Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   MPG indicator (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/46975-mpg-indicator.html)

Lyon[Nightroad] 12-26-2009 01:27 AM

I probably will not be performing the update. I want to keep it high for resale purposes :) o look 45mpg! Private party sales ftw. Lol and when I purchase a nav system I can advertise it as the fit sport w/ nav. Perspective buyers may be too dumb to actually ask if it has vsa.

rhyneba 12-26-2009 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad] (Post 791697)
I probably will not be performing the update. I want to keep it high for resale purposes :) o look 45mpg! Private party sales ftw. Lol and when I purchase a nav system I can advertise it as the fit sport w/ nav. Perspective buyers may be too dumb to actually ask if it has vsa.

You are joking, right?

citabria7 12-26-2009 06:51 PM

I suppose somebody would be stupid enough to believe 40+ in a car rated 10 mpg lower, but if you feel it's right.. go ahead. (Did you say you were a used car salesman?)

clicq 12-28-2009 04:40 PM

I just got the update done today when I went in for the PA inspection. The service advisor had no idea there was a TSB out; I just gave the service advisor the TSB number and he supposedly applied it... we'll see when I fill up next.

Do I need to reset the trip meter before the update "takes effect"? I forgot to see what the fuel economy indicator read before I dropped it off, but it's reporting the lowest I've seen it yet...

Steve244 12-28-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by clicq (Post 792400)
I just got the update done today when I went in for the PA inspection. The service advisor had no idea there was a TSB out; I just gave the service advisor the TSB number and he supposedly applied it... we'll see when I fill up next.

Do I need to reset the trip meter before the update "takes effect"? I forgot to see what the fuel economy indicator read before I dropped it off, but it's reporting the lowest I've seen it yet...

I think the dealer would have reset it (what does it show?). The update takes effect as soon as the ECU (PCM) is flashed. This probably also clears old stored data. The AVG mpg won't have much meaning until you have a couple hundred miles on it.

specboy 12-28-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 792433)
I think the dealer would have reset it (what does it show?). The update takes effect as soon as the ECU (PCM) is flashed. This probably also clears old stored data. The AVG mpg won't have much meaning until you have a couple hundred miles on it.

Agreed that the dealer probably reset it, especially if you are seeing lower averages already. If the ECU has been flashed, you'll start to see the difference in much less than 100 miles though. probably 20 miles of your regular drive will be suffice to give you a ball-park figure and 50-100 miles will give you an accurate reading. A few hundred miles and the tank is getting close to empty... (well, at about 350 or 370...)

~SB

Lyon[Nightroad] 12-28-2009 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by citabria7 (Post 791864)
I suppose somebody would be stupid enough to believe 40+ in a car rated 10 mpg lower, but if you feel it's right.. go ahead. (Did you say you were a used car salesman?)

I'm a far worse demon :) I'm an insurance agent. Besides, the used car market is by nature a lemon market. The average buyer is only willing to pay the average price for a car because it is impossible for him to TRULY know everything about the car even with a mechanic inspecting it. So sellers with a great, well-maintained vehicle do not want to sell their vehicle knowing they will only get a 'good' average price for their 'excellent' car. Therefore, there are few excellent vehicles on the used car market. This causes the average vehicle to decrease further in quality. This causes the average buyer to pay even less. This causes sellers of vehicles with 'good' quality vehicles to stop selling as well. The spiral goes on and on. The only way to win as a buyer is to buy from a friend / family member or buy new or buy a vehicle with a huge warranty left. The only way to win as a seller is to overstate the value of your vehicle.

clicq 12-29-2009 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 792433)

Just checked it this morning and the dealer didn't reset it -- the trip odometer reads 46 miles, but it's only been 15 miles since I had it at the dealer.

Does this mean the TSB wasn't applied properly?

Ein 12-29-2009 02:04 PM

They don't touch trip meter when the software has been upgraded. I filled my tank after the upgrade and reset the trip meter myself.

specboy 12-29-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by clicq (Post 792701)
Just checked it this morning and the dealer didn't reset it -- the trip odometer reads 46 miles, but it's only been 15 miles since I had it at the dealer.

Does this mean the TSB wasn't applied properly?

No it doesn't. The Trip meter doesn't need to be reset to apply the update, The reading won't necessarily be accurate until you've reset the trip gauge but the update can be applied without resetting. Take a trip to the gas station and drop in 1.5Gal of Gas (or less) to fill it up, then reset your gauge and keep an eye on it from here on in. It should be much closer now to your actual calculated mpg than before.

~SB

eddie777 12-30-2009 08:57 AM

Canadian dealers?

