2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PRM Intake - GE Installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
PRM Intake - GE Installation DIY

A few members will soon receive the new GE PRM Intake; I got mine last night and thought I would snap a few photos to help ease installation.

I will monitor this thread and can help answer any questions in an effort to prevent several "PRM HELP!!! HELP!!!" redundant threads, and to prevent Gerry from getting inundated with calls as the kits arrive.

Gerry includes detailed installation instructions and a nice diagram which ships with the kit - the photos below just help map everything out.

**Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!**

Tools used:

10mm socket wrench – Removing bolts from stock intake, removing battery cables
Flathead screwdriver – tighten connectors
7/32" SAE size hex screw head – loosen stock intake
Pliers – loosen battery cage nuts
Flashlight - it helps

1 & 2 - Loosen these two nuts which hold the battery in place, and remove this assembly

3. Disconnect negative battery cable

4. Disconnect positive battery cable

5. Remove the battery and the large black plastic case the battery sits in.

Remove the two bolts holding in the stock intake – one of the bolt locations are shown below with x2 next to it.

Loosen the breather hose clamp – pull the stock breather hose off the stock intake, and set it aside. (see below)

Loosen the stock intake clamp - Use a 7/32" SAE size hex screw head, (this screw head also has hexagonal wrench flats around the outer edge. If you strip it, it's still possible to remove the stock intake, just takes a lot more effort. (see below)

1.This shows the second bolt you need to remove to pull out your stock intake.

2.These are the battery cables Gerry refers to in his documentation, un-clip these and move them to the left a couple inches to allow more room to drop in the PRM intake filter.

3.Here is where your stock MAF sensor should go.

4.This is where your new breather hose connects.

5.Be sure the filter is not hitting this metal brake reservoir bracket (as mentioned in Gerry’s documentation).

*ProTip - Refer to the photo above before installation: be sure your MAF connector is facing the interior of the car, along with the intake breather hose connection - also note the slight bend in the intake is closest to your intake manifold.

Finally, here is a quick video clip after my install (more later): YouTube - 2009 GE Honda Fit PRM Intake

Last edited by reako; 12-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
nice DIY. +1 Rep

Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Nice job with the DIY..

Last edited by JDM_DOHC_SiR; 03-29-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add a few things
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM
getting mine on tues. thanks for the write up! +1rep

Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Excellent DIY my friend. I will wait until May to see the responses from the T1R intake, then I will decide. Either way I go, I don't think I'll be dissapointed.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Nice dude, hope you really enjoying the intake! Im also sure this intake will yeild more gains then the t1r due to the fact that its less restrictive.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Question

Originally Posted by AP_ONE
Nice dude, hope you really enjoying the intake! Im also sure this intake will yeild more gains then the t1r due to the fact that its less restrictive.
Has this been proven yet..??...

Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Has this been proven yet..??...

haha, common, dont make me get into this here :P

They assure you in their prm thread that this intake will yeild most and best results of any intake that is put out for the ge8

All in all, you know it will do a bang on job, The aem, and fujita will certainly do well as well but only time will tell but big props have to go out To gerry for being the first to get a ge8 intake out on the market for us and others!

I do look forward to getting mine next week and installing it. Kinda sucks that I only have 400km's on my fit thought and have yet to really hammer on it till redliner but once installed, ill be sure to giver then!

I personally would love to back to back dyno this item but I dont want to at my expense for others to benifit But Ill talk to gerry on this more.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Good job on the install. This isn't a Cold Air Intake though is it? It looks like a short ram. The filter is located right next to the motor! I mean i understand that the engine compartment is really crammed but there should be SOME way to scoop up more cold air from underneath right?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by evanr821
Good job on the install. This isn't a Cold Air Intake though is it? It looks like a short ram. The filter is located right next to the motor! I mean i understand that the engine compartment is really crammed but there should be SOME way to scoop up more cold air from underneath right?
Umm... Look under your hood, there is a scoop that feeds forced cold air where the filter of the PRM is located. And the filter is nowhere near the engine dude...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
are there any dyno charts for the prm intake... really want to get one, also will this void my warranty on my 09 fit?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Theyre original intake had a 6whp gain. They claim this intake will make more whp and torque. Gerry from PRM is working on getting a before/after dyno of this new intake design.

Also this will void your warranty on any engine related problems. But it shouldnt take more than an hour to put the stock intake back to take your car in for repairs.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prm-...group-buy.html

Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks for the pics btw

+1 rep

Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Reako for the write up. Took me a total of 90mins for the installation from start to finish. Would have taken me the whole day otherwise.

+rep

Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh, forgot to link my mini review here.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
is it really necessary to remove the battery?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cfran55
is it really necessary to remove the battery?
Maybe not, can't remember. Check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry for reviving an old thread but this helped me greatly with installing my PRM. Sounds like a beast now. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
yes, this intake is loud as fook. i think its louder than my homemade short ram intake.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by beangrower
yes, this intake is loud as fook. i think its louder than my homemade short ram intake.
my stock hack job courtesy of Lyon sounds way better than the PRM.

to OP, nice DIY... I did manage to install the prm without removing the battery.

Quick Reply: PRM Intake - GE Installation DIY