2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2007 S2000 to 2009 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I am still kicking the idea around, so if anyone has any words of wisdom feel free to chime in. Don't get me wrong, I love my S2000, but the stiff suspension and around town traffic is making me wish I had an auto with a softer suspension. Oh, and the one thing I wont really miss is the top down driving, never a big fan (if I was to keep the s2k I would get a hardtop). Either way I know it is my decision, but figure it wouldn't hurt to ask others opinions (especially those who have made a similar switch).

Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM
cough see sig, mugen cf hardtop, common treat yourself!

and the suspension in the fit is more rough then the ap1 with stiffer susoension so your ap2 will ride more soft then a fit sport lol :S

Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
How could you possibly get rid of your S2K especially a Formula RED!

I personally have a MY04 Silverstone Metallic with the red interior. Am keeping it for top down fun and warm weather driving (Its paid for!). Just got my 2009 Fit Sport 2 weeks ago and loving it.

It would take a very strong person to walk away from the S2k!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I actually made the switch that you are talking about. I had a nice 2006 S2000 that I loved, always enjoyed driving the car and had very little issues with it. The reason I changed is because I live in the city, so roads suck, and I was driving it more than I wanted to be. Not to mention, my insurance was killing me and I have a clean record.

I had a blue S2000 and switched up to a BSP Fit Sport w/ Nav and 5-speed manual. What I loved most about the S2000 was the transmission, and the fit is the same way. I was planning on tracking the S2000, but I am in sales and once I saw where the economy was going and how the prices were dropping on pre-owned cars/trade-ins, I had to get out while I could.

I do find myself missing the S2000, especially on warms days and on long drives, but I am saving a lot of money, enjoy driving the fit, have more usable technology in the fit (navigation, ipod, etc.), I can actually fit stuff in it (such as my bike), and I can fit people in it also.

The way I look at it, you can always get another fun car down the road when money isn't as tight. I would love to get another S2000, expecially since this is the last year for them, and specifically a CR model because of the removable hard top. Long and short of it all, I made the plunge and don't regret it one bit. It freed me up a lot to doing more things that I couldn't do with a 2 seated sports car, so if you go the same route I did, make one compromise and get a manual transmission, I guarantee you won't regret that.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you can only afford one car, i would definitely get the FitSport.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I've owned three s2000s and an E46 M3.
2001, 2004, and 2005 s2000s.

My thoughts: I have an 09 Fit Sport and I love it. It's NOT an S2000. How can you compare, the only similarity is the "H" on the front and back. The Fit was designed with a purpose and so was the s2000; just entirely opposites. The Fit is 110% awesome for what it was designed for: maximizing space, sipping fuel, and being efficient. The S2k is all about performance and reliability. Frankly, I'm surprised you have trouble with your S2k even with all those miles on it. Someone must've not taken good care of it? Anyway, Do I miss the S2000 even after three of them? Everyday man. I've driven the new GTR, an 08 M3, sat in ridiculous cars and though they're "faster," have more carbon fiber, and cost more,...to me, they're just not an S2000 Something about that car..it was my first love and I'll always love it. AP1 > Ap2 actually. 9,000 rpms is just something magical. I ALWAYS tell people about the s2k and awesome of a car it is. I LOVE that it's harsh, LOVE that it's intense, and LOVE that it's loud. It's WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE! AP2s are softer and more well mannered...NOT what I'm looking for.

It's up to you man. Ideally, you'd keep both. My dream garage is a Fit Sport on one side, and an S2k or NSX on the other. Same company, same underlying values when it comes to building cars....but completely opposite in design goals. LOVE IT.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by L15A
Frankly, I'm surprised you have trouble with your S2k even with all those miles on it. Someone must've not taken good care of it?
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not sure if that comment above was for me or not though, as my S2000 has under 10,000 miles and has been trouble free...

Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 AM
MY OPINION:I came from an 07 Civic Si sedan and i really miss that thing a lot. most importantly, the power. Now let's get this straight, the Si is no where by means a "fast" car but it was decent. So i guess it's safe to assume that the only thing you'd miss is the speed/power and the cool factor of having an S2K. I never regret getting a Fit though, and boy do i have plans for this bad boy....lol

Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lane03
I currently have a 2007 S2000 that I use as my daily driver, and I am contemplating replacing it with a 2009 Fit. I was wondering if anyone here happened to come from an s2000 and if so, do you regret switching to the Fit? I realize it will be much slower, but I am missing having space to actually carry things (and people). I also think I would get more enjoyment out of my S2000 if it was a weekend only car, but unfortunately I can't afford two vehicles at this point in my life. Thanks!

Been there, done that.
Except I kept my S2000 for weekend duty. There is a HUGE difference in performance but with a little work the Fit is a great workday car that gets 30 mpg weekdays and 35 mpg weekends driving fun. it is a ball to drive and doesn't require 4000 + rpm, well unless you are on track.
The 09 Sport suspension is the one to get and equip it with good performance tires and wheels. I prefer the 16x7/42 or 45 offset wheels with 205/45x16 tires.
If you lower, do it only an inch or so to avoid suspension geometry possibilities. Or 205/50x15 on 15/7/42-45 for max 'performance'. And that means 45 mm offset wheels.
Replace the rear shocks with AirLift shocks like Monroe 793 and sleeved or bushed lower shaft holes (check the suspension threads for details and good photos) to take care of the saggy rear end. Doesn't hurt on track either. If you get an 08 Sport just deactivate the front antisway bar and use Monroe Airlift or equal listed in suspension posts (maybe 813 but I'm old and my floppy disc is not so modern). Everything else ditto.
Good luck.
If you trade an S2000 on a new Fit you should have some money left to do do those other things.
cheers and good luck.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
my uncle has 2 s2000 and just got married so he is selling his supercharged s2000 and getting a 2009 fit sport. After he does i will let you know what he thinks.

