2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Edmund's shifter critique

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Edmund's shifter critique

This is the 2nd report on our Fits' shifter. They say it's lifeless and ridiculously light in effort. Doesn't sound like mine. Yours?

Please feel free to comment in the blog and tell them they may have a defective shifter (or not):

2009 Honda Fit Sport: Arcade Shifter | Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
our shifters are like butter..

short shifter addition fixes it though.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
This is the 2nd report on our Fits' shifter. They say it's lifeless and ridiculously light in effort. Doesn't sound like mine. Yours?

Please feel free to comment in the blog and tell them they may have a defective shifter (or not):

2009 Honda Fit Sport: Arcade Shifter | Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line
The one's I test drove did, that's why I bought the auto.

I figured as my DD, if the shifter was going to feel that disconnected, may as well have the option of not shifting at all. The clutch feel didn't help either.

Again nothing wrong with it, didn't have issues driving smoothly, rev hang wasn't too bad, etc. It just didn't do it for me (if you like it awesome, very glad you're happy because I am too). The shifters that were in my bugeye WRX and my 2000 Special Edition Miata however, those were nice...clutches too.

It's actually my first car that hasn't been a stick. Surprisingly enough, I don't regret the decision.

Last edited by pilosopo; 05-28-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting. Maybe just like some Fits seem to have brake or headlight issues, there seems to be a divide with the shifter too.

I know others chimed in and counterpointed saying their shifter isn't that light and it's full of feel like mine. (thanks the man upstairs)

For example, going to an S2000's shifter, mine is on par with that as far as effort.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Interesting. Maybe just like some Fits seem to have brake or headlight issues, there seems to be a divide with the shifter too.

I know others chimed in and counterpointed saying their shifter isn't that light and it's full of feel like mine. (thanks the man upstairs)

For example, going to an S2000's shifter, mine is on par with that as far as effort.
Maybe, I may have just been spoiled by my Miata's shifter that I traded in though.

That thing was a gem, slick, wristy motion, precise mechanical feel, perfectly spaced gates... just an absolute gem.

The clutch was feelsome and perfectly weighted as well.

The Fits I drove, were neither of those things, in fact, I felt so disappointed after test driving the cars initially (both base versions. 2 different dealerships) I questioned why I wanted one.

Thankfully I test drove a sport, and the paddle shifters, rear roll bar, and better wheel and tire package were exactly what the car needed. Arguably as fun to drive as my Miata, far more practical and economical, and much safer to boot.

But the shift feel and clutch take up in the cars I drove were, IMHO, crap, and very much like as described by the Edmund's tester. Loosy, goosy, with seemingly no defined gates, and felt like stirring pudding. Clutch take up happened in the last degree of pedal travel,and was so light I could've breathed on it to get it to work.

Again I had no problems driving the cars smoothly, but compared to the buttoned down chassis the clutch and shifter seemed at odds. My auto, when the torque converter is locked up, proved more responsive and postive in response, shifting, and demeanor.

Last edited by pilosopo; 05-28-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
axe
My Fit's shifter feels very direct and mechanical, you can feel it engaging through the gates. It isn't as connected as my Impreza's was, but I'd certainly say it has better feel than the average car, and I've driven dozens of manuals.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
i like the fit shifter feel. but i hate the stock knob

Old 05-28-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'll bet the Edmunds car is fine and they're being way too harsh. I think they had to write about something to make a story and they chose to trash the shifter for no good reason other than it's a very light shifter compared to everything else out there. I thought the shifter in our Mazda5 was light. After having driven the Fit for a month, the 5's shifter felt clunky and heavy.

Perhaps the Edmunds editor has some preconceived notion of what a shifter should feel like. A old Patrick Bedard column from years ago talked about how a Jaguar engineer tried to tell him how a a murderously stiff clutch was necessary to handle the massive torque the engine was spewing out. The argument didn't hold because Bedard had driven a 454 Corvette to the test site that had a lighter clutch.

The Fit shifts accurately, and yes, it's light, which some people may just not like. But I've driven (fortunately not owned) cars with impossible shifters, including a late 80s Dodge Shadow where you had to pray that you were in the correct gear, and a mid 90s Saturn that refused to slot into gear without a bang. In light of that, I'll keep my Fit, thank you very much.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
The fit's is light, but typical honda goodness. Mos Def not as bad as some others.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I have 3 Miatas and just bought the 09 Fit SPort and I love the Honda shifter...never have I felt such ease with a manual. All it needs is a heavy shift knob and possibly (just slightly) and short shift kit. My Miata's are more in line with the fun factor, but honestly - they are picking on the Fit's shifter?!

