2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB

Hi all!

My name is Michael and I live in Long Beach, CA. I have been seriously considering getting a new daily driver and these are my needs/wants:

Less than $20K new
4 doors
Automatic transmission
Excellent fuel economy, and requires regular fuel only
Lots of cargo room and utility
Low maintenance costs
High reliability
Factory iPod support & navigation

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve narrowed it down to these two vehicles:

2009 Honda Fit Sport w/ Nav

2009 Scion xB w/ Nav

I’ll want to purchase within this year to take advantage of the Obama’s new state tax deduction. I also plan to keep the car for many years. I’m not going to be racing around, I tend to drive pretty relaxed and laid back. No track days either, LOL. Not really into modding anymore, so it’ll probably stay stock for the most part. Basically just need a versatile commuter that’ll last until Armageddon

I used to have a 2006 Scion xB and it was a great daily commuter. But due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to sell it.

I recently went to a local Scion dealer to check out the 2009 (2nd generation) Scion xB and it was pretty nice. Has the bigger motor (2.4L) and had a lot of neat features standard. It was basically an improved version of my 1st generation xB. The only gripes I’ve been reading about is the so-so fuel economy (mid-20’s average)

I also have been researching the newly redesigned 2009 Honda Fit. To be honest, I didn’t even consider this car at first because I didn’t really know much about it before I started researching. It sounds pretty promising though. It has amazing cargo space for such a small looking car, and has all kinds of rear seat configurations to accommodate various things, very versatile. Also gets better gas mileage than the xB, which is not a surprise as the Honda has a 1.5L motor. I’ve been reading of people getting close to 40mpg on this thing. I have not actually test driven the Fit, but I do see them around the streets of SoCal, and they look pretty slick. I still have to go a dealer to check it out inside and for an actual test drive.

What do you guys think? Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

myke

Last edited by IBJanky; 07-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i considered the xB, but the 09 FitSports are much better made imho.

plus the FitSports appear hells more sportier than a shoebox.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan

I would have to agree

myke

Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I drive the crap out of my Fit, and I still average 31 MPG. I was actually considering a tC before the Fit, but the lack of space and terrible MPG (for a car that size, from Toyota) turned me off.

Forget the Scion xBOX, get a Fit!

(though I'm of the opinion that their Nav system is really so-so. I'd go aftermarket...)

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Get the FIT... you'll be glad you did

Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

I'd take several test drives in each one & get the one you like, just that the xB looks so unaerodynamic and boxy that it hurts my eyes. Just my humble $.02
And I do happen to understand that some dislike the extreme wedge/wing dart (whatever you want to call it) shape of the 09 Fit. Great example of 2 mostly similar cars at polar extremes style wise.
I would imagine real world MPG could be quite a bit different because of engines and aerodynamics.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Get the Fit, it's definitely the best bang for the buck. The fuel economy alone is worth it over the xB if you plan on keeping it for a long time (and you will be able to because it's a Honda). I wouldn't go for the Navi though, you will probably save more buying aftermarket.

The Fit also holds it's resale value very well.

Last edited by Vanct; 07-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
not being bias or anything here but i pretty much was in the same dilemma as you. I chose the fit due to the fact that it is better made, compared to scion which actually sounds cheap when you close the doors. materials are cheap not to mention the design is crap

The epa mpg on the tc and xb is actually wrong, my friend owns one and he avg out at 17 mpg. Off the line the xb and tc would be a winner due to the fact that it has more hp. If you are considering the xb you might as well get a camry which is about the same price.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Well of course this is a Fit forum I imagine over on the Scion Forum they will be telling you to get the XB. When I was in the same boat and started researching cars, I had never even heard of the Honda Fit. I bought my FIT last September after waiting about 4 to 5 months for it. It was the longest wait ever, however I absolutely love my FIT. The space in the FIT is amazing, I average anywhere from 31 to 36 mpg. (depending on driving conditions) I have slowly changed anything that annoyed me. In my case it was the seat material, while the seats are very comfortable, the material attracts lint, hair and just about anything floating in the air then sticks like velcro. The horn was really weak to say the least. I put a different arm rest in. I was just thinking last night how grateful I am for my little car, and it is one of the best cars I have ever had.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Get the Fit, it's definitely the best bang for the buck. The fuel economy alone is worth it over the xB if you plan on keeping it for a long time (and you will be able to because it's a Honda). I wouldn't go for the Navi though, you will probably save more buying aftermarket.