So have any Canadians successfully gotten their dealer to apply this SB? I just did my latest calc: 2253 kms on 191 l = 8.5 l/100km. Gauge = 7.4. Difference = -13%. This is pretty consistent with what I've had all year.

I called my dealer who said they didn't any info on this and told me to call Honda Canada. I called them and they told me I would have to talk to my dealer. (Incidentally, I've called Honda Canada 3 times since I bought my Fit and they're basically useless - their response every time no matter what the question or issue is "you'll have to contact your dealer").

So I emailed the SB to my dealer and am waiting to hear back from them. They seem willing to look into it but I'm sure it would be helpful if they got some info from corporate.

So any success from fellow Cauncks?

clicq 01-08-2010 05:05 PM

Update worked!

Just to add another data point, I had the update applied, and for the most recent 2 full tanks:

Manually calculated: 32.3 mpg, Car: 34.8
Manually calculated: 35.3 mpg, Car: 35.3

So I think it's good now! The discrepancy of the first one is probably because I got gas in NJ so I wasn't the one operating the pump...

eddie777 01-09-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by eddie777 (Post 793093)
So have any Canadians successfully gotten their dealer to apply this SB? I just did my latest calc: 2253 kms on 191 l = 8.5 l/100km. Gauge = 7.4. Difference = -13%. This is pretty consistent with what I've had all year.

I called my dealer who said they didn't any info on this and told me to call Honda Canada. I called them and they told me I would have to talk to my dealer. (Incidentally, I've called Honda Canada 3 times since I bought my Fit and they're basically useless - their response every time no matter what the question or issue is "you'll have to contact your dealer").

So I emailed the SB to my dealer and am waiting to hear back from them. They seem willing to look into it but I'm sure it would be helpful if they got some info from corporate.

So any success from fellow Cauncks?

Great news! I emailed a 2nd dealer (never did hear back from the 1st one) and this was their response:

Honda Canada just released a ECM update for "Information Display Shows a Lower Fuel consumption Than Actual". Happy to perform this update for you any time, just give us a call and we can set up an appointment.

Glad to see Honda Canada finally got their act together 1.5 months after Honda America. And kudos to dealer #2 (which unfortunately is much farther away from me than dealer #1).

GhostHack 01-12-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by eddie777 (Post 796957)
Great news! I emailed a 2nd dealer (never did hear back from the 1st one) and this was their response:

Honda Canada just released a ECM update for "Information Display Shows a Lower Fuel consumption Than Actual". Happy to perform this update for you any time, just give us a call and we can set up an appointment.

Glad to see Honda Canada finally got their act together 1.5 months after Honda America. And kudos to dealer #2 (which unfortunately is much farther away from me than dealer #1).

Most Honda dealers in southern CA still don't know about this update. I called 5 dealers and none of them know about this update. I finally took the service bulletin to one dealer, Norm Reeves West Covina, and they did the update, but I had to come back the second time because the first update didn't work. Very nice service.

The other 4 dealers were like b*tches, giving me a VERY hard time about this update even though I told them about the service bulletin. One of them became extremely defensive when I told him about the service bulletin. He kept saying that he won't accept the warranty repair since the service bulletin is for internal use only. Goudy Honda (Alhambra, CA), Honda of Pasadena (Pasadena,CA), Norm Reeves Cerritos (Cerritos, CA), and Freeway Honda (Santa Ana, CA). I will call Honda America and file formal complaints against these 4 service depts. The Avg MPG is blatantly incorrect and a production flaw and these service depts are giving me a hard time to get it fixed.

Also, if you don't have the service bulletin with you when you're getting the update, have the service advisers use "MPG" as the keyword to look for the service bulletin in their system.

awptickes 01-12-2010 02:12 PM

Are you near Santa Clarita? Show up at HPD's HQ and get them to do it. lol.

GhostHack 01-12-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by awptickes (Post 798364)
Are you near Santa Clarita? Show up at HPD's HQ and get them to do it. lol.

I got it updated at Norm Reeves West Covina.

awptickes 01-12-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GhostHack (Post 798398)
I got it updated at Norm Reeves West Covina.

O. Rite. I can't read -- ignore me. lol.

B-Blue 01-12-2010 03:56 PM

Those this apply for the 2010 models? Cause I've only gotten 33.8 mpg so far.

awptickes 01-12-2010 04:36 PM

Nope, only 2009 models.

jdubau55 01-13-2010 12:54 PM

After reading over the first few pages I figured it was one long gripe thread. I know that most of the time these calculators are off.

Nice to see that once I went to the last page that Honda has actually addressed this issue. I feel like other manufactures would just let it go.