2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to get scrathces out of 2 types of surfaces in the car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Trying to get scrathces out of 2 types of surfaces in the car!

Got a fit sport 07 auto. I friend of mine put their foot on my drivers side plastic surface and now theirs a light gash. How would I go about getting rid of this? I also have a few faint scratches by the window controls. Any ideas guys? Pics attached have no scratches, but show the surfaces I am talking about.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
bump!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM

don't rub too hard.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have scratches all over the black inner ring on my hvac knobs. horrible!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris

don't rub too hard.
Yeah it's a mild abrasive, be careful with that stuff.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't the 07 different than the pictures posted? First gen vs 2nd gen.

One way to get rid of a friend is to say goodbye and stop hanging around him (or her).

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sirocco
Got a fit sport 07 auto. I friend of mine put their foot on my drivers side plastic surface and now theirs a light gash...
What kind of a "friend" sticks his/her grubby feet on someone's dashboard?

Ask them if they think it's their living room, then frog their flippin' leg really hard for sticking it there in the first place! You may also want to ask them how they'd like it if you stuck your "stuff" down in whatever they're drinking!

Absolutely clueless, and classless at that!

Sorry for your dash.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry about your dash,happened to me too.

Magic erasers work well. So does Clorox soft scrub. However both will dull. To brighten up the area you can either use 303 protectant or a plastic polish.{some paint scratch removers will work,but whiten the area when dried needing rubbing alcohol to remove white residue}

If the scratch is deep there is one way {can be difficult to master} to lesson or remove the scratch. Bear in mind this works on only some plastics,NOT ALL. Thermoplastic material only will respond to this,thermosetting,will not. The dash plastic around climate controls, outer arm rest,glove box door,and lower door panel are thermoplastic material CAN be done,NOT anything else{knobs,dials,vents,radio facia,or gauge lenses}. It's an old detail trick for removing scratches/scuffs from some plastics. Get a propane torch. Low flame but not smoking or yellow flame ,wave the torch near the scratch. Not close enough to melt the plastic,and turn it shiney,or to far away to not do anything. Several quick passes will be needed. The plastic should never be extremely hot to touch after waving the torch. It takes practice,but works well to remove deep scratches. What it does is, melt fine "fuzz" of scratched area and reblend it back into surrounding area. I fixed a scratch on my glovebox door,left by my girlfriends purse buckle. You can't even see it,unless you look very closely. Of course I had plenty of experience at car detailing and plastic welding on kayaks & canoes. It can be done. Good Luck,and BTW smack your pig friend. He disrespects your car he probably does you too.

PaFitter

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
I have scratches all over the black inner ring on my hvac knobs. horrible!

I too get these. Armor All will cover it up like you wouldn't believe. Just gotta reapply it every few weeks.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I too get these. Armor All will cover it up like you wouldn't believe. Just gotta reapply it every few weeks.
Seriously, please dont recommend Armor All to anyone, ever. If you want to use a product that provides adequate UV protection with a nice matte shine and will not deteriorate your plastic like Armor All then I recommend Aerospace 303

303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant

Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Seriously, please dont recommend Armor All to anyone, ever. If you want to use a product that provides adequate UV protection with a nice matte shine and will not deteriorate your plastic like Armor All then I recommend Aerospace 303

303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Looks promising, but you know I'd still call that stuff Armor All too. It's kinda like koolaide or bandaide or NOS etc.