Edmunds is funny - they tend to praise shifters or quality that you find on a Dodge Charger or Ford Mustang or Pontiac Solstice...but when you have a billion dollar company like Honda provide a shifter that they are usually known for (the other being Mazda IMO), you just begin to wonder what they are smoking.

Let Edmunds not dictate your grin at the pumps.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
The difference between a base and sport shift knob makes it feel like a different car. I love the knob on my Dad's sport. Enough that I just bought a sport knob for my base.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Get a short shifter. Makes it feel much more solid and crisp.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
To add...to me a Civic Si's shift action is lifeless - it clunks into each slot, lighter than our Fit's with much less feel. Feels cheap. Same goes for its clutch feel.

Yet I don't hear much criticism of it. Go figure.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I thought the manual was too light as well. Of course, I was used to the short shifter in my del sol. I knew I was going to buy an auto anyway, so it didn't matter.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pilosopo
The shifters that were in my bugeye WRX and my 2000 Special Edition Miata however, those were nice...clutches too.
wow, i dont know about the miata cause ive yet to drive the 2000SE model, but the WRX bugeye? man, i had that car long time ago (2002 model) and that was pure example of a crappy 1970's linkage, crappy clutch.

and i too only drive MT cars mainly. the Fit's MT gearbox is fine and the clutch is light so even in heavy traffic it's no big deal. unless you're a car enthusiast, you're missing out on all the fun.

sometimes i wonder if Edmunds is becoming more like consumer reports.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
wow, i dont know about the miata cause ive yet to drive the 2000SE model, but the WRX bugeye? man, i had that car long time ago (2002 model) and that was pure example of a crappy 1970's linkage, crappy clutch.

and i too only drive MT cars mainly. the Fit's MT gearbox is fine and the clutch is light so even in heavy traffic it's no big deal. unless you're a car enthusiast, you're missing out on all the fun.

sometimes i wonder if Edmunds is becoming more like consumer reports.
LOL, I guess it shows just how subjective this stuff is huh? I got one of the first WRB sedans to hit SoCal, and my car was a bit weird. Took it right off the truck.

Didn't have the DRL's that they were supposed to have, and compared to my friends that was purchased a few months later, hoses and stuff were routed differently in the engine bay.

My car also had a much, much better tranny than his so who knows? Was faster too.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with the Fit's gearbox, my assesment of it is my own, and has no bearing on anyone else. I just personally didn't car for the one's I drove.

I'm definitely a car enthusiast just like most here, and it truly pained me that I really didn't like driving the stick. And as an enthusiast, I'm forever grateful to Honda that they were able to put such a wonderfully responsive automatic (for an automatic anyway, lol) gearbox into this little car that just about satisfies my fun to drive needs daily. Best slushbox I've ever used, though I guess that's because it's really only acting like one in first gear.

-edit- Do you like the shifter in your MINI? I drove my WRX to the dealer to test drive one when they came out, and I remember thinking how alike the two cars were for me in terms of shifting. Weird eh?

Last edited by pilosopo; 05-29-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree with the article.
After driving the fit, my mazda protege shifts felt sooo sporty.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Go figure. Motortrend disagrees completely:

"The five-speed manual (a five-speed auto with paddles is optional) works better than units in cars costing twice the price; it flicks through its gates with a light touch and, even better, clutch take-up is syrup-smooth"

2009 Honda Fit Sport - Quick Test - Motor Trend

Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pilosopo
Arguably as fun to drive as my Miata
Bite your tongue. I completely disagree with this statement being a current owner of a '96.

To keep this on track. The only thing I dislike is the rev hang in this car. I know, lift my foot off the gas earlier. I just hate it. If I could get rid of that, I'd love the car.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by cyergey
Bite your tongue. I completely disagree with this statement being a current owner of a '96.

To keep this on track. The only thing I dislike is the rev hang in this car. I know, lift my foot off the gas earlier. I just hate it. If I could get rid of that, I'd love the car.
I hated it at first too, then I researched it a little bit. It's to keep power even after the throttle plate snaps closed, by ensuring the AFR stays within limits. It really slows down shifting quite a bit, especially if I'm shifting right at the red-line.

But if you don't like it, I guess the throttle controllers might be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Edmund's shifter critique