2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM. Seriously? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
JDM. Seriously? Why?

So I was just reading the thread about the JDM Front end vs the USDM front end...I agree that USDM looks better. But I've always had a hard time explaining the "phenomenon" to non enthusiasts why we would shell out 50 bucks to change a hazard button, or spend 40 bucks for a badge that says "RS."

Why do we do it???? It's not like it makes our cars "better" per se`. We're SOOOO lucky that USDM GEs are still built in Suzuka!!!!!!!! I LOVEEEEE that. In fact, JUST that alone is enough for me to turn my head completely away from the civic.....it's just not the same if they were built in Ohio. With that said, it's technically already pretty stick'n JDM. Japanese technicians built your GE if you bought it here in the states....our GE may be not produced FOR the JDM, but it's pretty close.....

Please don't get me wrong. I want to import an S2000 from Japan one day...RHD <Droool> 2.0L F20C engine instead of our less RPMed F22C.
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on why JDM is better.....this should be good.

Last edited by L15A; 01-15-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Just like everyone says in the fe thread, the grass is greener on the other side. People just want to be different. That's kind of why I posted that thread. My da is jdm'ed out. But I agree on the 100% Japan built. I kind of turned away from the Civic for this reason too!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Well then you have to answer it yourself! RHD is JDM....why do you want RHD so bad?

It just depends on what it is to me....for instance. On my fit I have the JDM shift knob, because its aluminum and dosnt feel cheap like the one that came stock here. Other things I dont like though...like you noted the bumpers, Im not a fan of how short it looks so I prefer the USDM...also the red guage cluster looks meh to me. I hear our blue. Pretty much it just depends on what it is.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
I think that going JDM all the way is just a choice others take to strive to be the only (in other countries other than Japan) and best. I myself think that going full JDM is a waste of money. Yet, there are other things, like JDM tail lights and other junk that looks better than the USDM stuff. It is just a matter of preference.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
every car i sit in becomes JDM cause i was made over there.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
In my opinion, I've always liked the shorter front end of the JDM Honda's. I hated the Civic EP3 USDM front end and had no problem dumping it and getting the JDM front end. Making sure that it's safe is a totally different story though. The front rebar isn't up to US standards so adding reinforcement is up to the person doing the conversion.

The best part about doing the JDM front end conversion was that there was a LOT more choices for front end lips.

It's easy to go JDM nuts though and if you think about it too much you take the fun out of it. I went JDM nuts with the EP3 but I don't regret it at all (cept my drained bank account and the fact that someone else has the car now).

Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by kenchan
you have the single most rarest JDM mod.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
i jsut read the first sentence =P but yes i do love the USDM front ends better unless the JDM one has the spoon lip (correct me if im wrong) with that carbon fiber vent thing on the left side =P

Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
^ jdm one does have the spoon lip for gd1 bumpers

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
"you aways want what you cant have...." I have been around the jdm scean for years now. my crx isn't jdm at all and will never be, but i think the parts (front bumper, lights, .... and OHH the ACCESSORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) look better then any body kit.... well besides mugen hehehe still jdm though

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM
...that's awesome

Originally Posted by kenchan

Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 AM
being jdm used to mean having rare parts, but that is not always the case now. its harder to get these parts, and it kind of sets your car apart. most of the time its not something you can just swipe your cc and have at your front door. it takes time and patience to get. its just a trend, which will die down in a couple years.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
the reason i like jdm front/rear ends is because the car was engineered to look a certain way and when it is changed for a different market, it loses aesthetics. jdm conversions are just returning your car to its true form. the way it was intended to look.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM
I have always bought the JDM parts for the superior performance and R&D. The trendy people will die off but those who are performance minded know the value in JDM parts. Also, it almost always looks better.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
As others have said, JDM is a matter of personal opinion.
For me, sure, I wish my Integra had a JDM front end, but when it comes to RHD, not for me becuase it just doesnt seem very practical. I like certain JDM things on different Hondas and some USDM things on them as well.
A friend of mine had an A-Spec RSX that was completely JDM-ed out from the badging to the tails. He even had the $20 coin holder that held 50 cents, lol.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Overly simplified answer: JDM looks better

Just take a look at the front ends of the USDM 3rd gen Integra and it's Tarantula (spider) eyes or even the current gen Civic versus their JDM counterparts. I would say we got hosed.

I understand we get the watered-down versions because of safety and emissions regulations but DAMN... we're tired of eating the leftovers.

It's like asking us to be happy about eating our cereal with watered-down milk. $HIT... I want that 100% WHOLE milk with all the FAT.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
also the red guage cluster looks meh to me. I hear our blue. Pretty much it just depends on what it is.

how are these decisions made?

i hate the red.

i love the blue/violet.

i even saw a reviewer mocking the blue.
screw that!

the blue is awesome.

i was breaking my brother's balls over the fact his altima had boring-ass pale white lights on the gauges.

blue gauge lights, arm rest, map lights = best car ever

Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
jdm sunroof. :drool:

Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the 3rd gen integra jdm front ends is that then it looks like my 2nd gen integra, which 2nd gens are better. I have one of each though!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone have the ambient lights in the their GE8? I wonder how ricey it really is...or is it just "nice?"

Quick Reply: JDM. Seriously? Why?