2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level dropping fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Oil level dropping fast

Has anyone topped up their oil level before having to go for their first service. My Fit has about 3500 Miles on the clock and the oil level is just above the low level indicator on the dip stick.

I've been checking the oil level every now and then and I've noticed a consistent drop every time.

Just want to find out if guys have experienced the same thing?

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Although my oil level hardly dropped before my first oil change, it is not abnormal for the engine to burn a little oil during the break-in period while the piston rings are setting in.

Carefully top it off (do not overfill) and keep an eye on the oil level. Oil consumption should stabilize after about 5,000 Kms.

By the way, is yours a manual transmisson/ Do you downshift a lot?

Since your car is still under warranty, you might want to at least report your observations to the selling dealer.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Benggolf; 06-07-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, this is a topic I want to watch.... What kind of driving do you do???

Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
I find burning oil not common so far.

you may have a problem. keep an eye on it.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM
here is a question do you check before or after u turn the engine over cause if its after wait about one or two hours

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^actually, you only need to wait a few minutes after you turn off the engine. if you do check it right away it will read a little lower, but it's not gonna be inches of differences on the dipstick anyway.

haha are you checking the level so often that you're losing oil by pulling it up on the dipstick and removing it constantly? is it significantly lower or is it just like a millimeter lower on the dipstick? if it's stable in the correct range, don't worry about it fluctuating a millimeter here and there.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Benggolf
By the way, is yours a manual transmisson/ Do you downshift a lot?

Since your car is still under warranty, you might want to at least report your observations to the selling dealer.

Keep us posted.
I don't downshift at all, I only use my brakes to slow down, better to replace the brakes more often than wear out the gearbox.

Thanks, I took your advice and informed the dealership. Taking the car there tomorrow, they're going to top it up and open an observation report. They want me to check the oil level every 500Km and report it in the service book. Apparently this will be necessary if there is to be any warranty claim.

Originally Posted by bkrell
Hmmm, this is a topic I want to watch.... What kind of driving do you do???
I do mostly freeway traveling, traveling at about 120Kmph

Originally Posted by Blackout
here is a question do you check before or after u turn the engine over cause if its after wait about one or two hours

When I do check its always when the engine is cold and on a level surface.

Originally Posted by doctordoom
haha are you checking the level so often that you're losing oil by pulling it up on the dipstick and removing it constantly? is it significantly lower or is it just like a millimeter lower on the dipstick? if it's stable in the correct range, don't worry about it fluctuating a millimeter here and there.
Ha ha, yeah I wish that where the case, but since I've had the car, the level has dropped from about the 3/4 mark to now just above the low level mark, and that all in the space of 5500Km, not good.

Last edited by justdev; 06-08-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
That seems excessive to me. My oil level has dropped about 1/8 inch on the stick over 5,000 miles. Definitely, get the dealer involved now so there is a record of this problem should there be a warranty issue.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also check to make sure your car is flat when you're measuring.
i found different readings when i have the car parked upwards
and downwards my driveway.

i just check it in the morning once in a while before it's fired up.

i suppose if it's not too much hassle, check under the car to
see if your filter or plug area is not seeping with oil. you
dont even need to craw down there. just take your magnet
tool with a mirror.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
The constant freeway running may be to blame. My RSX Type S used to use oil when running on the highway a lot at higher speeds. It was never more than a litre every 5000 km's, and was pretty consistent when commuting a lot. If I spent a lot of time in the city the oil level wouldn't move. It was well within Honda's specs of oil loss, I was never really concerned.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
btw, here's wat the magnet tool with mirror looks like. you can find them at sears.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by McNabb
The constant freeway running may be to blame. My RSX Type S used to use oil when running on the highway a lot at higher speeds. It was never more than a litre every 5000 km's, and was pretty consistent when commuting a lot. If I spent a lot of time in the city the oil level wouldn't move. It was well within Honda's specs of oil loss, I was never really concerned.
I drive over 90% HWY and no noticeable lost of oil for me. I have close to 10K miles. There is something not right with his engine.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
ok my oil is low. i have about 3000 miles on mine. ive noticed another thing. my engine get really hot. i can hear the fans running just about all the time. my fit is a 09 sport with the paddle shifts. yes i do beat on the motor. do you think something might be wrong with the car?? let me know please!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Felixman
ive noticed another thing. my engine get really hot. i can hear the fans running just about all the time. my fit is a 09 sport with the paddle shifts. yes i do beat on the motor. do you think something might be wrong with the car?? let me know please!
haha your car runs hot because you beat on the motor. i don't know why your guys' cars are losing oil, but if it's not leaking then it's probably burning it off. in your case it may be because you are running your car so hard. first try changing your driving style and see if it helps.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justdev
Has anyone topped up their oil level before having to go for their first service. My Fit has about 3500 Miles on the clock and the oil level is just above the low level indicator on the dip stick.

I've been checking the oil level every now and then and I've noticed a consistent drop every time.

Just want to find out if guys have experienced the same thing?

Not at all. A quart loss in 3500 miles will be 'normal' to the dealer but we have yet to see a Fit with oil consumption problems.Check for leaks and for blue smoke out exhaust, particularly on coast down under closed throttlebut not idle rpm.. The latter is indicative of unsealed or damaged rings.Has the level been going sdown steadily or all at once ? Check with dealer and perhaps change oil anyway to see if it was the oil being too thin. Change filter too.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
over fills can cause excess usage.

How can over fills happen?

1. Checking it too soon after you shut off the car, I check mine in the morning, cold engine.

2. parking on non level ground when checking

sometimes helpful tip; only fill to the center of the 2 marks, not to the top mark on the dipstick.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
over fills can cause excess usage.

How can over fills happen?

1. Checking it too soon after you shut off the car, I check mine in the morning, cold engine.

2. parking on non level ground when checking

sometimes helpful tip; only fill to the center of the 2 marks, not to the top mark on the dipstick.

Good advice. And the best reason for filling to halfway between low and fiull 'marks' is giving more room for the pistons to push air back and forth, thus reducing the hp lost to pumping and leading to better mpg. That doesn't mean running levels below halfway between marks. And overfilling will lead to more serious damage than poor mpg.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Ok, so I took the car back to the dealer. They topped up the oil and said I should check the level every 500Km and note the consumption in my service book. If it continues to use oil and if it falls within the tolerated consumption of 1L per 1000Km then that’s acceptable to them, not me thou.

The service manager informed me that the lower and upper level marks represent about 900ml of oil, can anyone confirm that?

Last edited by justdev; 06-10-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justdev
Ok, so I took the car back to the dealer. They topped up the oil and said I should check the level every 500Km and note the consumption in my service book. If it continues to use oil and if it falls within the tolerated consumption of 1L per 1000Km then that’s acceptable to them, not me thou.

The service manager informed me that the lower and upper level marks represent about 900ml of oil, can anyone confirm that?

I'd check with Honda about the oil use; a quart in 600 miles is entirely too much loss ( 1 liter per 1000 kilometers) for safety. Indeed everyone should check their oil at least once per week but that much oil loss is close to having a lubrication problem due to non oil pickup that its really a serious consuideration. And needs determinig just why the oil is dropping. A bad seal for example could lead to immediate loss of oil and castastrophic engine damage.
PS We have verified on many occasions that the upper and lower marks are close to 1 quart, or about 900 ml.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Today was Wash Day, when I also check over the car for any issues. Just hit 5k (miles) and the oil was down just under a qt. Maintenance Minder says I have 60% of oil life left. This is the first car (out of the last 3- a Toyota & 2 Mazdas) that I have had any consumption at all. I will be watching this....

Quick Reply: Oil level dropping fast