2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup Holder Mount for Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Cup Holder Mount for Sat Radio

I installed a Sirius Starmate 5 using the Aux and cig lighter. The radio sits in it's dock near the 2 center cup holders (gear shift), up against the dash panels. Not bad. However I would like to bring it up closer to view. Anyone have any experience with one of those cup holder mounts? I could use the suction cup mount that came with the radio if I could find a piece of glass or plastic to put in the bottom of the cup holder to give it the suction.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I have one from Scosche that I bought at Best Buy. It works well.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
..thanks

I was looking at that one. My only concern is the cup holder I'm looking at using (left) is close to the cig lighter thingy. Will this fit? Might have to take the cig lighter thingy out, drop in mount, then put the cig lighter thingy back...?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I have mine in the cupholder on the right. I tried the one on the left and it put the radio into the spot my knee hits.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Satchel
I have mine in the cupholder on the right. I tried the one on the left and it put the radio into the spot my knee hits.

Do you guys use a remote with the radios or do you work them by hand?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
I use the remote. it fits nicely in the center console slot by the rear cup holder.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
FWIW, I mounted my XM radio, similar to your Sirius, with a screw mount into the blank switches on the console on the left below the steering. This is where the off switch is for the Stability control, but I have a non-Nav, so there are simply three blank panels. I'm trying to get some pictures of my installation and will post them in an appropriately named thread. I use the FM modulator instead of wiring directly to the Aux-in.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VaJim
..thanks

I was looking at that one. My only concern is the cup holder I'm looking at using (left) is close to the cig lighter thingy. Will this fit? Might have to take the cig lighter thingy out, drop in mount, then put the cig lighter thingy back...?
I hard wired the XM radio cradle to the fuse box. Much nicer install that way.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I use the remote. it fits nicely in the center console slot by the rear cup holder.

I've used the remote, but I like to be able to see the song titles (display), signal bar, etc. Where it sits now is a bit low. The remote for the Starmate 5 (IMO) is small. The buttons are real small.

Looking forward to cup holder mount. I just remembered that the Starmate 5 is a 5 volt radio. I think I'll stay with the cig lighter connect.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
well I went to Best Buy and they had the Bracketron model. Similar to the other mentioned here. Didn,t really do what I wanted. It fit fine, but I was wanting the neck to bend like the original windshield mount that came with the radio. So now I'm back to my original thought and that is to try and find something that will fit into the cup holder that will allow me to use the windsheld mount....

Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VaJim
well I went to Best Buy and they had the Bracketron model. Similar to the other mentioned here. Didn,t really do what I wanted. It fit fine, but I was wanting the neck to bend like the original windshield mount that came with the radio. So now I'm back to my original thought and that is to try and find something that will fit into the cup holder that will allow me to use the windsheld mount....
Hmmm...mine bent just fine. I'll post some pics later today of my setup.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm...mine bent just fine. I'll post some pics later today of my setup.

..thanks

the one from Best Buy went in fine. But the neck wasn't flexible . It would swivel, but I wanted it so that I could bend or lean it toward me. Any pics would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Here's mine.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
thanks

where you have the tape on the neck...it didn't break did it? The one I had i don't think the neck had any 'give' in it.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Nice simple installation. Thanks for posting the pictures. Helps me plan when I can see what others have done.

Cheers.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a Pro Clip system for my accessories. (GPS, ipod, and aftermarket tire monitor). They make one for your radio and your Fit. Good product, but a little pricy. ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country

Old 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
No break in the neck...the tape is holding the power/antenna/aux wires in place.

The neck is flexible.

The piece behind the neck is one of those retractable aux-in cables. The antenna and power are routed up through the console under the cig lighter and to their respective homes.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
No break in the neck...the tape is holding the power/antenna/aux wires in place.

The neck is flexible.

The piece behind the neck is one of those retractable aux-in cables. The antenna and power are routed up through the console under the cig lighter and to their respective homes.

Thanks

I may have had a different model. I'm pretty certain the neck wouldn't bend. I went ahead and moved the radio from back of the cup holders to the front. Using some of that velcro stuff. Seems to work pretty good. At least now I can see the screen better. I'll keep my eye open for other options. Thanks again!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

The neck is flexible.

Satchel: Looks like you're right! I sent a note to the folks at Bracketron and ask if there are two versions? Here's their response:

Thank you for your interest.
There currently is only one version.
We get this question periodically, and the neck will bend.
The stiffness of the shaft is part of the built in design vibration dampening features.
It may require a little more force than you might initially be comfortable applying to the device, but it does bend and you won't break it.

Might take another look at this holder.

Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Cup Holder Mount for Sat Radio