2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen vs. 1st Gen Fit; Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
2nd Gen vs. 1st Gen Fit; Questions

Had a first gen Fit bought in May '06 and sold it about 2 years later. Very good car with a few quirks/problems that just irritated me: poor driver's seat (especially for long trips, no lumbar support), very firm ride, streaking/chattering front wipers, non-intermittent rear wiper, no armrest or dead pedal, & a *little* lacking of horsepower (esp on interstate travel).

Then, bought a '07 Accord sedan. Of course, this car is in a different league (when compared to the '07 Fit) - but the car is just blah - no personality and I hate sedans. The Fit was just a *fun* car to drive - the Accord, not so much. I miss the *fun factor*, utility, and the hatch of the Fit. So, I'm looking at the next gen Fits.

Questions (for those who have driven or owned both gens):

1. Horsepower: is there a noticeable difference between the two generations? Enough power on the highways?

2. Front wipers: any problems? (streaking/stuttering/chattering)

3. Rear wiper: intermittent now? (I saw a '09 recently during a rain here and could swear it was intermittent)

4. Driver's Seat: I've heard that this seat was *adopted* from the new gen Accord - any improvements? How's the lumbar support? Adequate on long trips?

5. Ride Quality: IMHO, the last gen ride (suspension) was extremely harsh (especially on long trips) - any improvements?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I think you need to go and test drive one. That would answer all your questions.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Yeah these threads always end bad. People will tell you whatever model they have is best. Drive both and decide for yourself.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
put 38K mi on an 07 and now have an 09.......so I can give you some info

1. The new extra low end torque is quite noticeable as is the little extra on top

2. No problem but but maybe because I use aquapel, (RainX on steroids)

3. I think the rear is intermittent LOL, but a cool feature is with the front wipers on, put it in reverse and the rear wiper cycles a couple of times

4. Being 6'2" I am a LOT more comfortable in the new one, noticeably more lumbar and the telescopic addition to the tilt helps a lot also. But sit in one and make sure it is right for you.

5. Ride is smoother more stable and quieter, however on a very bad road it is still bouncy.

Hope that helps

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 PM
dgs
As good as the 09 Fit is, since you sound very fickle I'm sure if you bought the 09 Fit you would find fault with that car and get rid of it in two years also.

You should be leasing your cars if you need a new one every two years.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
2. No problem but but maybe because I use aquapel, (RainX on steroids)
Aquapel FTW. Use it on my car and on every car I detail. Amazing stuff

Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Yeah these threads always end bad. People will tell you whatever model they have is best. Drive both and decide for yourself.
lol

GD3 FTW!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
point taken, but people are going to ask, what can you do?
I am just being extremely honest and objective with my answers.
If somebody comes along and f'***s up the thread, that is their problem
Loved my GD, love the GE more, both great cars you wont go wrong with either one!

[/drama] [/hate]

Last edited by Tork; 03-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
I appreciate all answers above...but I'm looking for those who have spent an *extended* amount of time in both gens (like Tork above) - not just for a 10 minute test drive.

But, can somebody answer question #3 definitively? (even the online owner's manual is not clear)

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by drfranklin
I appreciate all answers above...but I'm looking for those who have spent an *extended* amount of time in both gens (like Tork above) - not just for a 10 minute test drive.

But, can somebody answer question #3 definitively? (even the online owner's manual is not clear)

Simple, call local Honda dealer, ask them, you will know right away!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member

I checked taking my daughter to school.

activating rear wiper = two cycles, then goes to a fixed 4-5 second delay cycle.

Drive the car, because in many ways it is very close to 1st gen

Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
You're going to base the purchase of a car on whether or not it has an intermittent rear wiper...? Really?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
i drive both on a weekly basis and i do not see much a difference when it comes to power. to me both fits are still rather uncomfortable as well.... so yeah

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
To answer above:

The gen 1 Fit was a great car, with a few deficiencies that irritated the h3ll out of me. No, I'm not basing my purchase on a rear wiper - but the first gen rear wiper was basically useless in all but the heaviest rain.

Again, my main concerns with first gen Fit were: the front wipers, driver's seat, very harsh ride, and *slight* lack of horsepower. Seems like most everything has been addressed in gen 2.

Yes, I will go for a test drive. Just wanted input from those who have *owned* both generations.

