2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dislikes and questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Dislikes and questions from new owner

Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of an 09 Fit LX AT and LOVE IT. The handling, responsiveness, fuel economy, cargo/seating flexibility, and the fun to drive factor. I could go on but I'm preaching to the choir here.

Having said that, I do have some minor dislikes and questions about them.

Door sills - never had a car that didn't come with them. Anyone bought the stainless steel ones from zetaproducts? Are there any other good quality but decent priced alternatives out there?

Key fob - a separate key and fob would have been nice. The small and oddly placed buttons are not very easy to press with mitts on. Also, dealer says additional key is almost $200!

Visors - small and does not work well on side windows. And no protection whatsoever in between the visors. What's the deal with that black dotted tint - it helps squat. I will apply some tint film when it warms up a bit. Any other solutions?

Gas cap - never had a car that didn't have a locking gas cap either. Not worried about gas-siphoning, but rather kids who think it's fun to mess up peoples' car by pouring stuff into their tanks. Any aftermarket solutions available?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Doesn't GE8 come with locking gas compartment? Or is this LX trim specific?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Koi
Doesn't GE8 come with locking gas compartment? Or is this LX trim specific?
Not sure but I don't think any of them lock. The Sport I saw didn't lock either.

Thought of one more thing:

Tires - the stock Dunlops are crap and spin out easily. The car is willing but the tires are not. Guess I'm stuck with them until I'm willing to swap them out.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Winnipeg in February and you're complaining about the stock Dunlop tires spinning? Do yourself a favor and get some winter tires.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM
none of the 09 fits have a locking gas cap although they are all weird as they push in and then pop out as they appear to be locking. many new owners find themself reading the manual at the gas station the first time filling up if they didnt already know LOL!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Winnipeg in February and you're complaining about the stock Dunlop tires spinning? Do yourself a favor and get some winter tires.
Well, I still have all-seasons on my other car and they don't spin as bad so it's a relative comparison.

BTW, most of Canada was out of winter tires for a good part of the winter since Quebec mandated them and Quebecers emptied stocks everywhere! Maybe next year . . .

Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual

We can't get winter tires here since they sent them all to Quebec.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eddie777
Not worried about gas-siphoning, but rather kids who think it's fun to mess up peoples' car by pouring stuff into their tanks.
Shouldn't worry about the gas-siphoning anyway, the tube is apparently really small and hoses cant fit. havnt tried it tho.

welcome to ff!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lala_lee
We can't get winter tires here since they sent them all to Quebec.
Great. Guess that's why I got mine. I had to wait for a month and a half for them though.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
The Fit doesn't have maplights. Given that my wife and I use sign language, we need those to communicate when driving at night. She was quite disappointed that the Fit (who rocked in almost all other categories) didn't have those maplights. Happily, our dealer has agreed to purchase them at his own expense (from another company) and then install them for us.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of an 09 Fit LX AT and LOVE IT. The handling, responsiveness, fuel economy, cargo/seating flexibility, and the fun to drive factor. I could go on but I'm preaching to the choir here.

Door sills - never had a car that didn't come with them. Anyone bought the stainless steel ones from zetaproducts? Are there any other good quality but decent priced alternatives out there?

Key fob - a separate key and fob would have been nice. The small and oddly placed buttons are not very easy to press with mitts on. Also, dealer says additional key is almost $200!

Visors - small and does not work well on side windows. And no protection whatsoever in between the visors. What's the deal with that black dotted tint - it helps squat. I will apply some tint film when it warms up a bit. Any other solutions?

Gas cap - never had a car that didn't have a locking gas cap either. Not worried about gas-siphoning, but rather kids who think it's fun to mess up peoples' car by pouring stuff into their tanks. Any aftermarket solutions available?
you can ge OEM door sills at College hills
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2009 Honda Fit Interior Accessories

the key fob your stuck with
visors your stuck with
both your stuck with until maybe a DIY
comes out or aftermarket.

Originally Posted by Domitan
The Fit doesn't have maplights. Given that my wife and I use sign language, we need those to communicate when driving at night. She was quite disappointed that the Fit (who rocked in almost all other categories) didn't have those maplights. Happily, our dealer has agreed to purchase them at his own expense (from another company) and then install them for us.

still don't understand why Honda didn't put map lights
in the canadian fits.
all us sport fits have them. not sure about the base.
i never seen one yet.

as for the gas cap there is a huge thread on it
already just do a search.
suposedly a Honda element locking gas cap works.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks niko.

The OEM door sills for the back seats look really tiny (and they're pretty pricey to boot) so I was looking at the zetaproducts ones. Anyone installed them?

I check out the Element gas cap. After all, I live by the motto "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you".

I agree, map lights would have been good too.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have the Zeta dood sills. I am happy with their quality, looks and installation. I recommend them. As for the price of keys, check around with other dealers, I got two (one with buttons, one without) for $90US. The one without the buttons was actually slightly more expensive than the one with, go figure.

Last edited by spreadhead; 02-19-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Domitan-

The 07 Honda Fit also does not have map lights already installed; therefore, I had to purchase them via jdmland.com website – for the same reason, communicating in sign language at night.

Not to digress, I was given $1500 discount since the dealership was unable to replace the radio with let say, navigation system – it was done, eventually by Crutchfield.

Damien

Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
it is the "Overpaid Marketing Guys" for each country that spec out all the models and they prolly get free Acura TL's or SUV's to drive.

I dont get the no map lights, arent the nights real long in Canada all winter?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I have the Zeta dood sills. I am happy with their quality, looks and installation. I recommend them. As for the price of keys, check around with other dealers, I got two (one with buttons, one without) for $90US. The one without the buttons was actually slightly more expensive than the one with, go figure.
Thanks spreadhead. I'll likely go with the zeta sills.

As for the extra key, one dealer wanted $250!!! 2nd dealer wanted $180. Both pretty pricey. W/o remote was only $20 cheaper. I'm all for remote and the immobolizer, but the real downside is the cost of extra/replacement keys.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
I dont get the no map lights, arent the nights real long in Canada all winter?
Where I am, winter solstice (~Dec 21) has 8 hrs of daylight - maybe 0830-1630. It gradually increases to about 16 hrs by summer solstice (~Jun 21), say 0530-2130. Right now, we have about 10.5 hrs.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by AP_ONE
none of the 09 fits have a locking gas cap although they are all weird as they push in and then pop out as they appear to be locking. many new owners find themself reading the manual at the gas station the first time filling up if they didnt already know LOL!
Actually, I believe they are locked. You can open it if drivers door is unlocked, but once car is locked, gas door is too. This is an assumption on my part, I have never verified it (just got mine this tuesday).

Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hi all,

The Element locking gas cap works fine (search 'locking gas cap"
If you get one make a tee-bar to assist you with putting the cap off and on. Tough otherwise. Yes thats posted too. (key bolted to 2'x4" x1/4" flat stock. The tee-bar has a 6" wide 'tee' on top of the 2"x4" bar to help turn the kety and cap.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure but I don't think any of them lock. The Sport I saw didn't lock either.

Thought of one more thing:

Tires - the stock Dunlops are crap and spin out easily. The car is willing but the tires are not. Guess I'm stuck with them until I'm willing to swap them out.

The Dunslop SP31's are cheap tires. The single best thing you can do to improve Fit is replace the tires with good hipo ones.

Quick Reply: Dislikes and questions from new owner