2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Powdercoated stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Powdercoated stock rims

I'm debating on powder coating the stock rims. I've done the duplicolor painting rims myself in the past and were happy with them until I've had to touch them up. I want something that looks more professional and also more reliable.
Before someone says it I do not want aftermarket rims. I was looking into some SSR rims but don't really want to spend the $$ on another set of 16's when I like the stock rims just want to change the color.This car is my DD and I want to keep it real road drivable (Sh*tty roads here in Ohio) so I don't want any lower profile tire and also I have had aftermarket rims in the past and never had any luck with them.
So back on subject I was wondering if anyone has powder coated their stock rims. I've done some internet searches and it seems like ~$75 per wheel to powder coat. My car is SSM so I'm thinking gunmetal or matte black any one have any pics? TIA

Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking the same thing. Dont want to spend so much on aftermarket rims when the stock ones look fine. I was thinking on getting mine polished..I think gunmetal would looks awesome on a SSM.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
i've heard powder coated rims can chip pretty easily. i also think painting the stock wheels can look pretty bad, however gun metal or black probably wouldn't be too bad.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by phillip
i've heard powder coated rims can chip pretty easily. i also think painting the stock wheels can look pretty bad, however gun metal or black probably wouldn't be too bad.
Yea after reading this just now...
powdercoated wheels - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

I'm wondering if powder coating is really the answer for me. For some reason I thought powder coating was more hardy...apparently not.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Dude powdercoat is really tough! My rims are going on a year old now with the powdercoat paint job and they still look shiny and brand new!

Check out Wheel Medic they are down in Clintonville. I could probably get you a sweet deal on it too I'm good friends with the owners family and mine cost $200. They have any paint imaginable, plus shadowchrome, a bronze powder-metallic color, etc. and they also do machined or colored lips.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I may check them out soon myself. I have heard wheel medic does good work.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Dude powdercoat is really tough! My rims are going on a year old now with the powdercoat paint job and they still look shiny and brand new!

Check out Wheel Medic they are down in Clintonville. I could probably get you a sweet deal on it too I'm good friends with the owners family and mine cost $200. They have any paint imaginable, plus shadowchrome, a bronze powder-metallic color, etc. and they also do machined or colored lips.

Tek your the man. That's the reassurance I was wanting to hear. I will def. have to look into it. How long did it take them to paint them?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I was debating having this done too and talked with a local company that does a lot of powdercoating rims. He said they powder coat and clear coat and that the color would be great unless you curb them or have a run in with a solid object. The only issue I had was having my car up on jacks for 2 days and doing without it. So I am still thinking it over and I have to agree with you - the stocker rims are much stronger and better than any aftermarket rims unless you have the money to spend on something other than Rotas. I really think the stock rims look pretty nice and seeing as so many people get theirs jacked from their cars - other people must think they look pretty good too.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've been thinking about getting my stock wheels powdercoated as well but don't know if there are any local shops to do this. Where in Ohio is Wheel Medic? I might be able to run my wheels up there if it's not too far, reasonably priced and good quality.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Powdercoating is one of the toughest and longest lasting way to apply color to an automotive part. The guy in that link probably got a really cheap coat put on, the difference is easy to tell and its usually a really low price to do the work. if you want it done right pay the price. Call around for quotes and ask to see actual work not just small samples, the shop with the drastic drop in price will usually be the one you will want to stay away from as they will probably use the cheapest powder or cut corners prepping your wheels.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Do let us know what you find out. Once I get the Volk's I would like to get my stockies powdercoated too. Just because they are my winter wheels doesnt mean they need to look stock. There is a place here in dayton that does it, but they kind of gouge on prices.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I too thought about this when I was pricing out aftermarket rims. Decided against it for the following reasons:

$80 a wheel + Tax (Prep, powdercoat and seal). Total of $320.

Lead time was 1 week. So unless you have another set lying around you can throw on the car for a week you will either have to buy a cheap set or let your car sit for a week.

Ended up getting rims from Discounttiredirect.com for $100 a wheel with FREE shipping and $50 off the total order. So in the end it cost me $30 more to get aftermarket rims (even though I thought the stock rims looked nice) and $40 to have them mounted and balanced (at the stealership).

Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Wheel medic is at 2971 silver drive, which is just south of N broadway and I-71. Committobefit; it took them like 3-4 hours but they were doing a lot of other wheels and my wheels had some nasty curb rashes machined out first, so probably even quicker. They will charge you $125 a wheel at normal walk-in price. Let me know if you want me to get you a deal. $200 is a much better number, no?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
I wanted to do the same thing till i found out the prices around here.
to expensive. i mind as well buy new rims. they wanted like 125-150
per wheel to powder coat.
all i can say if you can get a deal do it. but if your going to be paying
over 100 a wheel just buy new ones. Just my .02 cent

Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by TekXoID
Wheel medic is at 2971 silver drive, which is just south of N broadway and I-71. Committobefit; it took them like 3-4 hours but they were doing a lot of other wheels and my wheels had some nasty curb rashes machined out first, so probably even quicker. They will charge you $125 a wheel at normal walk-in price. Let me know if you want me to get you a deal. $200 is a much better number, no?

thanks for the info. I'm not in a big rush to get this done and funds are tight right now so I'm just going to put this on hold as of right now. It is something I def. want to get done (hopefully this year) but I have a lot of critical stuff that needs done around the house so I can't just throw money around too much right now. I will def. be hitting you up when that time comes around. Thanks again for being able to get me the great deal.

On a side note there is Auto X w/ the SCCA tomorrow morning over at the OSU campus off of Ackerman. I'm rolling out to observe some good auto x. Come out if your not busy.
Schedules