Again, thanks to Tork and above for the answers.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
where can I get Aquapel? only see RainX at walmart which works decent.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
3. I think the rear is intermittent LOL, but a cool feature is with the front wipers on, put it in reverse and the rear wiper cycles a couple of times
I can't believe someone even thought about this much less actually engineered it into a car. Those Honda engineers are truly amazing.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
You're going to base the purchase of a car on whether or not it has an intermittent rear wiper...? Really?
No he had a list of things. I had a minute and didnt mind answering the OP's questions. Times are tough, might as well be as informed as possible when you are spending a sizable amount of $$$$$

Originally Posted by EUROz*JDMz
where can I get Aquapel? only see RainX at walmart which works decent.
Ebay.
I like rainx except after a while you will see a definite pattern where the wipers wear it off and yet it keeps building up in non wiped areas.
I still use rain x on side windows only

Last edited by Tork; 03-05-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
I order my aquapel from autogeek.net

I order it in cases, its that good. Plus I get my stuff next day since they're located in FL.

I never use neither of my wipers though. I hate when after a while you go to wash the car and water accumulates in parts where the wipers don't pass over as tork mentioned and looks horrible. If your going at least 40mph water just flies off.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 03-05-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I have auto sensing wipers on my VW R32 which is pretty cool, but I plan to Aquapel/RainX the windshield so I can leave the wipers off.

I have rainX'ed the Fit and it seems to work decently.

Funny how it was mentioned that Fit Rear wiper wipes a few times when in R. My R32 does the same thing, lol! I guess it's becoming a common thing.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Had a first gen Fit bought in May '06 and sold it about 2 years later. Very good car with a few quirks/problems that just irritated me: poor driver's seat (especially for long trips, no lumbar support), very firm ride, streaking/chattering front wipers, non-intermittent rear wiper, no armrest or dead pedal, & a *little* lacking of horsepower (esp on interstate travel).

Then, bought a '07 Accord sedan. Of course, this car is in a different league (when compared to the '07 Fit) - but the car is just blah - no personality and I hate sedans. The Fit was just a *fun* car to drive - the Accord, not so much. I miss the *fun factor*, utility, and the hatch of the Fit. So, I'm looking at the next gen Fits.

Questions (for those who have driven or owned both gens):

1. Horsepower: is there a noticeable difference between the two generations? Enough power on the highways?

2. Front wipers: any problems? (streaking/stuttering/chattering)

3. Rear wiper: intermittent now? (I saw a '09 recently during a rain here and could swear it was intermittent)

4. Driver's Seat: I've heard that this seat was *adopted* from the new gen Accord - any improvements? How's the lumbar support? Adequate on long trips?

5. Ride Quality: IMHO, the last gen ride (suspension) was extremely harsh (especially on long trips) - any improvements?

Thanks

I've driven 2 09's and half dozen 07/08's. (Not my own; I'm predjudiced.)
The 09 is heavier so not as fast. its bigger, too, but you need a ruler and caliper to tell the difference.. personally, I like the IP in the 08's better but thats too subjective. haven't seen much difference in cornering either.
Engine bay is more confined in 09 making it harder to work on though the difference is not a deal breaker. The suspension easier to fix on 08's; the 09 has encapsulated the sway bars also but Sport has both front and rear ones.
The 09 has one advantage: there's more room under the fenders if you look to drop reasonably. Still the favored street tire and wheel is 16x7/45 with 205/45x16 tires; 205/50x15 tires.on 15x7/45 wheels for competition by either, assuming you pay attention to tire and wheel selection. If you stick with stock height, 42 mm is lowest offset you can go. Under many SCCA rules I believe 5 mm each side is limit to track widening so 48 mm on 09 and 50 mm on 08's; or use 5 mm spacers to get track with stock wheels or equivalent aftermarket.
Though I drove only 40-50 miles couldn't tell the difference in seats nor in how it drove comparatively. Both are very attuned to driver commands and feedback to driver.
Perhaps the 09 rear shocks don't need strengthening as much as 08's; put 2-250 pounders in backseat and drag the bump stops. Woe if you're lowered.
Neither seemed to have different mpg.
That help?

Last edited by mahout; 03-05-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen vs. 1st Gen Fit; Questions