Last edited by benmunger; 03-13-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I've had my 2003 Honda S2000 as a daily driver for close to three years now (it has nearly 106,000 miles now) and I'm trading it in for a new Fit next month. I like the GD models slightly better, but the price difference between the new and used models is pretty insignificant so I figure why not buy new. Anyway, after years of driving the S2000 every day, I just want something more practical. I cant tell you how many times I've had to change or completely cancel plans because I couldnt hold an extra passenger or fit something in the puny trunk. It will be nice not to have to pay for premium fuel anymore too. Yeah the power is nice, but I honestly dont drive it hard that much anymore.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2002 S2000 as a third car/garage queen. Meanwhile, my wife was happy to return an end of lease BMW 330i for the Fit. I find that the Fit is great fun. If you can't have the 255 hp of the Bimmer, or the 240 hp of the S2000, you can still have the fun of revving that tiny 4 cylinder engine in the Fit. Even with the automatic, the sound effects and response are quite entertaining. And for $$ comparisons, the 330i was a $42,000 car, and my 335i is a $50,000 car (leased before the economy totally tanked) - our Fit w/Nav and automatic is under $20,000.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm. maybe the SI sedan would suit you better? More space than the S2k and more power than the Fit? But I still love my Fit. My last car was a Nissan Xterra, and i was about to buy an S2k. But when i was test driving it, I looked back and just saw the trunk there, it made me feel very clostraphobic. LOL. And i couldnt imagine going from a SUV with all that room, and than getting a 2 seat convertible. So I bought the fit instead. =]

Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have both right now, but can understand your situation.
The question isn't whether or not if you'll have more fun because you're just setting yourself up for disapointment. The question should be whether if you need the space. For 2 years the S2000 was my daily before I sold it (only to buy another one). It was the biggest regret I have ever had selling a car. I got a long great with the space provided (just got a little creative at times). If you just think you need the space at this point in your life then keep the S2000 until you know you need it or you know that you want to keep two cars. Other options would be a WRX 265 wagon, 5 door GTI, or an EVO.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sketch
I have both right now, but can understand your situation.
The question isn't whether or not if you'll have more fun because you're just setting yourself up for disapointment. The question should be whether if you need the space. For 2 years the S2000 was my daily before I sold it (only to buy another one). It was the biggest regret I have ever had selling a car. I got a long great with the space provided (just got a little creative at times). If you just think you need the space at this point in your life then keep the S2000 until you know you need it or you know that you want to keep two cars. Other options would be a WRX 265 wagon, 5 door GTI, or an EVO.
Yeah you may want to consider getting a subie wagon or a mazda speed 3. That way you get space and power for a couple thousand more than a Fit.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I used to have an 05 RSX-S modded with Mugen parts that made it handle even better than an S2000. Of course the power and speed would be missed but not as much as you'd think. The way the Fit MT runs through the gears and sings its howling song will remind you of an S2000. To me, it's about 2/3 the sensation of my RSX.

That said, AnlDyxp_GD3's advice is a good one - Mazdaspeed 3 (if you can find one) or a Subie wagon may be another sensible option.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
^^^hey havent seen you around in a while. LOL =]

Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Lane03
Actually this is very common for people to switch from a costly impractical sports cars to a more practical cheaper car. It all depends on the person and what their life situation is to make this decision (yes every one wants a practical dd and a sports car for the weekend but is it realistic most of the time no). I went from an 01 Acura CL-S so I def. know what you are talking about when it comes to losing some power but gain some space. My CL of course is a coupe and the seats didn't fold down so I was always having trouble carrying people/larger items. Yes I miss the power sometimes but I love being able to haul stuff around (Just took my wife, two dogs and their dog cages for a road trip) and still have a fun little go kart to toss around on spirited driving days (Can't complain about the mpg either)

There was actually a thread/poll a while back about alot of subie wrx/sti owners switching to fits as well. You might be able to relate there as well. I believe there also might have been some s2k owners as well...Here is the thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...d-wrx-sti.html

Good luck on the decision!

I agree with this totally. It comes down to practically for the most part. And by the way im new here. Im soon to go through the change lol. My near 500hp evo 8 will be getting relpaced with a 09 taffeta white fit sport. I think i will miss the power up until im at the pump and not spending 45+ bucks on a fillup barly getting 15 mpg.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
keep in mind though, the cost of ownership (or cost per mile if you will) of an Si, EVO, WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, or even a GTI would be substantially higher than a Fit. Obviously the initial price will be more, but on top of that you're gonna spend alot more on fuel and insurance premiums as well.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by toyotabb
I agree with this totally. It comes down to practically for the most part. And by the way im new here. Im soon to go through the change lol. My near 500hp evo 8 will be getting relpaced with a 09 taffeta white fit sport. I think i will miss the power up until im at the pump and not spending 45+ bucks on a fillup barly getting 15 mpg.

Your going to love the fit... 16 bucks fills my car up when I have a 1/4 tank left.

Quick Reply: 2007 S2000 to 2009 Fit?