The Fit also holds it's resale value very well.
Yeah, Honda vehicles usually hold their value better than most other manufacturers.

As far as the Navi, I want to get it because I want the Vehicle Stability Assist feature. Also, I like the fact that everything is integrated with the Navi unit, steering wheel controls, iPod, etc.

I do have a question about the Navi unit... is it a DVD based unit (will I need the map disc inside the unit all the time), or is it hard drive based (no map disc required)?

myke

Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Sounds like you've done your research. Now you just need some first hand experience. Test drive the Fit and see if you like the feel of it, you might find some things you don't like about it and contrary to what you read about how good it is.

It's all just opinion. This is the best advice I can give you. So get out there and test drive it instead of hearing opinions from Fit owners LOL

Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I personally think the sitting position and space in the Xb is top notch and a bit more comfortable as well. The fit has a sportier appeal to it and so far has not disappointed in fuel efficiency. Ride quality in the XB is also better IMO, softer more comfortable drive.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
yup, u need the map disc in at all times

btw, fit = ftw
especially if gas mileage is a concern. the xb doesn't even come close.
besides that, everything is subjective, so i'll leave it at mpg.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
Sounds like you've done your research. Now you just need some first hand experience. Test drive the Fit and see if you like the feel of it, you might find some things you don't like about it and contrary to what you read about how good it is.

It's all just opinion. This is the best advice I can give you. So get out there and test drive it instead of hearing opinions from Fit owners LOL
I plan to do that as soon as I get some free time.

myke

Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I looked at the xB and xD. I didn't bother test driving the xB, it was bigger inside and out than I wanted. The xD was nice enough, but doesn't use space nearly as well inside, and I couldn't get nearly as comfortable as inside the Fit.

I think the xB and Fit are two completely different vehicles. Truthfully, the xB reminded me of our long-departed 1997 Honda CR-V: boxy and surprisingly roomy inside. I think either you'll like the Fit, or you'll decide it's not what you want.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I just picked up a new Fit last Friday..White/auto/with Nav like the one you have pictured. I bought it with Nav for the VSA. Looks and features are up to you. But if fuel efficiency is important I would go with the Fit. I'm keeping my first tank of fuel all city. I've only driven 300 miles so far but the read out is showing 35.2 avg. I've heard the display numbers are a little generous so my guess would be I'm still averaging at least 30-32mpg and I'm not driving to maximize economy. This number could increase as it breaks in. I owned an automatic Scion tC. Drove it the same way I drive the Fit and averaged 20-22mpg combined! I don't think you'd do much better with the xB unless it has much better gearing.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
um...er..hold on a second. you're on the FITfreak.net forums asking if you should buy a fit or some other car... well. i got 100 bucks that says ppl will tell you to buy a fit. i know that's what i recommend. the fit is go! lol

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
My wife and I considered both, but we decided on the Fit. We chose the Fit due to the five speed automatic with shift paddles, the Magic Seats, better fuel mileage (we're averaging ~34mpg in the city, ~38mpg on the highway), I preferred the handling of the Fit (stiffer ride, quicker steering response), and we liked the interior/exterior styling of the Fit more than the xB.
We own a tC, and the car has been reliable (knock on wood) and gets ~27mpg.
Both should be good daily drivers, but the xB will ride better and have a more relaxed ride. IMO , the Fit is a more enjoyable car to drive overall.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thought about the XB myself, but the interior was a bit odd, gauges are in funky spots, MPG is almost 3-5 MPG's better in the Fit...and you can put almost as much stuff in a fit as you can the XB, plus Fitfreak is a fun community!!!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok guys, I'll need your help with this one:

What's the invoice price for a 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto w/ Navi?

I went to edmunds.com and it says the invoice is $18277 + $710 destination. Is that pretty accurate?

myke

Quick Reply: Which new daily driver? 2009 Honda Fit vs. 2009 Scion xB