2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with fit vs mazda 3 (2010)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Talking Help with fit vs mazda 3 (2010)

Hello all,
I am new to the forums, and I am here to ask for your help and opinions. I'm a college student who needs a car for just getting around to my volunteer work and test prep courses, and also for the occasional commute back home.
I've been shopping around the dealers here and my head is just aching from all the sales people i've seen already.
Since all the Mazda dealers here have virtually no more 09 mazda 3's, i'm ultimately comparing the mazda 3 2010 "s" Automatic version with the 09 Fit Sport (Automatic). I like both cars, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
If anyone who has driven or own these cars can give me some helpful and insightful opinions that would be great. I have test driven both of them, but i'm still very indecisive.

Thanks very much!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
I remember comparing the Mazda 3 to the Honda Fit when I was shopping around. I chose the Fit because it was better on gas, better for cargo configurations and was a little cheaper head to head. Little things I liked about the Fit that I can't remember if the Mazda had or not were things like the leather steering wheel, Ipod/usb radio and the active head restraints.

After 6 months of owning a Fit I'm still happy with my decision. Good luck making yours.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
You're in college and looking to buy a new car? I don't know your situation but you've got to be in enough debt as it is. The Fit is an awesome car, but dollar per dollar you may be better served by a used vehicle with a low resale value I.E. 98-03 Ford Zx2 MT - Now there is a fun car on a shoestring budget. Also, it goes without saying, you should be buying from a private party not a stealership. Hondas are great new cars but IMO a terrible rip off used due to inflated resale values. All this assumes you know how to turn a wrench of course. If you can't do your own repairs on a used vehicle then get the fit.

I really apologize if I come off rude. You should NEVER buy a new car unless you really love the car you are thinking about buying, because you are throwing away a couple grand in depreciation just to have the joy of driving that first mile off the lot. Even then, you shouldn't throw away a couple grand if your net worth is still in the red. People do graduate college and work at Starbucks for a few years. Just trying to set realistic expectations.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 06-11-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I used to like the mazda 3's. But the front bumper on the new one is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Dorkiest looking smile ever.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I used to like the mazda 3's. But the front bumper on the new one is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Dorkiest looking smile ever.
Right. I mean are they serious with that thing? I used to like them!

I directly compared the 09 Mazda3 5door to the 09 Honda Fit Sport as well. I was leaning towards the Fit when I arrived for my Mazda3 test drive, and I mentioned that fact to the salesperson right off the bat. The dealer seemed to laugh off the Fit, like it was NO comparison. The Mazda was a great car, it was just more than I needed, and it was missing that unique, forward thinking, versatile personality that the Fit has.

The dealer quickly realized that he was actually losing a sale to the Fit! Too bad, the Mazda3 just did not strike the right chords with me after my experience with the 09 Fit. I think I left that salesperson with his head spinning as I rambled off all the features the Fit had over the Mazda3...flat load floor, more versatile/useful interior/better sound system options/higher mpg/lower cost. Plus, the 3 just didn't seem as solid as I thought it should, there was a bit more engine noise in the cabin than I was expecting, even just cruising out of the parking lot...just another reason I chose the Fit, it seems they have a pretty good NVH team over there at Honda Japan!

Sorry for ramblin' man! Just my .02

Last edited by reako; 06-11-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I agree with everything Reako said. I too looked at 3 but just didn't like the exterior styling on the 3 as well (I personally don't like the side profile as well as the ugly smile front) It just reminded me too much of a matrix/vibe.
I like the old 3's body style more but to each his own. Price/Versatility/Features/MPG Fit kills the 3...no question about it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I drove the 2009 Fit and Mazda 3 2009 and 2010 for comparisons about a month ago.

IMHO the 2009 Mazda3 is a better car than the 2010 Mazda3. I didn't care for the automatic but the manual 2009 Mazda3 is a superior car to the Fit in terms of styling, handling and performance. I found the speedometer difficult to see and the road noise seemed to be louder on the Mazdas over the Fit. Consumer report shows that the Mazda3 is also (a surprise to me) an extremely reliable (prediction) about the same as the Fit. I didn't think the 2010 Mazda3 was as good as the Fit.

What made my decision for me was the gas mileage. I drive about 90 miles a day and the mileage on the Mazda3 (epecially for a small car) is dismal. I have a friend that just bought a 2009 Mazda3.... the best he has done was 30 mpg. I routinely get 37 mpg on highway driving with the Fit. When gas gets back up to $4 /gallon again..... it won't take long to figure the savings by buying the Fit.

If I was buying a car for just around town with low miles per year then I would have probably bought the Mazda3. I went the last day of April (without really thinking about it) and the Mazda dealer tried to make me a hell of a deal for a loaded 2009 to make his sales quota. It would have been quite a bit cheaper than my Fit. It had an automatic and I didn't like the color either. If I needed a car for the wife I would have bought it.... she loved it.

I would take the Fit over the 2010 Mazda3. It didn't feel special at all. Maybe it was because I had just compared it to the 2009.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13

i can't agree more.

plus the rear looks like a mutated honda. mazda needs to hire better industrial designers.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dave2009

What made my decision for me was the gas mileage. I drive about 90 miles a day and the mileage on the Mazda3 (epecially for a small car) is dismal. I have a friend that just bought a 2009 Mazda3.... the best he has done was 30 mpg. I routinely get 37 mpg on highway driving with the Fit. When gas gets back up to $4 /gallon again..... it won't take long to figure the savings by buying the Fit.

