2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First round of parts installed - My thoughts on mugen kit + other accessories

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
First round of parts installed - My thoughts on mugen kit + other accessories

In case some of you haven't been in the picture forum, here's my build thread. If you like this thread, or find it helpful. Please +rep

I thought it'd be best to share my reviews of some of the parts I've installed, and hopefully it will help some of you out on your future purchase decisions. I'll be doing this periodically after I install a bunch of stuff.

I don't think I'm the first (maybe I am?) to have the USDM mugen kit installed here....hmmm i really wonder if I'm the first. lol

The grill is pretty good. The paint matches perfectly, the gloss black center is awesome. It comes with a mugen badge ($65 by itself). There is doubled sided tape pre installed on the all the body pieces. The fitment is OK. All the holes and everything lines up, but the corners of the grill don't 100% match up with bumper. It's off a little bit. We did our best to set it so that the gap was the same on both sides. I think we're about .25" - .50" inch or so on both sides. I know it's not much, but it makes a difference to me. There's also a ton of room behind the grill now, but it's also open. I'd hate to have a rock fly into the engine bay... I'll probably put some mesh or something behind there. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Part of me says yes, part of me says no.

The front spoiler fits awesome. The paint is awesome, It's pretty much OEM quality. I don't really like the 3 fins in the front, but there's not much you can do with it. The front looks like a new civic now - can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. It looks better in person than pictures that's for sure. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Probably.

Side skirts were another straight forward install. Paint and fitment is awesome. Upon install, you need to drill into these metal tabs that run along the bottom of the car. They're a hard/thick metal, and it takes a while to make the holes. They don't have the "m3" twist in them like the OEM Sport skirts, and while it's a subtle change, I think they rock. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Yes

The rear install was interesting. The 2 chrome trim pieces are actually metal ducts where the exhaust exit. The driver side hole is tack welded shut, so there is an option to run dual exhaust and have them both coming out of the back. You also have the cut your OEM bumper for clearance of that duct, otherwise the bumper spoiler hits the bumper. Not a big deal to me, but to some that don't want to cut up their brand new bumper, it could be. Also, by installing this, you're kind of stuck to certain exhausts you can run. I mean you can modify any aftermarket exhaust, but it's not going to be a direct bolt on affair. I was looking forward to a slightly angled tip, but I like the rear spoiler so much, I can live without that. This could be a deal breaker to some though. I think it looks freaking awesome and the pictures do not do the kit justice. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Hell yes.

Floor mats - You have to have floor mats, right? It should have been included in the purchase of the car. The install is a little weird because you have to cut into your carpet. The holes should be there already. I didn't go with the mugen ones because I didn't know what color I'm going to do the interior, and I didn't know if the red would match. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Yes just because I need floor mats.

Mugen shift knob. Bad ass. Go out and get one now. lol Just a round knob with some weight to it. It feels awesome. Nice finish too. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Hell yes

Mugen rear view mirror cover - Honestly I don't know why I bought this, I just thought it would be kind of cool. Funny thing is, this is one my favorite purchases so far. Fit and finish is great, and it makes an impact when you're looking at the front of the car. It's subtle, but it's the details that count. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Hell yes

The rear cargo cover is pretty cool. You'd want one to cover your stuff up obvioiusly. I don't feel it was worth the 100 something dollars I paid for it, it's just a hard cover! It comes with some button headed screws that you screw into your interior to lock the fabric flap in place. I say screw that! Don't do it. Pop the clips off the inside and take off the the "flap". WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Sure why not

Mugen emblems - What in the world am I suppose to do with 3? The aero package comes with 3. The mugen fit shows the emblems on the fenders. Who does that? I decided to debadge the rear. I removed the fit emblem on the driver side and put a mugen emblem on the passenger side. I guess I'll just keep the other 2 incase someone decides to steal my emblem. WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? Probably not. No emblems on the rear (besides the H) looks awesome!

