2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning issues at only 56 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Air conditioning issues at only 56 miles?!

I've got a brand new 2009 Fit Sport that I picked up today! Unfortunately, it looks as though I've already got a problem:

Whenever the A/C compressor kicks in (about every minute or so), there is a massive drain in electrical power. The headlights dim considerably and any interior lights that happen to be on also dim. The noise of the A/C compressor makes my 1984 GMC Sierra sound like a kitten. I'd taken the dealer's Fit for a pretty long test drive with the lights and A/C on during a hot SoCal evening and this most definitely didn't happen.

Is this a normal issue with this car? I'd be surprised if it is. No reviews that I encountered mentioned it at all.

'Appreciate the help.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yes it's normal. check this out on honda's official website. Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

from there, you can go to the page with all the faqs and read up on a buncha other common questions people have.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
yes it's normal. check this out on honda's official website. Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

from there, you can go to the page with all the faqs and read up on a buncha other common questions people have.

Thanks for the link. I'd expected it to happen while stopped, but this is happening on the freeway at 60-70mph. I understand the electrical demands of the A/C compressor, but I never experienced anything like that in my previous car while moving at highway speeds. Maybe I'm just picky. :/

Last edited by Thecrazedorganist; 08-06-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Thecrazedorganist
Thanks for the link. I'd expected it to happen while stopped, but this is happening on the freeway at 60-70mph. I understand the electrical demands of the A/C compressor, but I never experienced anything like that in my previous car while moving at highway speeds. Maybe I'm just picky. :/
I have not noticed anything like that with my A/C on, even at a stop. Have you dealer look at it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
my car doesnt do that. the only annoying thing is the AC kicks in every other min..rather than constantly staying on. but there isnt much noise nor any dimming of lights. i have a 09 white fit sport m/t

Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ein
I have not noticed anything like that with my A/C on, even at a stop. Have you dealer look at it.

Will be there bright and early in the morning.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Mine doesent do that, and I roll with the a/c on 4 usually. Hot here in New Mexico.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
the fit's engine is small and weak so the drain in power due to electrical demand is a lot more noticeable. but go ahead and bring it to the dealer to get it checked out. they can diagnose it a lot better than we can from your descriptions. but to me, it sounds like you're experiencing the normal effects. anyhows, good luck!

edit: oh i drive the 1st gen. i haven't driven the 2nd gen so i cannot say for sure about yours.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Kouki
Mine doesent do that, and I roll with the a/c on 4 usually. Hot here in New Mexico.
Yes indeedy. Hopefully I won't get any guff from the dealership over this.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
the fit's engine is small and weak so the drain in power due to electrical demand is a lot more noticeable. but go ahead and bring it to the dealer to get it checked out. they can diagnose it a lot better than we can from your descriptions. but to me, it sounds like you're experiencing the normal effects. anyhows, good luck!

It's quite possible that this is exactly that. I've only driven much larger cars with much larger batteries and higher output alternators before. I'll check back when I hear from the dealer.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Happens to me all the time. no biggy.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I'm going to need to invest in a slightly better battery. Anybody use the Optima YellowTop D51R? Will installing one void my warranty?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I've had mine for only a week, but by day two I noticed a drop in radio volume when the AC is on and I come to a stop at a light. No idea on the lights. It's been awhile, but i've owned several hondas/acura, so i immediately remembered this from those days. I would be more concerned if yer compressor is really making all that noise...

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
The amount of difference you report does not sound normal. I put 400 miles on a new Fit Sport AT last week in hot and humid conditions in Delaware, with two passengers in the car, and I never noticed any unusual load on the engine or electrical system from the AC. I didn't even notice the compressor cycling at idle. Even Hondas can have problems from the factory, so it's good to have this looked at.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I actually noticed the same thing on my car for the first day I had it, but it went away after about a day. I think the battery was a bit low from my car having sat on the dealer lot for a few months.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
No problems with mine. I have a Scanguage and don't see any noticeable voltage drop when the compressor cycles. The only way I can tell when the compresor cycles is to listen for the radiator fans (they cycle with the compressor when coolant teomerature is OK). Like clicq said you battery may be low from the long journey from Japan and sitting on the lot.

Last edited by spreadhead; 08-06-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
I actually noticed the same thing on my car for the first day I had it, but it went away after about a day. I think the battery was a bit low from my car having sat on the dealer lot for a few months.
This makes a great deal of sense, and given the poor reputation of the OEM battery, the OP may want to make a warranty claim, if the problem doesn't go away. 56 miles of stop and go driving may not be enough to fully recharge a nearly discharged battery. If you have a charger, put the battery on it overnight. If the problem persists, go to the dealer.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
We've not had anything similar. The AC is whisper silent in our Sport/Navi, I can't even hear it cycling on and off. I can feel the incoming air get cooler, but I can't hear it. Asking the dealer seems like the move.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Mine does it all the time. AC works fine though.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
also, don't put the A/C to its max. i leave it at around 3/4 cold. tint your windows, and you won't need the a/c that cold.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning issues at only 56 miles?!