That is what I always heard, the supposedly Ford based 4 cylinder is not good for MPG. 2010 could be improved, that I do not know.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
That is what I always heard, the supposedly Ford based 4 cylinder is not good for MPG. 2010 could be improved, that I do not know.
Its the same mpg for 2010 model according to MT.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Right. I mean are they serious with that thing? I used to like them!

I directly compared the 09 Mazda3 5door to the 09 Honda Fit Sport as well. I was leaning towards the Fit when I arrived for my Mazda3 test drive, and I mentioned that fact to the salesperson right off the bat. The dealer seemed to laugh off the Fit, like it was NO comparison. The Mazda was a great car, it was just more than I needed, and it was missing that unique, forward thinking, versatile personality that the Fit has.

The dealer quickly realized that he was actually losing a sale to the Fit! Too bad, the Mazda3 just did not strike the right chords with me after my experience with the 09 Fit. I think I left that salesperson with his head spinning as I rambled off all the features the Fit had over the Mazda3...flat load floor, more versatile/useful interior/better sound system options/higher mpg/lower cost. Plus, the 3 just didn't seem as solid as I thought it should, there was a bit more engine noise in the cabin than I was expecting, even just cruising out of the parking lot...just another reason I chose the Fit, it seems they have a pretty good NVH team over there at Honda Japan!

Sorry for ramblin' man! Just my .02
I lol'd after seeing that front bumper.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
My sister just got an 09 Mazda3 and she loves it. But then again, she only cares if the car is cute or not. I have driven it a few times and it is really nice. It has a gutsy 2.0, and it is definitely sporty. I like it, but I wouldn't know how it compares to a Fit, because I have never driven one. I actually like the new Mazda3. It is so happy! (I am going to get grief for that, aren't I?)

Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno, the Mazda looks pretty "happy"

Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I personally LOVE the 2010 Mazda3 5-door and was really set on getting it. Unfortunately the version I wanted came out to about 25k, and just didn't make sense to me.

I instead got an 09 Fit Sport, which came to about 18.9k when all was said and done. It doesn't have the power of the 3, but it trumps it in reliability (the 3 is just a Ford chassis I believe) cargo size, and price.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper

Old 06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
wow thanks a lot for your opinions! i agree with many of your statements.
i too am slightly bugged about the happy smiley face or "evil grin" on the front of the 2010 mazda 3, but i guess it's because they wanted to emulate the RX8, which imo, is a pretty cool car, but out of my league.

Does anybody know if the power differences makes a big impact on these cars? The mazda certainly felt more "zoom zoom" and it had the thingy to switch over to manual gear shifting, while the fit sport has the paddle shifters.

What really ticked me off with the mazda was that it had like 5 trims, and that not all colors were available for each trim. Since i would get the cheaper trim, there was only white, black, silver, and gunmetal (which is pretty cool). Also, there are no power doors on the s model. This i thought was REALLY awkward. I mean, why have power windows w/o power locks??

Thanks again for your replies

Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
they are kind of in different classes, the Mazda's are more in the Gti, Golf class...I don't even know how to compare it really...you pay more, you get more most of the time...in the case of the Fit though, I think you get a lot for the money...I hear the Mazdaspeed 3 is sick sick sick...but again the Fit is not the Honda equivalent....

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=gradezero350z;673095]Hello all,
I am new to the forums, and I am here to ask for your help and opinions. I'm a college student who needs a car for just getting around to my volunteer work and test prep courses, and also for the occasional commute back home.
I've been shopping around the dealers here and my head is just aching from all the sales people i've seen already.
Since all the Mazda dealers here have virtually no more 09 mazda 3's, i'm ultimately comparing the mazda 3 2010 "s" Automatic version with the 09 Fit Sport (Automatic). I like both cars, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
If anyone who has driven or own these cars can give me some helpful and insightful opinions that would be great. I have test driven both of them, but i'm still very indecisive.
Thanks very much! [/quote

We have both the 3, three Fits, and a MazdaSpeed3.
The Mazda 3 is faster and corners better but only gets 20 mpg; the Fits get 30 mpg and have more useable storage because of the station wagon rear door. The Fits get better tire mileage and some of us think our Fits have better steering.

The MazdaSopeed 3 is in a different solar system. And sub 20 mpg is not unheard of.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned three Mazdas and while I have not driven the 2010 Mazda3, I've spent some time with the previous generation. Mazdas are well-designed, entertaining cars and they drive well. I find they are slightly less polished in design than Hondas, e.g. the occasional rough edge or flimsy trim. We've also had some reliability issues in our first-year Mazda5 that seems to be sorted out in later versions.

The Mazda3 competes with the Civic, it's a bigger car than the Fit and it has a different and more substantial feel. It'll likely ride better on the highway. It's more expensive and will get worse gas mileage. Your call there.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM
thanks for the continued replies. I know the Mazda 3 (2010) is not really supposed to be compared to the Fit, but the Civic and other cars of that class just really appeal to me.
My decision will have to be made by tomorrow or the end of the week at most. I value all your opinions greatly!

Quick Reply: Help with fit vs mazda 3 (2010)