2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40.12 MPG On Most Recent Fill-Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
dgs
40.12 MPG On Most Recent Fill-Up!!

Okay guys, I apologize in advance for starting another gas mileage thread but this little car simply amazes me! As I always do, I set my trip computer to zero at my previous fill-up and then I filled up today and it read 294.9 miles. It took exactly 7.35 gallons to fill my tank, which equates to 40.12 mpg. Those 294.9 miles were driven over a course of two weeks in the worst possible conditions; extreme heat (it's been over a 100 degrees for the past few weeks in Dallas) so the A/C is running full blast at all times, lots of stop and go traffic, a good bit of idling, and a lot of runs up the tach due to frustration from the traffic.

It is just amazing to me to get this kind of mileage in those conditions. I have never gotten under 36 mpg in any fill-up since I bought the car five months ago. 36 mpg was my absolute most aggressive driving (not street racing) when the car was newer and I was bringing it to redline a lot (but no A/C, it was cooler out then). But the mileage is just getting better as the engine continues to break in.

Us Fit owners have been saying over and over the EPA ratings for this car are jacked. So many people see the EPA ratings and bitch the car should get much better mileage for a little 1.5 liter and it does! I just don't understand how the EPA came to those ratings for the Fit. I wonder if Honda can request a re-test or something, because it's just not fair to the car?

My last gas mileage thread, promise.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Uhhh, I need to recalculate what I'm getting. 300 miles sounds niiiiiice! I'd say I read 280-290 when the gas light comes on, meaning I have an extra 60 miles or so. I'm averaging around ~35mpg.

Last edited by Holy_Fit_Batman!; 06-26-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
i dunt know what you guys are doing with your fits but my automatic, my trip computer tells me i get about 34 with mixed city/highway driving, and when i actually do the basic division I find out im getting round 30. PLEASE HELP

Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by ERyan1189
i dunt know what you guys are doing with your fits but my automatic, my trip computer tells me i get about 34 with mixed city/highway driving, and when i actually do the basic division I find out im getting round 30. PLEASE HELP
hmmm... that's not so good. I don't know what to tell you. The only difference between your car and mine is I have the manual transmission. Supposedly the manual and auto get the same mileage but usually in real world driving the manual does better.

Like I said, I set my trip computer to zero every time I fill up and then divide by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank at the next fill up. I never partially fill up, I always let the pump click off. I do not rely on the instant mpg meter because it's not accurate. I don't even look at it anymore really.

Maybe it's your driving style too. Do you floor it every time the light turns green and every second traffic moves up? I take off pretty easy from redlights and I drive pretty easy in bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
i dont care what the booklet says, i think that standards get better mpgs than a auto. any way the fit does get great gas millage regardless what the gauge says. just put in 10 gallons and drive till the light comes on, add another 30-45 gallons and volia your over all mpg,s

Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
have you poked around the ecofit forum? lots of good tips there... this is a good thread
I suppose some good advice is to step on the gas as if there was an egg on it and don't use the brake (you would tend to coast more)

Last edited by cab0053; 06-26-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't feel bad. I use the same calculation method as mentioned by dgs and I only manage 26-29mpg. I try to coast into stops and not accelerate hard but mileage stays the same. I have to use A/C because it has been 95+ degrees in TX for the last two weeks. Also here in Dallas everyone and their mothers drive trucks or SUV's so I have to accelerate pretty quick or my ass will get ran over. My highway driving is very minimal.

However, the good news is my family lives in Austin, TX which is about 3 hours south of Dallas and I average 38mpg with A/C on and the car loaded with luggage, my girl, and my 60 pound Boxer!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I get 30 mpg or less in mixed city/freeway driving around here. I'm pretty sure that's what most people are getting. Even when I do all the hypermile stuff I can, I don't get much more than 30 mpg. Flat freeway driving (e.g. Phx to Tucson) at 75 mph I can get near 40 mpg. Hilly freeway driving (e.g. Phx to Flagstaff) I get a bit less than 35 mpg.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the past week the Texas heat has been the shits. 100+ EVERY DAY, WITH HUMIDITY!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
i have to have a heavy foot my wife well get about 320 miles on one tank of gas ill only get about 280-290 but as for MPG its all the same she well get around 39-45 mpg ill get 35-40

