, might be hard on the EPS.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
I've had that noise for awhile now; I haven’t had time to hit the dealer.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member

Last few cars I had:
86 VW

And you are helpful, pretty amazing considering as a chick you didnt grow up as a gear head. I had an 86 VW GTI, fun car!

If you want to know all about EPS, check out this link and video

2007 Grizzly 700 FI - Electric Power Steering (EPS)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I get the same whine also, I thought it was normal. Kind of sounds like my Mazda 3 with the electric steering.. I know in the mazda 3 they say is normal but I don't know about the fit. Is it normal?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
I wasn't referring to the outside temp. Mechanical equipment works better when it reaches operating temp.

UPDATE...

so it seems like if i havent drove the car for a while (few hours +) it seems to make that noise. but after the car is warmed up..or driven for a bit..there is no noise.

it has been cold outside as well..low 30s.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
the reason why your power steering system is making so much noise is because when you hold it at full lock and you hear that groaning noice the flow control valve inside the power steering pump (the flow control valve controls how much pressure your power steering system has, when no steering effort is applied like at idle or going straight down the road your pressure is at aprox 80-120 psi, when you apply load to the system, ei turning, your power steering system has roughly 200-700psi and at full lock or during parking manuvers the system presser is usually around 1200psi) and that noise you hear is the flow control valve seating and unseating the pressure relief valve ball inside the pump which relieves the pressure of that 1200psi so your system doesnt overload and explode, so when you hold the wheel at full lock when the car is cold you're trying to push thicker colder power steering fluid inside the tiny passages of the flow control valve and thats bad

Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by it's pronounced iVTEC
the reason why your power steering system is making so much noise is because when you hold it at full lock and you hear that groaning noice the flow control valve inside the power steering pump (the flow control valve controls how much pressure your power steering system has, when no steering effort is applied like at idle or going straight down the road your pressure is at aprox 80-120 psi, when you apply load to the system, ei turning, your power steering system has roughly 200-700psi and at full lock or during parking manuvers the system presser is usually around 1200psi) and that noise you hear is the flow control valve seating and unseating the pressure relief valve ball inside the pump which relieves the pressure of that 1200psi so your system doesnt overload and explode, so when you hold the wheel at full lock when the car is cold you're trying to push thicker colder power steering fluid inside the tiny passages of the flow control valve and thats bad
There is NO POWER STEERING PUMP on any Fit. It is an electric motor. No pump- no fluid- no control valve. Read the thread and read your own owner's manual.

See what I mean, Taffeta White???

Last edited by manxman; 01-14-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
right, had a moment of brain fade for a second you dont have to get mad jeez dude

it could be the electric motor but i'm not 100% on that

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by it's pronounced iVTEC
right, had a moment of brain fade for a second you dont have to get mad jeez dude

it could be the electric motor but i'm not 100% on that
Nobody is "mad". If you had read the thread, you wouldn't have jumped in at the end of it to post about non-existent equipment. If you read your owner's manual, you will be 100% on the electric power steering. I guess. Maybe not.

Quick Reply: power steering noise?? help a noob out!