2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed swerving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
High Speed swerving?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but i took a long trip this past weekend and noticed that around 70mph and higher that the car tends to zig zag like there is a strong cross wind. I had some friends riding with me making fun of me being all over the road until i made one of them drive and prove it was the car. My wife took it to Florida a few weeks ago and said the same thing but it was windy and she thought it was just the wind. For my trip it was calm.

Has anyone else noticed this?? It sucks!! My 2007 Fit Sport didnt do this but my 2009 Fit Sport does.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
went to Berkeley from LA (6 hour drive) and I was averaging about 80mph.. was a pretty nice drive for the most part. Actually barely felt the wind when there were high wind hazard signs.. so I'm not experiencing it :x

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Burrellimages
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but i took a long trip this past weekend and noticed that around 70mph and higher that the car tends to zig zag like there is a strong cross wind. I had some friends riding with me making fun of me being all over the road until i made one of them drive and prove it was the car. My wife took it to Florida a few weeks ago and said the same thing but it was windy and she thought it was just the wind. For my trip it was calm.

Has anyone else noticed this?? It sucks!! My 2007 Fit Sport didnt do this but my 2009 Fit Sport does.

Suspect you have a tire or alignment or suspension problem. You'll need to check them.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
How would it be a tire, alignment or suspension problem? It's not all the time, its just random, like a sudden gust of wind hits the car, not back and forth constantly. It did it with me and 3 guys as well as with just my wife and 8 year old girl so that narrows out a weight issue since its two different situations.

Should i call my dealer?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i recommend you take it to the dealer and let them check the tires, alignment, and suspension components, etc. just to make sure nothings wrong down there.

I too felt the same way especially on windy days or if a SUV or some other large vehicle would pass me, even with passengers in the car. But after i switched to wider tires, I have not noticed this problem anymore. The 205 width tires feel A LOT safer and has improved my braking significantly.

So maybe trying on a wider tire would help your problem.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Please search before starting new threads. This topic has been discussed multiple times before.... there are multiple solutions to this problem...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-horrible.html

Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I had this same problem before I lowered my 09. It is no where near as bad after I lowered it. I did notice after I removed the rear tires to rotate my tires that at the factory ride height, the inner side of my tire tread on the rears was wearing much faster than the outside.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 AM
i did search before i started it. I looked up like 10 different terms that might be the same and found nothing. Even looked up "Wind", but didnt try to misspell it like "windes". LOL

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
How would it be a tire, alignment or suspension problem? It's not all the time, its just random, like a sudden gust of wind hits the car, not back and forth constantly. It did it with me and 3 guys as well as with just my wife and 8 year old girl so that narrows out a weight issue since its two different situations.

Should i call my dealer?

The trouble can be due to the relationship between the tire, suspension, or alignment with the road surface. Dips, uneven pavement, road surface, or crosswinds all put various inputs to vehicle direction that cause sudden moves not directed by the driver.
Such things really became problems with low profile or extra wide treads because those inputs became large enough to actually move the car direction without driver input. Many Fit owners with extra wide tires can tell you about their Fit following dips and unevenness of the road. Because of certain roads around here I know my Fit will dart about on certain sections of those roads. Even with the naked eye, they are quite uneven both laterally and axially.
If you are using Dunslop 31 or 37 tires the tire can supply those off-center inputs because the sidewalls are flexible enough to deform the tire sufficiently to swerve. Adding tire pressure can help.
Most likely though, its the road surface; do you happen to know if the roads you experienced this was very smooth and even as opposed to usual secondary roads not as smooth or even?
That being the case, even really proper alignment may not help; changing tires can change misdirection from road surface changes but again its not a guaranteed fix Unfortunately, Honda couldn't afford to put BMW suspensions in Fits so thats the way it is. A light car with broad side surfaces and basic suspension.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member

Should i call my dealer?

The road surface as it changes produces many inputs to vehicle direction; when they are large enough the vehicle will veer, swerve, or dart in the direction that has the most inputs regardless of driver input.
Fits with low profile or wide tread tires are most susceptible to those because the road has a larger or more direct path to act on.
Any time you travel on roads that are uneven or has dpis will produce those. Variable strong crosswinds have the same affect.
The Fit, being a light car with large side surfaces and basic suspension, can only minimize 'swerving' under those conditions with proper alignment, tire pressures, and good tires.
If you drive mostly on secondary type roads with those variable road surfaces you'll just have eo know that a Fit is not a BMW.
There are two roads here that I know to keep both hands firmly on the because my low profile and wide tread tires are going to want to follow the road as much as the path I want them to take.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Answer: Your sport '07 has the extra stabilizer antiswaybar suspension... your base '09 does not. Tires different as well?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
The only way to really make the Fit less suseptible to crosswinds is to stiffen suspension and lower the car which is like one of the same.

My friends TW 07 GD3 custom turbo has maybe 3 inches of ground clearance with amazing skunk2 coilovers but the ride is amazing and the cross wind issue is so diluted that it's no longer enough to manipulate the body or steering of the car AT ALL. you can just still hear that strong sideways wind noise occasionally. he also has a bumpsteer adjustment kit and particularly firm steering so his other mods may also be helping to prevent this.

Last edited by TekXoID; 04-28-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
California often grooves the pavement to help with water drainage & to reduce aquaplaning. I often find the Fit (& my Protege before that) "tramlining" on some of those sections of road...Caltrans can't do anything in a straight line!
The freeway nearest my house is like that, feels like the car is shimmying along the road. Once I hit a non grooved (or straighter grooved) area the shimmy goes away...

Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tell your friends to all sit gangsta style and keep the CG low. hahaha.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
i kinda have the same problem. feels sorta unstable. maybe a stiffer suspension would help??? haha, kinda irritating if you ask me.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
my new fit is a sport as well, both were/are sports.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Go the speed limit! Problem solved! You save gas too! AMAZING

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
kinda hard to when all of the traffic is running that fast. LOL

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
i get that here n there. its alright

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Ours does the same thing in crosswinds. Very sensitive and tiring. Headwind or tailwind is OK. Crosswind=all over the road. Look at my signature picture taken Sunday. Smooth road, no traffic, crosswind. Very tiring. Car is very sensitive to small steering corrections, too, so it is easy to overcorrect. Bridgestone tires on ours, I believe.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: High Speed swerving?