2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit - Camping edition!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
09 Fit - Camping edition!

Will it Fit? 3 dudes and all their gear for a 2 day camping/float trip!?

All right so I am going on a 2 day camping trip this weekend with three friends a plus all their gear. We easily could have made this work by packing smart and limiting our cooler/food cooking options. However, I decided to up the ante a bit here and install a trailer hitch with cargo carrier for the rear of the Fit, to give us that extra bump in versatility and packing options. I will most likely end up placing the coolers back there, or some firewood etc. I also purchased a large weatherproof cargo bag for the new cargo carrier as well, but turns out, they have one that’s too big. (Exchanging that tomorrow). I also picked up a light/wiring set in case we get to crazy with packing stuff back there and possible block the view of my taillights. Can’t be to safe with this thing, most are not expecting something like that to be hanging off the back of a Fit!

The best part about this is that not only do we have an awesome eTrailer.com retail store here in STL, but they also take a video recording of the installation as well. Because eTrailer.com has not yet installed a hitch and wiring kit on the 09 Fit, I got everything installed FREE by the pros! I sat back on their leather sofa, munched on Cheetos and had a nice ol’ time there. Oh yeah, and the video should be up on their site early next week. They have an excellent selection of bike racks there which I need to check out soon as well. Overall very successful trip so far. We’ll start packing all of our gear Friday morning. I’ll snap a couple pics once we get every last thing loaded, then after the trip I will post them on here.

On to the details:

We have here a 1 1/4” type 1 trailer hitch and other items purchase from eTrailer.com

Hitch – $ 104 Code: 24826

Cargo carrier –$ 129 Code: 52017

Light kit - $ 39 Code: 52014

eTrailer completing installation of the trailer hitch.
I am assembling the cargo tray and mounting/connecting the lights.

This pic shows of my stellar cable hiding techniques.. lol

This rack can carry 150lbs.. Once we get all of our gear packed in here I will snap a few more pics and share them with yall'. The first upgrade that comes to mind is some better brake lights back there! Like some slim LED strips or something. These pieces of crap are already comming apart so, something will most likely change with this in the near future as long as everything I find has that stadard three prong plug...... Later!!

Last edited by reako; 06-17-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I think I'd recommend putting the coolers in the back and a bag/duffel full of tents, sleeping bags, sleeping bag pads, clothes, etc on the rack. Coolers (if they're full) are pretty heavy. The rack puts that weight 1-2 feet behind the rear bumper which is a pretty long lever arm from the rear axle and makes rear sag worse. You're better off putting the heavy stuff in the car and the lighter stuff on the rack. In fact, if you can fold one of the rear seats down on the drive, put the heaviest stuff in the location next to the rear passenger and you get some of that weight on the front axle.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I think I'd recommend putting the coolers in the back and a bag/duffel full of tents, sleeping bags, sleeping bag pads, clothes, etc on the rack. Coolers (if they're full) are pretty heavy.
I dunno about that, I'm not a camping/towing expert, but I'd rather lose the cooler than my tents and sleeping bags. I also doubt that their coolers plus stuff is over 150#. just my 2 cents

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
good luck dude. Make sure you keep an ear open in case something falls off.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'd recommend putting the coolers in the back and a bag/duffel full of tents, sleeping bags, sleeping bag pads, clothes, etc on the rack. Coolers (if they're full) are pretty heavy. The rack puts that weight 1-2 feet behind the rear bumper which is a pretty long lever arm from the rear axle and makes rear sag worse. You're better off putting the heavy stuff in the car and the lighter stuff on the rack. In fact, if you can fold one of the rear seats down on the drive, put the heaviest stuff in the location next to the rear passenger and you get some of that weight on the front axle.
We will consider that txmatt! It would be nice to have the cooler inside the vehicle to allow access and keep temperatures cool. Once I get the proper size cargo bag (weatherproof!) today, this area can accommodate sleeping bags, duffel, and other lighter bulky items.

Last edited by reako; 06-11-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
good luck dude. Make sure you keep an ear open in case something falls off.
Thanks. I bought several very high quality straps if we use it for the coolers, and the gear bags are well designed and very secure. If it looks like too much tongue weight once we start to organize how we are going to pack the Fit, we will make the appropriate adjustments.

