2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly i dont feel so safe :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Don't despair. Look at the rest of the world...what they drive. US, not even Canada, is the only place in the world that worships the big car. But, with fuel prices on their inevitable rise, along with the development of other means of go-power for vehicles, that American big car stereotype may just be on its way into history.

No, i know, but i live in the US. I go up to Canada enough, and they're really catching on with the big car, as well. Mercedes and Land Rovers rule the road up there.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
It strikes me as odd that Adolph Hitler commissioned Ferdinand Porsche to create a "peoples car" and that various models of the original design out sold any other car for over 50 years before going out of production The second car most sold, was the Ford Model T, which was in production for 19 years.... People buy the luxury laden cruise ships that are loaded with all kinds of crap that distracts them from focussing on the task at hand, which is driving, because of the high pressure brain wash job that they are so obviously quick to buy into..... It hasn't always been this way.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
JUST AVOID RUNNING INTO A HONDA ACCORD, you'll be fine.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by djcrb9
It saddens me, though, and every day, i see people in their huge SUVs, driving alone and not hauling a thing.
They need them to haul their huge false sense of security and over-thought self-importance

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
the fit did better than the yaris. it really not that bad you would still survive.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by huisj
They need them to haul their huge false sense of security and over-thought self-importance
Generally speaking, that's the absolute truth.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Looking at the result.... this is a totally survivable crash. The car may be toast but it protected the driver.

Seriously, considering speed & size of the other sedan as well as angle of impact the Fit looks like it held up remarkably well.
Yes comparing to the Yaris, I think it's relatively survivable......

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
It's also the equivalent of a 80 MPH collision. It was stated more clearly in a USA Today article I read that this was each car doing 40, for a combined effective rate of 80 mph. I'd bet that the majority of accidents are not straight head-on, nor car-into-immovable-object at 80 mph.
Hmm, 40+40 does not equal 80 in this case!

Two identical cars colliding at 40 mph each is the same as one car crashing into a wall at 40 mph - both cars stop immediately from 40 mph just like if they hit a wall!
When the cars are of different sizes (or rather different weights!) the crash is "uneven" - for the small car the actual crash speed is higher and for the bigger car it is lower - the smaller car is pushed back (it's immediate speed reduction is from +40 to maybe -5 = 45 mph) while the bigger car's speed is only reduced from 40 to +5 = 35 mph.

A lot of words for a small point Anyway, I don't really see the surprise here since we all know (I hope) that bigger is better in a direct collision! I think it is much more interesting that a similar test of a 13 year old Volvo 945 collision with a Toyota Yaris fell out in favor of the Yaris!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind here that the IIHS is NOT a research agency. They are a shill for the auto insurance industry, and have and always have had an agenda behind their "research". In the past, this has included proposed bans on sportbikes and other self-serving ideas.

As a long time driver of small, nimble cars as well as 27 years and 250,000 miles on street bikes, I can tell you that the safest vehicle on the road is the one that can avoid the accident in the first place, driven by a driver who is paying attention.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
And like someone said, where are the Chevy Aveo/Malibu or Ford Focus/Fusion tests??

Looks like a bias and conspiracy.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
It's physics. Plain and simple. If you needed an article to tell you that a smaller object is not as safe as a larger object, then you need to head back to high school.

The article in USA today also said that fewer than 1% of all accidents are head on collisions. Read it.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
US has "higher" standards than the Jazz videos. Is it you that doesnt feel safe or the car that doesnt feel safe? This is straight from the autoblog "The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well. The Fit earned a GOOD rating in this test"

Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by ThomP
Hmm, 40+40 does not equal 80 in this case!

Two identical cars colliding at 40 mph each is the same as one car crashing into a wall at 40 mph - both cars stop immediately from 40 mph just like if they hit a wall!
Think kenetic energy. That is not the equivalent of hitting a wall at 40 mph. That is so far off.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Keep in mind here that the IIHS is NOT a research agency. They are a shill for the auto insurance industry, and have and always have had an agenda behind their "research". In the past, this has included proposed bans on sportbikes and other self-serving ideas.

As a long time driver of small, nimble cars as well as 27 years and 250,000 miles on street bikes, I can tell you that the safest vehicle on the road is the one that can avoid the accident in the first place, driven by a driver who is paying attention.
Perfect post... get to the source of the funding, and you'll better see the motivation behind the study.

As for your claim about more nimble vehicles, i agree totally. I've always felt safer in something like my Fit or my old GTI than i do in some rental SUVs i've had to get on trips.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, if you follow the money, you'll discover the truth.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
the link will explain for itself
IIHS finds sub-compacts fair poorly against mid-size sedans

if thats against a midsize car, what about an SUV???

Big squashes little, nothing new here. They didn't mention the added avoidance capability of small cars. Maybe they're justifying governments design criteria for their GM cars: 3 tons,space for 6, and 40 mpg. Goverment has screwed everything up and their car won't be any better.
For example, social security for you young'uns won't be happening because there's not enough money in the SS account. They aren't goung to tell yo that for decades Congress stuck SS collections in the general funds and robbedc most of it for 'political' purposes. Had they left it alone there're be plenty for your generation.
Highway funds account is another.
Welcome, comrades, to our change.

Last edited by mahout; 04-14-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg
tank doesnt have crumple zones or airbags.. lol
and gets terrible mileage! however, it can blow stuff up

Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by minnemike
I don't think this is anything we didn't already know.

Funny though, the timing of this seems fishy, with US automakers taking a huge identity hit this year. And why don't they include any other domestic smallish cars... Ford Fiesta anyone?

I smell a conspiracy (even though it really isn't saying anything false)!
yup, clearly someone with a lot of SUV's to unload.

A much more valid test would have been if they all ran into a stationary tree. Obviously, mass of vehicle would not be much help there.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
And like someone said, where are the Chevy Aveo/Malibu or Ford Focus/Fusion tests??

Looks like a bias and conspiracy.
Especially with the "Safer" Ford Hybrid alternative on hand for him to walk around and gloat about.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
No, i know, but i live in the US. I go up to Canada enough, and they're really catching on with the big car, as well. Mercedes and Land Rovers rule the road up there
Not really true Canadians on average purchase one size smaller vehicals then do Americans. Our top selling car is usually a Corolla, (the Mazda 3 took over last month). We do have our share of Hummers etc. however.

An interesting story: My In-laws who winter in SC went to look at a Ford Focus at a huge Ford dealer down south. Not only were they told they didn't have any, but the saleman said he had never even sold one. He did offer to try and find a brochure!

Quick Reply: Suddenly i dont feel so safe :(