2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My FIT went airborne!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Parts to convert rear drum to rear disc brakes - GE8

Originally Posted by Mela_SC
Is there a chance to put rear disc brakes on the Fit instead of the drums?
You certainly can. Link to the thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ts-thread.html

Following is a list of required parts to do the JDM rear disc brake conversion:

( JDM Rear Disc Brakes )

1) Right/Left rear disc, P/N 42510-TFO-000
2) Right/Left rear hub assy, P/N 42200-TFO-000
3) Right rear caliper assy, P/N 43018-TFO-000
4) Left rear caliper assy, P/N 43019-TFO-000
5) Right rear sensor assy, P/N 57470-TFO-013
6) Left rear sensor assy, P/N 57475-TF0-003
7) Rear Trailing arm assy, P/N 42100-TFO-N05

Last edited by Benggolf; 05-20-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
4 wheel disc brakes vs discs and drums won't change the "rear lifting" described here.

I find it hard to believe that on a straight flat surface that aggressive braking would lift the rear off the ground. I think the limits of tire adhesion would prevent it.
did the op have slicks on the front tires?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
the brakes on the fit suck. period.
ive had the car fish-tail on me 2 or 3 times...

Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Shouldn't ABS and/or VSA prevent this?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Idk about Hondas ABS system.. On my 8th gen civic it works when it doesn't need too. IE braking gently over a speed bump but not when it needs to like hard braking on the highway. Most fits out there don't even have the VSA anyways

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Shouldn't ABS and/or VSA prevent this?
No, you can't defy physics.

This happens because of the weight being 65% in the front and that percentage is exponentially increased by the braking force which makes the actual weight load on the front much much higher, with the brakes floored it just takes a emergency swerve or serious bump to get the ass-end airborne.

Lamest part about the fit...but I'm not about to go relocate the battery etc. to try and balance it out, just be careful and it can be kept under control.

If you read my prior post--I'm just a tad scared what will happen next time I have to emergency stop AND swerve since that makes the car unstable rather quickly...

Last edited by TekXoID; 05-21-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
No, you can't defy physics.

This happens because of the weight being 65% in the front and that percentage is exponentially increased by the braking force which makes the actual weight load on the front much much higher, with the brakes floored it just takes a emergency swerve or serious bump to get the ass-end airborne.
Shouldn't the ABS release the front wheels when they lock up? Of course if the back wheels are off the ground they will lock up too until the ABS kicks in... It might be worth having the dealer look into the functionality of OP's ABS.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
quick solution: Completely redesign the car and put the engine in the back!

IF EVER!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Shouldn't the ABS release the front wheels when they lock up? Of course if the back wheels are off the ground they will lock up too until the ABS kicks in... It might be worth having the dealer look into the functionality of OP's ABS.
The front brakes don't have to lock up for the gravitational transfer of weight to the front end under hard braking to happen--although the brakes work extremely well and I've never had lockup under hard breaking.

However, that doesn't change the fact that there is less than 900lbs. of weight on the rear axle compared to 1600lbs.+ on the front, and thats standing still, add the transfer of weight caused by hard braking and it just takes all the weight away from the back-end, I don't know how you could possibly avoid it.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bryan-Guy-Status
quick solution: Completely redesign the car and put the engine in the back!

IF EVER!

that would be awesome! somebody do that!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I've never had my fit fishtail, wag, or have the rear-end come out on me when I had to brake hard. I've also never had any wheels come off the ground unless it involved a floor-jack.

I have my doubts about this happening regularly to people, but I could see it if there were a perfect-storm of conditions.

Rear discs would only transfer a little more weight towards the rear, but if the rear wheels aren't on the ground, they wouldn't help you stop any. Heh. I have noticed that my fit handles better with the rear seats flopped down, that transfers the weight closer to the ground, and a bit forward.

OP: I would have probably been scared that something broke when I came down. Heh.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks Benggolf. I'll be taking my Fit to Germany this year or next, and for Autobahn speed, disc brakes all around would be fine!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by awptickes
I have my doubts about this happening regularly to people, but I could see it if there were a perfect-storm of conditions.
Exactly, it only happens when you really have to put the brakes to the floor AND swerve, which I've only done a couple times in emergency situations in the year I've owned it. I've never had it happen just going straight, although I could imagine it happening on a downhill incline just going straight and slamming the brakes...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I suspect this issue is related to the extend nose that USDM Fits have, plus the fact that they removed the spare to keep the weight down. If you have an Auto Fit, that's even more weight over the front wheels. I bet they didn't change the front spring rates when they did all that => more weight transfer.

