2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get over 40mpg.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I just got 47 MPG with 40 PSI in my tires, not going over 65, and following trucks. Just take your time and relax and you'll be good.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
The one thing that I see that has not been mentioned is breaking as little as possible. That middle pedal is your worst enemy, every time you touch it you throw away kinetic energy. Learn to leave a buffer between you and the next guy in stop and go traffic and instead of starting and stopping you can just let the engine pull you along nice and slow.
+ use everything else said here; up the psi in your tires, stay under 55 mpg always, coast downhills in neutral, shut the car off at lights (if stopped for more than 7 seconds). This should easily get you over 40 mpg. After 3 months with my '09 Fit MT I am averaging 43 mpg without really trying too hard.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Help!!!

Okay, so I'm reading threads of people getting all these miles on a tank of gas in their Fits. I have an 09 Fit Sport w/automatic trans. I'm sad to report that as of this date and I've owned my Fit since January, I've yet to even got 350 miles on a tank of gas. My gas light normally comes on somewhere under 300. I'm just needing a little direction because I love my Fit but I miss the mileage that I used to get on my 2000 Accord.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by speedoholic
I just got 47 MPG with 40 PSI in my tires, not going over 65, and following trucks. Just take your time and relax and you'll be good.

Hope thats hand-calculated.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JustSoFit302
Okay, so I'm reading threads of people getting all these miles on a tank of gas in their Fits. I have an 09 Fit Sport w/automatic trans. I'm sad to report that as of this date and I've owned my Fit since January, I've yet to even got 350 miles on a tank of gas. My gas light normally comes on somewhere under 300. I'm just needing a little direction because I love my Fit but I miss the mileage that I used to get on my 2000 Accord.
You're not talking about miles per gallon, you're talking about miles per tankful. Fits supposedly only have 10.9 gallon gas tanks so you will not necessarily be able to drive a lot of miles between fillups. There are two things you can do if that is your goal.

1. "Hyperfill" the tank. For some reason, probably due to the fuel tank's location under the front seats, Fits have a lot more fuel capacity than advertised; it just takes a bit of patience to find it. Keep pumping, slowly, after the pump kicks off automatically. Some people watch the filler neck, and stop when they gas near the top; I just add 2 gallons more than the pump's stopping point. 2 extra gallons of gas in a modestly driven Fit should put you into the 400 mile range before you see that low fuel light.

2. Ignore the low fuel light and see how far you get. This would require you to either carry a spare gas canb all the time, which is not necessarily safe, or else have faith in friends to bring you gas when you run out. The point of the exercise would be to see if your low fuel light is coming on too early. For example, the low fuel light in our Jeep comes on when there is still 100 miles worth of fuel in the tank. That's ridiculous, and we've learned to ignore it and watch the trip odometer instead.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, Just a big thanks to everyone for all the advice. My last tank came out to 40.359mpg! I ran 40psi in the tires and did the slowest starts and it really worked.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
that sounds great.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I noticed some people recommended to keep filling the tank after the first click. I've heard its best to stop at the first click due to the gas expanding or the vapors or some hooplah like that. What's everyones thoughts on that? I would like to be able to go longer without filling up, but don't want any negative effects. Plus the more weight in fuel you add the worse mpg you will get. Hmm...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
get a scangauge 2

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Get an accurate, instant MPG display.

Best 'mod' I ever did to any of my cars.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
or get a ruckus thats what im going to do soon

Last edited by nxtfit_08; 06-26-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I noticed some people recommended to keep filling the tank after the first click. I've heard its best to stop at the first click due to the gas expanding or the vapors or some hooplah like that. What's everyones thoughts on that? I would like to be able to go longer without filling up, but don't want any negative effects. Plus the more weight in fuel you add the worse mpg you will get. Hmm...

Unless you overfill to flood the vapor trap there's no problem I always continue filling after initial click off to get to the next whole dollar on my cost.
Makes things so much easier for clerks. And not even going to overfill. Tries to maintain consistent refill too.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bi0hazrd
The one thing that I see that has not been mentioned is breaking as little as possible. That middle pedal is your worst enemy, every time you touch it you throw away kinetic energy. Learn to leave a buffer between you and the next guy in stop and go traffic and instead of starting and stopping you can just let the engine pull you along nice and slow.
+ use everything else said here; up the psi in your tires, stay under 55 mpg always, coast downhills in neutral, shut the car off at lights (if stopped for more than 7 seconds). This should easily get you over 40 mpg. After 3 months with my '09 Fit MT I am averaging 43 mpg without really trying too hard.

I try not to break at all but braking smoothly may help.
Sorry, just couldn't let it go. My teacher in me.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I stop personally at two clicks. It clicks once, then I squeeze the pump trigger again til it clicks. The gas cap and tank are self venting so vapors and pressure shouldn't be an issue. All you are doing if you keep filling up after several clicks is filling up the filler neck, which is fairly long on the 09 fits.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JPGC
I stop personally at two clicks. It clicks once, then I squeeze the pump trigger again til it clicks. The gas cap and tank are self venting so vapors and pressure shouldn't be an issue. All you are doing if you keep filling up after several clicks is filling up the filler neck, which is fairly long on the 09 fits.
I haven't seen anything from '09 owners yet, but '07 and '08 cars will hold at least 12 gallons, probably closer to 13. That's a whole lot more than just the filler neck! I suspect that the location of the tank under the front seats is at the root of it; perhaps the filler goes into the side of the tank instead of the top. One of these days I'm going to pop that cover off underneath the car and have a look.

Also, modern fuel systems are sealed. They do not vent anything at all to the atmosphere. There is a canister of activated charcoal somewhere in your car that captures fumes and recirculates them back into the fuel delivery system. Folks worry that "hyperfilling" Fits may harm that system; however despite the fact that quite a few people "hyperfill" their Fits, there have been exactly zero reports of damage.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
The only reason any of us that did the "fill to the brim" was to get accurate fill data that you can't get any other way. As a bonus most of us got record distance on a few fills like that with +60mpg.

It is not a great idea to make a habit of that as there is a check valve in the fill pipe that can be damaged with repeated events and also fuel in the evap canister will be trashed with raw fuel if that valve fails or leaks.

I keep the nozzle at 12:00 and stop filling after it shuts off the 1st time. It's a total wast to go one or two more clicks and serves no purpose.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ein
Synthetic will not help, it's still the same viscosity. Even using 0W-20, I doubt anyone will notice any difference.
Not true I just switched to Mobile 0-20 fuel saver went from 32 to 36 city milage havn't seen the effects on the freeway just yet don't travel on it to much

Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JustSoFit302
its your automatic transmission

Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danhenrie
Not true I just switched to Mobile 0-20 fuel saver went from 32 to 36 city milage havn't seen the effects on the freeway just yet don't travel on it to much

I agree with you. pumping losses are not the same as viscosity. Viscosity is based on the time it takes for a known volume to drain thru a specified orifice or the equivalent.
Pumping losses are dependent on the power required to move a specified quantity per unit time thru a specified length of 'pipe'
Synthetic oils requitre less hp to pump the same quanity per unit time thru the same 'pipe' compared to paraffin or naphthetic oils. Less hp loss, more mpg.And of course more hp at the drive wheels.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
did you get your 40 yet?

Quick Reply: Help me get over 40mpg.