Last edited by reako; 06-11-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Just fyi... the UK towing specs (since we're not given any in the US) state a 70kg tongue weight which = 154 pounds. The shipping weight of the rack is 49 pounds. So now we've only got ~100 pounds to play with under the UK ratings. If the US Fit has softer springs/shocks in the rear than the Jazz does, tongue weight carrying capacity would be even less.

You'll just have to see what the sag is like and what you're comfortable with. Definitely get back with us and let us know how the trip goes. We're hopefully planning a week-long trip this summer and will likely either do a rooftop rack and cargo box or a rear rack like this. Will definitely be interested in your experience with it.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
so that basket won't twist or anything with stuff on it going expressway speeds?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
First post, but were it me, I'd put the cooler on the back cargo carrier but keep it empty until I got close to the campsite. Then stop at the store and load'er up with beverage, steaks (or burgs & dogs)and ice.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
Just fyi... the UK towing specs (since we're not given any in the US) state a 70kg tongue weight which = 154 pounds. The shipping weight of the rack is 49 pounds. So now we've only got ~100 pounds to play with under the UK ratings. If the US Fit has softer springs/shocks in the rear than the Jazz does, tongue weight carrying capacity would be even less.

You'll just have to see what the sag is like and what you're comfortable with. Definitely get back with us and let us know how the trip goes. We're hopefully planning a week-long trip this summer and will likely either do a rooftop rack and cargo box or a rear rack like this. Will definitely be interested in your experience with it.
Yep, I went with a couple folding chairs, sleeping bags, and soft side clothes bag, then a standard carry on bag. All fits in there quite nicely. Not saggin' too low.

Two 50qt. coolers and another small cooler.

More posts later dudes, it's time to camp out!!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daelb
First post, but were it me, I'd put the cooler on the back cargo carrier but keep it empty until I got close to the campsite. Then stop at the store and load'er up with beverage, steaks (or burgs & dogs)and ice.
Yeah usually thats the way to do it man, but I have everythin here all ready to go so, were just gona hit it man.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
so that basket won't twist or anything with stuff on it going expressway speeds?
Hope not! Id like to think its very stable!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Well atleast it's better than the "Fit Type R's" I've been seeing lately.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
zonianjohn, if you died, I wouldn't even care.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
I took a ton of photos and will update this thread Sunday. Time to head out!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Alright so the trip was perfect. The cargo carrier was awesome!! I have a lot of pics to upload and will update further asap.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I want to see those pics!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Revelie
I want to see those pics!
Of all people....you were there, man!! lol I will get pics up tonight!!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Alright guys, a few pics as promised...

Wheel well before loading equipment:

Pic fully loaded with gear for 3 people + one person in rear seat.

Full pic side view – gear for 3 people (3 coolers, chairs, gear) + 1 person in rear seat.

Gear pic from rear.

Arriving at campsite

Example of the type of items we packed in the cargo carrier to keep it light. (sleeping bags, chairs, backpacks etc.)

The number one most important thing to consider when using this cargo carrier is the fact that the right corner sits right up near the exhaust pipe. If you use a full cargo bag like I did, you will not only melt and destroy any straps you have in front of the exhaust, but you will also melt the bag and damage the items inside. What I did is simply pull the bag away from the exhaust, divert the strap to the far right side and tighten, then place a gallon milk jug full of water here. This protects you for trips under 3 hours.
See this pic to see where the issue is:

Here are a couple quick shots from Elephant Rocks State Park in MO - we stopped here on our way to our float/camp spot. It was a couple hours out of the way but totally worth it:

And the best part - my buddy jumped down on this rock from the left (some of this rock is cut off in the pic - trust me it was too steep to jump back up)....before realizing there was NO WAY BACK. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often out here lolol. Anyway he ended up tossing the video camera to us and sliding down. I don't know why but the scale is all off in this pic, man that was a huge jump down - at least 10':

Last edited by reako; 06-17-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 Fit - Camping edition!