2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumer reports cover....booyah

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Consumer reports cover....booyah

"Wondering which car brands are the all-around best? According to the Automaker Report Cards published in Consumer Reports', Annual Auto Issue, 4 of the top 5 brands are Japanese, with no US car makers making the list — even though there was a 4-way tie for 5th place. Ouch.
Consumer Reports' Top 5 All-Around Car Brands

• Honda
  • Subaru
  • Toyota
  • Mazda
  • (tie) Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Volkswagen, and BMW

While it may be somewhat disheartening not to see at least one US car-maker on the list, CR says that the lack of American brands doesn't mean that there aren't any quality American cars. For example, new models like the Ford Flex, F-150, Chevrolet Malibu, and Cadillac CTS have done well in CR's tests and rank near the top of their classes in its ratings.
Overall, though, the worst overall car manufacturer is Chrysler. "The company's poor performing products and sinking reliability results have kept all Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep badged vehicles off CR's Recommended list."
If you want to check out the full rankings, they're are available in the article "Who makes the best cars?" in the magazine on sale March 3 and at Find Product Reviews and Ratings from Consumer Reports (subscription). Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union, which also publishes Consumerist. (Yay!)"

Old 02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome!! I'm loving all these reminders that we made the right choice... Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
great thread.........and if I may say, well written and presented on your part

Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
great thread.........and if I may say, well written and presented on your part
Thanks, it sucks that Consumer Reports is still subscription based so you can't get all the facts but it's nice to see Honda at the top. Surpirisingly over the so called 'king of reliability' which is/was Toyota.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Not only is Honda more reliable overall than Toyota, but Honda easily bests Toyota in the quality of the interior controls feel, as in the HVAC, all the knobs and switches. Toyota's quality here feels cheap, like GM. It's not what it used to be.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tork
great thread.........and if i may say, well written and presented on your part
x2!---------

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Awesome!! I'm loving all these reminders that we made the right choice... Thanks for sharing!
Ditto!

Am I the only one that has thought about collecting all of the magazines that have a FIT on the cover?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Chrysler is really showing how they are worthy of a bailout, arn't they? They got bested by Suzuki by a lot!! You know, the company that made this little abortion...

I already knew Honda's were really good cars. I saw the near perfect marks in Consumer Reports on the Fit before I bought it. But this is just icing on the cake to know how good of a purchase I really made.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
we were this close to getting the 4 door yaris hatch but there's no room in the rear seats. fit ftw.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure why a pos subaru's in there. i hated mine... got rid of it.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Trogdor!
Ditto!

Am I the only one that has thought about collecting all of the magazines that have a FIT on the cover?
Already started doing just that!

Is there a magazine cover thread anywhere? So we can all be updated when there are new magazines with the FIT on the cover...or with the FIT featured inside?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Damn, where can I get a copy of this? I was in the store today and they only had the issue with Best & Worst 2009 SUVs on the cover...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skygunnerblue
Damn, where can I get a copy of this? I was in the store today and they only had the issue with Best & Worst 2009 SUVs on the cover...

i was at CVS yesterday and the had them.
so would any book store.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM
CBX
Nice post, and a +Rep for you!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CBX
Nice post, and a +Rep for you!
Thanks, coincidentally I saw this magazine on the shelf yesterday and perused it. Not allot of Fit information, more allot of information about many cars in general.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Not only is Honda more reliable overall than Toyota, but Honda easily bests Toyota in the quality of the interior controls feel, as in the HVAC, all the knobs and switches. Toyota's quality here feels cheap, like GM. It's not what it used to be.
I agree with all of the above, additionally and probably biggest difference imo is how a Honda drives compared to a Toyota. This is especially apparent with the Fit and Yaris. The Yaris is not fun, spirited, lively, toss in your own word. Honda's are more reqarding vehicles to drive hands down.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I drove a Yaris as a rental last year. Great gas milage but not much else. Granted it was a stripped down version but you would think that power locks would still be standard on a 4 door car. Nope, they were not. It got me where I needed to go, but it wasn't fun at all.

And the one thing I really cannot stand is the stupid guage cluster in the center of the dash. I hate that! I know that is so the building process is easier when making cars for left side drive vs. right side in other countries. But it sucks and I would rather pay more to get the controls on my side. I am so glad Honda didn't do this with the Fit.