2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Da Beast Got A New Grille!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 PM
dgs
Da Beast Got A New Grille!

Man it just cracks me up referring to this car as a "beast." The irony...

Anyway, I got my Mr. Grille grille installed today and I took a couple of pics as I went along.

Here is a pic of the grille itself. It's a high-quality piece, I'm very impressed and was well worth the money:

Now here is the "technology" to hold it all together. This is very advanced stuff and I believe Mr. Grille has a patent on this new fastening technology:

Okay, first thing to do is remove the OEM grille cover on the top so have you have room to work:

Here is a shot with the cover off. Notice the 1.5 liter monster of pent-up energy there in the background? Be afraid, be very afraid:

Okay, after a bit of hard work (not really) the grille is installed. The zip ties work beautifully. But really it's all about function over form for me and for that the zip ties are beautiful. No screws to rust, strip, or loosen. I was very pleased with how quickly Mr. Grille got my grille out to me after payment. Great Ebay vendor to work with in my opinion. No more condenser damage to worry about!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks good. Who did you get it from and how much was it? I'm about to get a fit (probably this coming week if the Cash for Clunkers or CARS details get figured out by the 24th like they said they would) and am concerned about the condensor protection as well.

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM
damn, tht is sexy

Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by warner
Looks good. Who did you get it from and how much was it? I'm about to get a fit (probably this coming week if the Cash for Clunkers or CARS details get figured out by the 24th like they said they would) and am concerned about the condensor protection as well.

Let me know and thanks,

Warner
The grille including shipping was a $100. You can go cheaper and buy some wire mesh from a hardware store but I would rather buy something of high-quality and custom made for my vehicle. The grille is a perfect fit as you can see by the picture. Super easy to install too, took me 20 minutes. I was happy my condenser had no bent fins, only a couple of dead bugs which I brushed away. It is piece of mind now that I won't have to worry about it being damaged.

You can get the Grille on Ebay at 2009 Honda Fit Billet Grille Grill:eBay Motors (item 380139262749 end time Jul-20-09 23:08:37 PDT)

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I ordered that same grill a few months back, but the one I got in the mail did not fit (not even close) and it was polished on the front. The package it came in said it was for a 09 Honda Fit, but it may have been the wrong item in the package. I ordered it from wee12 on ebay as well. I will give the seller one thing though, he refunded my money and shipping very quickly and was very good to work with on that.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Ouch $100. I'd rather have something hidden that I can make for less than $10.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
I am looking at the same one. They do not make an upper grill to match. Any plans to do something to replace the plastic on top?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Old 07-19-2009, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
My grill cost less than $10, and cost a little effort to cut out and stuff and it doesn't look too bad at all! I mean, it's a grill, and there's nothing really high quality that you need considering that only large rocks and stuff will be hitting it occasionally. To each his own though! Looks good!

I should also note that the grill isn't completely custom if you have a block heater installed. You'll need to cut a bit of it out for the block heater cable!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
looks good, your comments about each step made me laugh... you could work for woot.com

Old 07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
My grill cost less than $10, and cost a little effort to cut out and stuff and it doesn't look too bad at all! I mean, it's a grill, and there's nothing really high quality that you need considering that only large rocks and stuff will be hitting it occasionally. To each his own though! Looks good!

I should also note that the grill isn't completely custom if you have a block heater installed. You'll need to cut a bit of it out for the block heater cable!
What did you make yours from? Could we see some pics?

Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Lucky you!! No front license plate!!

Although, I will have one area in the front that's chip free.

Last edited by cardinal; 07-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
dgs
Yeah, that's a better instruction guide. It's so easy to install the thing I didn't think it warranted a step-by-step kind of post, but yours certainly puts mine to shame in that regard!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I am looking at the same one. They do not make an upper grill to match. Any plans to do something to replace the plastic on top?
Actually no I don't. Like I said it's more about function over form for me, and in that regard the upper grille serves its purpose. But I can certainly understand if it bothers someone to have two different grilles on the front of their car.

I believe when I was researching grille replacement I saw a few vendors who sold a kit for the upper and lower grille, but they were very expensive (like $200 plus).

Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by cardinal
Lucky you!! No front license plate!!

Although, I will have one area in the front that's chip free.
Well actually because I live in Texas I'm *supposed* to have one. But I've lived here for nine years and I've never put a plate on the front of my car and I've never gotten a ticket. As a matter of fact I've never even been cited for it, which includes the two times I was pulled over for speeding (I hope I don't jinx myself with this thread) I think it looks tacky and it's a waste of money. Additionally it breaks up the aerodynamics of the car.

However if I did use a front plate I would buy from this company, they are really on to something with this plate design: Highway Glider - Home Page

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Well actually because I live in Texas I'm *supposed* to have one. But I've lived here for nine years and I've never put a plate on the front of my car and I've never gotten a ticket. As a matter of fact I've never even been cited for it, which includes the two times I was pulled over for speeding (I hope I don't jinx myself with this thread) I think it looks tacky and it's a waste of money. Additionally it breaks up the aerodynamics of the car.

However if I did use a front plate I would buy from this company, they are really on to something with this plate design: Highway Glider - Home Page
haha that thing looks ridiculous

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
That looks really nice on your car - I love those zip ties and they are always in my garage because they come in really handy.

Cat :x

Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
The grille including shipping was a $100. You can go cheaper and buy some wire mesh from a hardware store but I would rather buy something of high-quality and custom made for my vehicle. The grille is a perfect fit as you can see by the picture. Super easy to install too, took me 20 minutes. I was happy my condenser had no bent fins, only a couple of dead bugs which I brushed away. It is piece of mind now that I won't have to worry about it being damaged.

You can get the Grille on Ebay at 2009 Honda Fit Billet Grille Grill:eBay Motors (item 380139262749 end time Jul-20-09 23:08:37 PDT)

Good luck!
Thanks. I did some quick Ebay checking after I posted that last message and found it. Thanks for the reply though. Really only took 20 minutes to install, huh?

Warner

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Not liking the way it looks.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by hanzo
Not liking the way it looks.
Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions. But remember like I said, I bought it for function, not form, therefore I was far less concerned with how it looked than what kind of protection I would get for the condenser. And for it's intended purpose it does the job I wanted.

Maybe someday Honda will release an OEM lower grill replacement that actually provides protection to the condenser, but until then, Mr. Grille hooked me up!

Quick Reply: Da Beast Got A New Grille!