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Floridas just as bad with the heat, its been 100+ here. My mpg has gone down to about 33 due to AC and having to use more throttle to overcome the power the AC is using up.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I was gonna quip about you Texan flat landers and manuals getting the mileage you do and then another Texan chimes in with not so great mileage...guess it really boils down to a combination of region/driver/build. At least it falls within the rated EPA numbers as a minimum and rewards the lucky with stellar numbers. Better than the good ol' days when actually getting up to the rated mpg was the rarity. The Fit is the first car that I've owned that actually gets better than rated. A welcome change...

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
dgs
I think I jinxed myself by starting this thread. I filled up on Thursday night and set my trip computer to zero as always. I did a lot of driving this weekend and so I decided to re-fill again tonight. I drove 158.8 miles and it took 6.32 gallons to fill up, which equates to 25 mpg?! Damn, what happened? I was driving a little more aggressively and I was driving faster on the freeway than normal, (usually 70p mph, this weekend 80 mph) but I don't understand this. I've been trying to rack my brain since filling up figuring out how this could happen. I know my tires are properly inflated, actually I think with the heat they're over-inflated. I used the same Shell gas I always use. I washed my car on Thursday night so there was no extra aerodynamic drag. My trunk was empty, not carrying around extra weight. I just don't get it. Of course my A/C was on all the time, but it's been on all the time probably for the past month or so.

I seriously hope this is some anomaly because 25 mpg is not acceptable in a car this small.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
I think I jinxed myself by starting this thread. I filled up on Thursday night and set my trip computer to zero as always. I did a lot of driving this weekend and so I decided to re-fill again tonight. I drove 158.8 miles and it took 6.32 gallons to fill up, which equates to 25 mpg?! Damn, what happened? I was driving a little more aggressively and I was driving faster on the freeway than normal, (usually 70p mph, this weekend 80 mph) but I don't understand this. I've been trying to rack my brain since filling up figuring out how this could happen. I know my tires are properly inflated, actually I think with the heat they're over-inflated. I used the same Shell gas I always use. I washed my car on Thursday night so there was no extra aerodynamic drag. My trunk was empty, not carrying around extra weight. I just don't get it. Of course my A/C was on all the time, but it's been on all the time probably for the past month or so.

I seriously hope this is some anomaly because 25 mpg is not acceptable in a car this small.
The lowest I've seen with mine is 30mpg combined using the paddle shifters for a full month with 4 fill ups.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:52 PM
honestly i try to be so conservative with my gas, i coast down hills, i use my cruise every day. i try not to step on the pedal hard. I put full synthetic with a k&n oil filter to try anything.... I think next will be an intake.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I've finally broke 40mpg this weekend.
Combined city/hwy. Last tank was 41.43mpg. Awesome.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
JGW
I keep seeing people saying the meter is inaccurate, so I tested it. Meter showing 40.1 MPG, manual calculation tells me 38.7 MPG. That's only 1.4 MPG off - doesn't seem to be a big difference. Yes, it's off a bit, but close enough for a quick estimate.

I drive mostly highway, AC on in the afternoons (Mojave Desert), and use the cruise control (using the accel/decel buttons as conditions dictate).

Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JGW
I keep seeing people saying the meter is inaccurate, so I tested it. Meter showing 40.1 MPG, manual calculation tells me 38.7 MPG. That's only 1.4 MPG off - doesn't seem to be a big difference. Yes, it's off a bit, but close enough for a quick estimate.

I drive mostly highway, AC on in the afternoons (Mojave Desert), and use the cruise control (using the accel/decel buttons as conditions dictate).
Compare a few more fill ups with the BSM and you'll notice a 10% difference.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been getting 41/42 on my last two fillups xD.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I notice I get around 33mpg with a M/T

However I drive 90% city, so I really can't complain.

Quick Reply: 40.12 MPG On Most Recent Fill-Up!!