I still have the armrest to install, but I'm waiting on a short shifter before I do the install, since I'll be in that area of the car anyways. Overall, my advice, don't get the entire mugen package, by the parts separately. You don't need 3 emblems, and some may want to pass on the grill. The kit is up to you. The floor mats and cargo cover are just that and nothing else. The shift knob rocks - and so does the mirror cover.

If you have any questions please ask away. Hopefully this is helpful to someone

Last edited by danielg; 05-27-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM
nice i acutally got the mugen floor mats and oil cap

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
How do you like the floor mats? I was close to getting them, but I think I want to do a color that doesn't go with red...

Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 AM
they are nice, i havent installed them yet since i haven't cleaned the car but i will take pics once i do.

u should get the oil cap, i think it looks better than the regular mugen oil cap

Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Freaking sick! I can not wait to install all this on mine!!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmsneakerhead
they are nice, i havent installed them yet since i haven't cleaned the car but i will take pics once i do.

u should get the oil cap, i think it looks better than the regular mugen oil cap
I think I might have to do it. I'd like to see it installed first though.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bryan-Guy-Status
Freaking sick! I can not wait to install all this on mine!!
What did you get?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Seriously contemplating that rear Mugen Bumper. I'll wait and see how much my bonus is this year...

Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
It's awesome.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 AM
I haven't boughten anything! =[ haha

Does anyone know if these MUGEN parts will fit the base fit? I know the front end has to be converted to the sport front end but what about everything else?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have to see the rear bumper to know. I didn't think there was a difference in the rear from the base to the sport. Other than that, should be a go.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 AM
I didn't see anything different from the rear bumpers either!

I'll get this going eventually!

Maybe have the first Mugen Base Fit

;]

Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
ddddddooooooooooo iiiiiiiiitttttt

Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Nice Mugen Setup~ Here is what I think, either:

1) I can drive down to the Bay Area and we can do a photoshoot at Golden Gate Bridge
2) You can drive up to Vancouver and we can do a photoshoot at Lion's gate Bridge
3) We meet up somewhere in the middle (Portland??) and do a photoshoot~

Like your setup - Glad that Mugen finally do something for USDMs =)

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 AM
great thread.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Guinness
Nice Mugen Setup~ Here is what I think, either:

1) I can drive down to the Bay Area and we can do a photoshoot at Golden Gate Bridge
2) You can drive up to Vancouver and we can do a photoshoot at Lion's gate Bridge
3) We meet up somewhere in the middle (Portland??) and do a photoshoot~

Like your setup - Glad that Mugen finally do something for USDMs =)
I actually might be going to oregon soon to visit some family. They're near bend, and I don't know how far portland is away from there. But I'm down I'd like to wait until I'm slammed on nice wheels though.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
whats your plan suspension wise, air runner or coilovers?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Does the mugen grill have the mugen emblem built in to it or does it come separately for you to put on at your own discretion?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
whats your plan suspension wise, air runner or coilovers?
To be honest I'm lost. I wanted to order the suspension last week. My initial thoughts were to go coils, then go bags on the coils. The only suspension I really like is the a*star or Silk Roads, i think they go -75mm or -90mm in the front. But they're also around $1500 + a 8 week wait. I almost went with the HKS yesterday based on some pictures I saw, but the spec sheet says -45mm.

Right now i'm either going to order the D2 or just bag it right away on stock strtuts. I can't stand the wheel gap. And rather than wait for the what I really want to do, I just need to get rid of the gap, like yesterday!

When I do go air, I won't be doing Air Runner. After you study about air ride and all this stuff, the air runner stuff in IMO is expensive for kit. There are some really good things about air runner, dont get me wrong....but I can put together an air ride for a LOT less.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
Does the mugen grill have the mugen emblem built in to it or does it come separately for you to put on at your own discretion?
The emblem is already there

Quick Reply: First round of parts installed - My thoughts on mugen kit + other accessories