FWIW, I've never had the tail go light, but I've only had to brake hard enough for the ABS to come on once or twice. My car is the short nosed manual and has a full size spare wheel.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Rear End Lift???

I find it hard to believe that on a straight flat surface that aggressive braking would lift the rear off the ground. I think the limits of tire adhesion would prevent it.
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
did the op have slicks on the front tires?
On one of my over zealous runs at an AutoX event held at the Oakland Coliseum last year, I slammed on the brakes prior to entering a sharp decreasing radius right-hand turn at 45 mph. The Fit merely slid to a stop after I went off course. At that event, mrFroge's Fit was equipped with Hawk HP Plus brake pads (for aggressive braking), and shod with 225/50R15 Kumho Ecsta V710 tires (slicks on the front). The surface was smooth and clean. I experienced no rear end lift during that panic maneuver. BTW, I never saw turn marshals move so quickly!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rosswond
I suspect this issue is related to the extend nose that USDM Fits have, plus the fact that they removed the spare to keep the weight down. If you have an Auto Fit, that's even more weight over the front wheels. I bet they didn't change the front spring rates when they did all that => more weight transfer.
I think most USDM Fits have a spare, it's a donut. Mine came with one, I think the Canadian Fits don't have a spare, just the spare fix kit. If I remember reading correctly.
My Fit also didn't come with those great Jazz leather seats you got. What I would do for them. Maybe one day I will be able to import them over.

I also never had the problem of the rear lifting up, I have felt the car get light so to speak over potholes. Also I have noticed that after I hit 4000 miles the handling got much better. I got VSA but I've only seen it come on about 5 times 4 of which were while I was accelerating over bumpy roads.

It would be better I think to have rear discs, but so far my drums are ok. Maybe one day I will do that JDM trailing arm assembly swap, but I'm hoping before then for a Honda mod from other models. Not on my top priority.

Maybe steel brake cable lines and better pads will help.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I think most USDM Fits have a spare, it's a donut. Mine came with one, I think the Canadian Fits don't have a spare, just the spare fix kit. If I remember reading correctly...
Yes that's correct about the Canadian Fits except it's only the automatic that gets the "fix kit". The manual transmission Fits have the donut.

------------
Originally Posted by macbuddy
On one of my over zealous runs at an AutoX event held at the Oakland Coliseum last year, I slammed on the brakes prior to entering a sharp decreasing radius right-hand turn at 45 mph. The Fit merely slid to a stop after I went off course. At that event, mrFroge's Fit was equipped with Hawk HP Plus brake pads (for aggressive braking), and shod with 225/50R15 Kumho Ecsta V710 tires (slicks on the front). The surface was smooth and clean. I experienced no rear end lift during that panic maneuver. BTW, I never saw turn marshals move so quickly!
Thanks for posting. That confirms exactly what I suspected.

Last edited by Virtual; 05-22-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
Someone asked why the ABS did not kick in on th OP's car?
How does the ABS work on a Honda Fit? Does it measure the diffrence rolling speed on the wheels? Does it measure the rear versus the front wheel?

If you brake hard and have a good grip so both front wheels rolls at the same speed, or both stops, how should the ABS detect that the wheels are slippering?
Is it not possible that under very special conditions the ABS does not work, like all wheels rolling at same speed when braking? I know there is a slim chance for that happening, but it is possible, right?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
If in fact the rear end lifted during the panic stop then I would file a note to the NSTB to ensure they know about it. Your report along with others could identify a trend (if one exists). If it doesn't identify a trend then that is information too.... and you might want to have your brake system checked out. Most brake systems used to have a proportioning valve / system that distributes the braking force between the front and rear brakes (the front would always "do" almost all braking than the rear if this didn't exist) and keep the car stable during braking. I am new to the Fit and not sure if they have a proportioning valve / system or not or if it is controlled some other way (ABS?).........

Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Yes that's correct about the Canadian Fits except it's only the automatic that gets the "fix kit". The manual transmission Fits have the donut.
Thanks for the info. I knew I was forgetting something.

I forgot to mention I have a MT (I guess less weight in the front) w/ the VSA, and this never happened to me yet.

Quick Reply: My FIT went airborne!